Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You missed BIG COTTON BITCH, but that's because he's a state MP.

https://twitter.com/SofieJW/status/969370142625812480

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Yeah fair cop, I shouldn't imply that it led to great outcomes. What I mean is that it was extremely well resourced, relied heavily on data and expert positions and was well organised to mobilise support etc. It couldn't compete with fear and a twitter handle.
On the other hand she basically ignored places like Wisconsin.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I read this so you have to as well

quote:

Welcome to the AFR Weekend Sealed Section, in which our readers share their sauciest sexy secrets with our very own mistress of the mattress, our reaper of the rumours, the ever-so-naughty Madame Michaelia Lash.

Dear Michaelia,

It was one of those humid, sultry afternoons. Me and all the other girls in Bill's office had been slaving away all day and I was feeling hot and sticky all over. My job involves taking all the large brown envelopes full of hundred dollar bills and Tippex-ing out any weird letters scribbled on them like C,F,M,E and U and I have to confess, it gets pretty boring coz there are so many of them! I was feeling restless, when Bill came in! All the girls immediately sat bolt upright, thrusting out their breasts, hoping to attract just one glance from our sexy boss! And then he made a beeline straight towards me! I could feel all the other girls' eyes on me! He'd never even looked twice at me before! His name is Bill (*not his real name – ed) and he speaks in this hypnotic voice that makes me go quivery all over when he says "wiv" and "uvver". He was eating a meat pie and muttering some pretty steamy things under his breath about what he'd like to do to the Chinese chick in the pie shop! I was soooo jealous! The gravy was trickling down the corner of his mouth. He licked his lips, and I started to feel really randy! He stared at me. Could he read my most intimate thoughts? "I need some cash," he said. "I'm going to see Adani." I was suddenly overcome with a sense of rage and jealousy. Who was Adani? I'd never even heard of her before today! Some hot Indian chick in a sea-through sari? Some Swedish bombshell in Accounts? Some slutty union whore with big breasts under her Hi Viz Vest? What had this mysterious Adani done to catch his eye? What hope did I have? "So you've really got the hots for Adani?" I said, seductively crossing my legs so my skirt slid up my thigh. He looked around nervously. "No, er, I mean, yes, er, I mean, no," he stammered. He looked terrified! He couldn't meet my eyes! I raised a quizzical eyebrow. "Really, Bill?" I said, in my huskiest dominatrix voice, "is that a yes or a no? Adani and I would both like to know…" Bill started sweating profusely. "No! ... Yes! ... No! ... Yes! ... " he gasped. "It all depends on who I'm talking wiv!" he finally exploded, collapsing at my feet in a quivering heap. And at that moment I knew I had him exactly where I wanted him!

Dear Michaelia,

All my life I have only ever had one secret fantasy: to be swept off my feet by a smiling, smirking, grinning millionaire and taken to Paris where together we would pointlessly splash out billions of dollars just for the fun of it! We'd book a suite at the Hotel Georges V off the Champs Elysees and roll around laughing on a big double bed covered in piles of other peoples' money! Maybe the handsome French President would drop by and invite us to a champagne breakfast at Versailles with his schoolteacher mistress! I'd wear my most expensive Chanel outfit and my Louboutin shoes and smile for the paparazzi! But I knew I would never be able to realise my secret fantasy unless I found a man who shared my darkest desires. A man from Goldman Sachs, perhaps! Or an Ozemail millionaire! Or a man with a harbourside mansion! Maybe all three! It would be our naughty secret! We'd call it our Paris Agreement!

Dear Michaelia,

I work in a very high-powered position at the highest levels of the public service. But I have a secret fetish that I can no longer contain. I suffer from a sexual perversion that is known as "unconscious bias". It means I fantasise about all the old, white men hard at work around me and in my mind I replace them all with pretty young brown women, or Indigenous gay men, or Muslim transsexuals in the middle of transitioning, or middle-aged lesbians, or buxom queer African women with frizzy hair, or ... the list just goes on and on! It keeps me awake at night! I can't concentrate on the boring mundane stuff like running the country or keeping the economy growing! What should I do?

