Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I thought the biggest rort with the franking credit refund was people with large SMSFs. Since the profits of your super are only taxed at 15% it means that investors get about half their franking credit back. This was sometimes in the $100,000's per year for some of the bigger SMSFs.

I do agree that it does generally hurt people who are earning less than $37,000 a year (tax bracket of up to 19 cents on the dollar) who have some NRMA or AMP shares they were given than it will people with large portfolios. The fairest thing to do would be to scrap the franking credits all together as they shouldn't exist in the first place. I say this as someone who has a fair chunk of their saving in Australian shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

According to the Guardian, Labor has caved and exempted pensioners from the franking credit rebate.

They should have just put a cap on the amount and then have it reduce over the coming years, allowing people to restructure their finance.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

Larissa Waters has, to no-one's great surprise, been selected as lead candidate for the next senate election. She ended up with 94% of the 2-candidate preferred vote, leaving Ben Pennings sitting at second place and Navdeep Singh in number three.

Good

• Locked thread