Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

rear end frog posted:

why is nobody mentioning the true nsw crisis of the moment, which is that according to my sources the city of newcastle is completely out of weed

Doritos stock plummets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
So much for not dragging people's names through the mud, and keeping the innocent out of it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SadisTech posted:

wait.

a poo, that consumes other poos?

Queensland the Ur-Poo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birdstrike posted:

DID BARNABY NUT?

DID NUTABY BARN?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I call myself a feminist because generally anyone who dissembles when asked "would you call yourself a feminist?" is no ally for the causes of women.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Dude McAwesome posted:

Welp, after turning into clickbaity trash it looks like ABC has gone full Murdoch and is now just copy/pasting full articles from the Herald Sun. Un-fact-checked full union bashing articles.

Imagine having some dickhead describe your weekends as “annual leave.”

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-06/mfb-firefighters-enterprise-agreement-report-daniel-andrews/

Sad about aunty, she's never been the same since she fell on her head.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Shorten a 'craven populist' for pushing minimum wage rise, Turnbull says

Just look at that headline, just marvel at it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Intoluene posted:

Pot, kettle, etc.

Yeah it's spectacular isn't it. Turnbull who trumpets causes people like but instantly caves to the hard right of his own party, the definition of a craven populist, calls out Bill Shorten for doing literally the opposite of being a craven populist by having a slightly brave policy that idiots will generally disagree is good but is totally necessary for the country.

holy poo poo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Before Times posted:

yeah but Firefighters COULD GET up to 190 DAYS PAID LEAVE*!!!

*that's if they take family violence leave, bereavement leave, all their sick/carers leave, parenting leave, study leave, and all of their rec leave in one year, but we'll focus on how it's UNION THUGGERY GONE MAD

The sad part is even if that was true, I'm like "good for them, everyone should get 190 days paid leave".

There is no crab bucket.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Based on how our entire political landscape has degenerated into a soap and the 30th newspoll will be due next month. I propose next month's thread title be as follows:

Auspol April - The days of our knives

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

That fukkin url, jesus christ ABC the rot is old and deep.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Stay tuned for more incisive brainfarts from the CPG.

But which is which, surely the popular policy is gently caress Adani and the sensible policy is gently caress Adani?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Or better yet don’t unironically buy books on eugenics and phrenology

Yeah only do it ironically. Then get eaten by rats.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Whitlam posted:

I assume traditional overhead threats to women, like fighter jets, space debris, and large apes.

Describing men as large apes, is probably quite unfair to large apes with regards their threat level to women.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
You know what else comes in books?

That's right... anime.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

UM ITS CALLED MANGA NOT ANIME

Trap sprung.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Minister for pursuit of nonconforming thought.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Brown Paper Bag posted:

NV is vastly inferior to Fallout 3. Get on a plane to Perth and fight me bitch

BAD NEWS BUDDY I'M ALREADY IN PERTH.

EDIT: I'm going to hone GSC to a fine point and stab him into your heart.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The issue isn't that "immigration is causing problems", the issue is that "policies by the governments of the last 15 years are causing problems".

They've had high immigration without requisite spending and investment in infrastructure.

Saying immigration is a problem is the dogwhistle because it's framed as a fault of immigrants rather than a fault of governments who chose those specific policies that are causing these issues.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

its probably more to do with the fact that the background level of political discourse has been anti-refugee since about 2001.

No everything must be considered without any context! Or else how else can we be purely rational randian perfectmen.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Here's some context, the government has stopped the boats, therefore all immigration is entirely legitimate to cities.

I think you're arguing with the wrong person since I never said anything about refugees.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Ok so the solution is to build one really long train with a series of carriages equipped as hospitals and another series of carriages equipped as schools.

I call it the Infrastructure Train.

Snowy Mountain Piercer.

JBP I can understand where you are coming from. It's quite possible that you're right and we've all been so primed by toxicity over the last few years that articles about the problems with a lack of investment in infrastructure (which is the actual problem) discussing immigration seems like it's setting up political goalkicking from Tony Abbott et al. In the context of the recent rhetoric coming out of them to me it feels gross, but that might just be because I expect the worst these days.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

gucci bane posted:

Love to welcome highly skilled workers into my country where graduate jobs are extremely hard to come by. Baby boomers need more money from their shares. Even caring for a second about the middle class youth of our country is dog whistling.

Genius Australian guide to fixing expertise shortages: let companies bring in mid level people with skills for cheap in perpetuity while graduates are never given jobs or skilled up

Underemployment, non existent wage growth and imported temporary workers are a totally discussion about immigration policy levers than infrastructure HTH. Also again, these aren't problems with immigration as much as wealth transfer policies, casualisation, worker disempowerement and union busting. Immigration creates growth, who benefits from that growth is based on government policy not immigration itself.