Dear Michaelia,

I am a creature of the night, a prowler of the darkness. I abhor the sound of machinery, of industrialisation, of work and toil. I crave the stillness of the wind whistling through slow-turning blades. I long for total blackness, everywhere. Am I normal? Jay, SA.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Is he trying to like that atrocious sky news presenter?

THAT MAN?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Trying to pick my favourite bit and I think it's this:

quote:

I'd expected her to be alone but Landeryou is present as well. So are their dogs Ronnie and Nancy-Jane, a pair of fluffy white cavoodles named after Ronald Reagan, Landeryou's political hero, and the late US president's two wives.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

I was reading an article about how Labor is about to withdraw support for Work for the Dole and what the gently caress, why are welfare participants anywhere near asbestos?

Because asbestos is everywhere, like rats.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

They're only noteworthy down here because they're an aberration, they stand out. In Anidav's beloved Queensland, :scrunt:s are normal and everyday occurrences.

Blair Cottrell has about 0% chance of being elected to a federal seat or senate position in Victoria. He'd enjoy a lot more success in the Sunshine State, however.
However

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

AEROTROPOLIS

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/970246390939926529
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/970246144788807680

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

For Sydney transport chat Michael West has had some good pieces recently on Westconnex and the future of tolls in Sydney.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Visidan posted:

i dont think ive ever seen a poll where the preferred pm is in opposition :monocle:

Rudd was consistently ahead of Howard for 6+ months before the 2007 election.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think he thinks he's shaming the media by pointing out how they only cared about breaking the story and not whether it was actually true.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

People expect Labor to do that kind of thing, it's already factored into their vote.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

removed

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

Joyce couldn't force a spill now though, clearly?

He's not even a member of Turnbull's party.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Who?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nunberg was like that for hours.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I don't even know who he is.
He's a senior ex-Trump guy who is completely hosed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

I noticed this from sky news this morning

Did you guys know that since January Alan Tudge is the "Minister of Citizenship"

What the gently caress is going on with our immigration department lol, they're one goose step away from wearing space marine armor.

How is this allowed lol. Minister of literally gently caress you, learn English and drink VB.

This is basically the title of the joke department in The Thick of It.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/dkrolph/status/971303220176982018

:toot:

Birdstrike and other law stylists might enjoy the judgment.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bandaid.friend posted:

GST isn't meant to be on necessities, is it?
Yeah, which is dumb because it leads to arbitrary decisions based on where food is cooked, or what particular healthcare/wellbeing products count as essential.

Put the GST on everything and then fix any imbalances with the transfer system. If people can't afford tampons then just give them away for free.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Or get rid of a regressive tax all together in favour of ones more suitably aligned to improving social outcomes. MUCH less paperwork for business.
The current exemptions don't work for that well their intended purpose

Treasury posted:

[O]ne-third of the $5 billion exemption for GST-free food (Australian Government 2009, p. 205) benefits households in the highest 20 per cent of the income distribution.

and a lot of the compliance costs are a result of a poorly designed system (including a wide range of exemptions) rather than inherent issues in a broad based consumption tax. NZ has a much broader consumption tax than ours and compliance costs are roughly halved, and Canada and the UK have similar levels of exemptions while still having significantly lower compliance issues.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Les Affaires posted:

Just remember, Rupert will die sooner or later knowing that of the two sons old enough and willing enough to take on his empire for him, one of them refuses to partake in his political views and the other is incompetent in executing them. He will know this and will be able to do nothing to stop it.

What ended up happening with Elizabeth?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JBP posted:

They do if you don't have enough roads. It's not simply fine to blame planning and previous policy for everything then do nothing to address it in the now. Unless you've got a time machine to fix the past, immigration is a stressor on cities and their ability to service growing populations.

They specifically blamed refugees, not immigration as a whole.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Tokamak posted:

hyperloop but for 24/7 sausage sandwich delivery

The Alameda-Weehawken Burrito Tunnel posted:

The story begins in any of the three dozen taquerias supplying the Bay Area Feeder Network, an expansive spiderweb of tubes running through San Francisco’s Mission district as far south as the “Burrito Bordeaux” region of Palo Alto and Mountain View. Electronic displays in each taqueria light up in real time with orders placed on the East Coast, and within minutes a fresh burrito has been assembled, rolled in foil, marked and dropped down one of the small vertical tubes that rise like organ pipes in restaurant kitchens throughout the city.

