Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
That account is p. good:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
barnaby the beetroot cuck

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Comstar posted:

Looks like CALTEX 75% stores were stealing from their workers and they are SHUTTING DOWN EVERYTHING to cover it up and sweep it under the carpet.

Just like every other case of this, nothing will happen to head office.

they should do what everyone else seems to do in the industry, and put as many employees as possible on traineeships. Low pay and sweet handouts from the taxpayer!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Anidav posted:

Unions NSW and some tradespeople are calling on the Federal Government to set up an independent regulator to oversee the emerging gig economy, amid concerns workers' safety is at risk.

Every time I look at airtasker I see poo poo that needs a licensed sparky, but people are offering what amounts to about $15/hour gross for the job. Then there's the jokes like "end of lease clean for 3 br house, $90". gently caress airtasker. For every job that's paying close to a fair rate, there are 20 piss-taking cheapskates trying to exploit the desperate.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
hmm yes it's the 38,742 refugee visas granted between 2011 and 2016 that are making Australia full, not the > 1 million permanent and long term visa arrivals who came in the same time

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

AgentF posted:

Can you opt to not have HECS taken from your paycheck? How does that work?

If you still owe something, maybe have a look at https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/PAYG-withholding-e-variation/

Your employer's payroll dept might want to make sure you sign something like that to get them off the hook. You'll still have to have paid the ATO the correct amount come tax return time.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Glad the greens are going to stop this.

Does that mean she gets $29k in dividends PLUS the $12k rebate? (Ignoring the $130k in other income)

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
One Nation has recently had two candidates who were a Chinese immigrant, and the other the child of Chinese immigrants. One of them got kicked out of the party for homophobic slurs, just to show that the party is somewhere to the left of the SDA. Tsung Chang and and Shan Ju Lin are the names to google for.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 15, 2018

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Cartoon posted:

I've been trying to put this to bed but if you are going to go after the ALP perhaps you should remember this:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/tripling-tax-free-threshold

Now before the ALP did that, even 'modest' 100K share portfolios would result in a taxable income. Which of the shiny giveaways do you want boomer poo poo smears?
tax free thresholds for retirees are different again, IIRC closer to 30k, plus certain income streams are treated differently again (eg defined benefits schemes). Mind blowing examples here.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Recoome posted:

SA is about to experience the “Newman Years”

general question, did Marshall have any actual policies beyond "right turn from king william st onto north tce"

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Konomex posted:

Just had a thought, is there anyone in the new SA Liberal government that has ever actually been in government before? Or is SA about to experience what happens when you're lead by total novices?

Rob lucas was a minister in the last Tory gov, the one that privatised everything and built a one way motorway

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Paracetamol posted:

Google “FHSS” for information on contributing money to your Super fund
Google thinks I'm more interested in frequency-hopping spread spectrum radio transmission than first home super saver schemes. I guess they've figured out I'm in the wrong demographic to ever own a house.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Dimebag posted:

Unless that effect is funneling money to their donors.
I think you're overestimating how competent the SA Liberals are at corruption.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Am I wrong, or will reducing the company tax rate to 25% also reduce the dividend imputation offset that all these hard off pensioners rely on?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

our very own Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Dude McAwesome posted:

It drives me crazy. These loving Liberal MPs putting communities at risk so that volunteer firefighters can have their little hobby of driving around in a red truck.
That's a pretty incendiary description of volunteer rural firefighters.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
all ~50,000 CFA volunteers? I've tried to read up on this CFA/UFU thing but it still makes no sense to an outsider.

The CFA volunteers were certainly welcome relief when they came over to SA for the Pinery creek fire a few years ago, and their skill level wasn't an issue.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Whitlam posted:

I met with a bunch of firefighters not long ago for work and they said a key issue is that there's no basic skill level or training requirement for CFA volunteers, so sometimes they'll rock up to a job and get helpful people who know what they're doing, and sometimes they get there and find people whose only qualification is that they can drive and live nearby.
Bloody hell...with the SA CFS you should at weekly meetings for skills/briefings, plus annual equipment skills maintenance. The initial training course is pretty much the same as the MFS initial training course. (Everyone in the hills thinks that Burnside CFS are knobs though.)

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 30, 2018

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Honestly it's pretty sad hearing volunteer firefighters are a problem because having lived in bushfire country when half the sky turned black it's like the goddamn Rescue Heroes showing up

Seems more like a few tory poo poo-stirrers claiming to speak for all volunteers while pursuing a partisan agenda.

There's no way in hell we can afford to have full-time professional brigades covering remote and rural areas.

It does sound like the Vic CFA is a shambles though.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 30, 2018

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Periphery posted:

If the services of volunteers are required to keep the community safe then they should not be volunteers, they should be paid staff who are fully and comprehensively trained with regular skills maintenance. In my experience, there's no way you can have volunteers commit the required time to get them up to the required standards and keep them there.

The end result is:
I'm pretty confident the majority of volunteers would be fine with a full time professional firefighting and emergency service covering rural and remote areas. Not having to spend 2 hours at the shed on a Monday night or do a 3am callout because someone rolled their car into a gully is a pretty easy thing to sell. The average SA CFS brigade spends ~1000 hours responding to all calls each year, yet at any given moment has a full crew on call. Going by the SA MFS Enterprise Agreement, to cover that with professional firefighters would cost at least 1.2 million per annum. There are about 400 CFS brigades in SA.

Yours and Dude McAwesome's CFA anecdotes are the polar opposite of my CFS experience. Our small brigade had two 3000l appliances, each with 2-4 breathing apparatus, and >95% of the time we had ~*volunteers*~ available who were competent and certified in their use. We used the breathing kits less for for structural fires than we did for chemical spills (we had 3x as many dangerous chemical spills as structure fires). In my time we spent more 4x more hours on more floods or on vehicle crashes than actual grass fires (and nearly all those fire hours were at one big fire), and always had crews on pager duty who were current in all of the apparatus.

drunkill posted:

Existing CFA: 1220 brigades, 1080 career firefighters, 1000 support staff, 35,500 volunteer firefighters
holy poo poo that's a lot of resources, SA CFS has ~130 salaried staff total, and pretty much none of them are front line firefighters.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 30, 2018

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
The long weekend is off to a good start. Today I learned from an age pensioner that the age pension is not welfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Dude McAwesome posted:

What was their reasoning for this? “A lifetime of working hard”?

Yeah, the reasoning was a mostly bunch of feelings around themes like that. Working through it rationally with them is beyond me - they accept that there are more people looking for work than there are jobs, but apparently the unemployed should be 'trying harder'.

• Locked thread