457 visas are total dogshit though and should have been run out of town with pitchforks years ago, so I guess I agree with you there.

Identifying something that sounds like a lovely dogwhistle isn't actually an argument in favor of the opposite. I honestly don't know what Australia should be doing population wise, whether we should be looking to grow, maintain or shrink. Placing blame with immigration and thus immigrants for the issues we have in this country is total bullshit though and I'm mad at that.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Why is LJ Hooker stopping me from having McCain Frozen Pizzas?

Your freezer isn't broken. Sounds like you can have all the frozen pizzas you like.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
If Labor were serious about the budget deficit they'd roll back the howard era tax cuts.

But har har har. We'll pay for boomers profligacy forever.

Also regarding infrastructure, it's generally understood that infrastructure spending provides ROI of about 1.4 unless your infrastructure is already great, so saying population growth needs more infrastructure therefore may end up not gaining us anything is arguing from flawed assumptions.

I'm not a population scientist or researcher, but I'd imagine the papers about it would take those things into account, as long as they're not being written by the IPA.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

thatbastardken posted:

My portfolio is entirely composed of artisanal brunches.

My avocado stocks have been getting smashed recently.

EDIT: I got slightly burned on sourdough as well.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kill all men, I'm sure there's a good one somewhere who'll be unjustly swept up in the purge but I'm sorry that one possibly existing guy, this was necessary.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Arse posted:

Bill Shorten has launched a class war over the federal budget with plans to raise the top personal tax rate to 49.5 per cent for people earning more than $180,000 a year, doubling down on the ­Coalition’s “big-government” budget by pledging $22 billion more for schools.

Boomers shook.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The arse's attack infographic is giving me hope for Labor help.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of economic literacy: What are the arguments against estate taxes?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the responses goons. Those were basically my thoughts about it as well I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I staked out a hill to die on.

and by die I mean tell an idiot he's wrong on.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Death and Taxes indeed.

Also you know who lead the abolition of the death tax?

Joe Bjelke-Petersen, because loving of course he did.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
http://www.ksbw.com/article/seaside-high-teacher-accidentally-fires-gun-in-class/19426017

High School teacher teaching gun safety accidentally shoots roof and injures student with ricochet. This is artfully timed.

Also wouldn't estate taxes be a non ideological position because it works against wealth inequality which causes economic problems? Obviously you'd need enforcement/taxation/gifting laws to make sure it isn't evaded but yeah.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I too can't distinguish between prejudice based and evidence based policy.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

The massive volatility we have seen in the established global order recently has been driven primarily by an unlikely union between religious and cultural ultraconservatives — such as the Tea Party movement in the United States and the UK Independence Party (UKIP) — and radical leftist movements that would rather disrupt or dismantle the entire framework of government than support a moderate leader.

A perfect example is the ultra-leftist, ultra-anti-American Julian Assange supporting the ultra-rightist, ultra-pro-America Donald Trump or hardcore Bernie Sanders supporters voting for Trump or nobody rather than elect Hillary Clinton. Likewise in the UK, Jeremy Corbyn ran dead on Brexit so as not to offend his anti-establishment base.

The Alliance!

Just imagine being this wrong about everything.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
http://junkee.com/black-comedy-sunrise/151038

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

The best one is that Corbyn ran dead on Brexit because of an anti-establishment base - no, Corbyn ran dead on Brexit because he supported it and has for decades, and his base hated him for it as they are by and large eurocentric. It's one of the issues that Corbyn is a failure on and Hildebrand managed to gently caress that reading up.

Except that corbyn running dead on brexit is poo poo. He may not have agreed with it but he actually campaigned much harder than the tories to remain.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Whitlam posted:

The Batman campaign was the final straw: why I quit the Greens.

"I disapprove of party in-fighting and leaking. That's why I'm writing a piece in The Age about how bad and toxic it is and why I'm quitting."

Yeah it's time to join a party without infighting and leaking such as:
Labor
Liberal
National
One Nation
Palmer United
Bullet train?

Also isn't forcing Labor to run a left candidate a win for the greens irrespective of outcomes? Labor not being able to coast in with right wing shitheads is a good result overall right?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Weatherill made me feel whatever the opposite of shame is about SA. The absolutely only silver lining to this is that Xenophon also got told where to stick it.

The feeling you're looking for is "less shame". I'm pretty sure that's the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Knorth posted:

Which stage of an Animorphs cover is each party?

LNP is the book being stolen from the school library.

• Locked thread