Once in the tubes, it’s a quick dash for the burritos across San Francisco Bay. Propelled by powerful bursts of compressed air, the burritos speed along the same tunnel as the BART commuter train, whose passengers remain oblivious to the hundreds of delicious cylinders whizzing along overhead. Within twelve minutes, even the remotest burrito has arrived at its final destination, the Alameda Transfer Station, where it will be prepared for its transcontinental journey.

Ever since Isaac Newton first described the laws of gravity in 1687, scientists have known that the quickest route between two points is along a straight line through the Earth’s interior. Through the magic of gravity, any object dropped into such a “chord tunnel” at one end will emerge exactly 42 minutes later at the other end, no matter the distance. But for hundreds of years, the technical challenges of building such a tunnel were so daunting that it remained a theoretical curiosity. Only at the start of the 20th century did the idea become technically feasible, and to this day the tunnel linking the East Bay with New Jersey remains the only structure of its kind in the world.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

How much growth are they creating though? If a 1.5% increase in population through immigration is producing a 1.5% increase in GDP all it's doing is costing more in infrastructure and papering over stagnant economic growth in other areas.

https://twitter.com/BenPhillips_ANU/status/973148172955430913

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

I find it weird that the SMH is doing the journalism that you would expect the ABC to do?

When did Fairfax get teeth?
Fairfax has had decent finance/econ people for a while, it's more a matter of what editorial line gets pushed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hooman posted:

Speaking of economic literacy: What are the arguments against estate taxes?

You could end up with a huge tax bill and no liquid assets. It hurts small farmers and small business owners who want to pass on their hard-earned wealth to their children. etc etc

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Intoluene posted:

Also this, but estate taxes are usually only for above a really high threshold anyway or at least should be.

Oh yeah. All of what I said can be designed around (quite easily), I just was giving a few of the common arguments against them.

Estate taxes are pretty poo poo at raising money but are good at reducing the concentration of wealth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

My favourite fact about the estate tax is how people find the will to leave solely because they get to avoid tax

In 2009, Andrew Leigh posted:

In 1979, Australia abolished federal inheritance taxes. Using daily deaths data, we show that approximately 50 deaths were shifted from the week before the abolition to the week after (amounting to over half of those who would have been eligible to pay the tax). Our findings suggest that the scheduled abolition of the US inheritance tax may lead some deaths to be shifted from the last week of 2009 into the first week of 2010.

See also here, which found that "while the evidence of "death elasticity" is "not overwhelming," every $10,000 in available tax savings increases the chance of dying in the low-tax period by 1.6 percent."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hooman posted:

Also wouldn't estate taxes be a non ideological position because it works against wealth inequality which causes economic problems?
Those economic problems are the price of freedom.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Straight out of this classic image from the WSJ

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/liamvhogan/status/974153481169743872

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JBP posted:

Private school is good if you want access to over the top facilities and stuff
Also networking opportunities.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

29250 EXTRA TAX an increase of 9500

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If I was Labor I'd make sure I had a good answer for Susan's case study because it's the one I can see generating actual sympathy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I know the substance of the answer is "just draw down on it", and I don't disagree with it (or the policy). That's not my point.

She's on 32k a year and the average super balance for 70 year old women is 110k. It's really easy to present her as an average battler being slugged with a tax hit despite doing everything right, especially when you do simple poo poo like mix up mean and median like I just did.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/firstdogonmoon/status/974450656869277697

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Whitlam posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling like the Potato King is trying to set up a leadership challenge? There was the farmers thing and something else within the last couple of days (I'm tired and can't remember but it got him decent media attention), and he's dumb and we're near Newspoll 30...

Probably.

He's taking advantage of Turnbull's weakness to push through as much of his own agenda as he can. He's probably ambitious enough and stupid enough to want to have a shot at the PM's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He could lose his seat.

• Locked thread