Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

bigis posted:

I doubt people give a poo poo enough about Adani for it to impact polling.

I'd be surprised if it didn't in Batman though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

BRB shaving my beard

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

froglet posted:

I'm hardly a coffee snob but the coffee from the coffee club has ranged from bad to terrible the times I've tried it. I don't understand how the franchise is still in business given the consistently awful experience unless their entire business plan is to trick people into trying it one more time.

Pretty sure their market is just old people with no taste buds at the Westfield food court.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Whitlam posted:

I just had someone try and convince me we should keep the level crossings because "grade separation and reduced visibility along the elevated rail would create unsafe situations for children, women and elderly people." That'd be offensive enough on its own, but two children were hit and killed at that particular crossing. :downsbravo:

I don't know what it is about level crossings, but the issue certainly seems to bring out a particular type of loony.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Zenithe posted:

I'm mad, because I haven't finished New Vegas yet.

Yes, this is mostly my fault.

Still mad.

I got 3/4 of the way through it a few years back. Last time I tried to pick it up a s start over, the engine just felt way too many and the early part of the game is a bit slow.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Whitlam posted:

Nah not people living in their cars or anything, more "it's hard enough being a single parent, let alone with two or more kids, let alone if you're homeless on top of that." Buses and trams are (I'd argue) underutilized methods of public transport, but due to their circuitous and slow nature, they aren't always a realistic option, especially if there are multiple competing time pressures (for instance, one kid has after school sport and you also need to be at your housing meeting, which the kid is required to be there for - that's not a hypothetical example, if you're arguing that you need space for a kid they need to come to the meeting where I live). Trains can only go where there are stations. If you've got multiple competing time pressures, your options may be to choose between them or drive.

I've also seen homeless single parents get offered jobs far away from where their housing and kid's school are, in which case their options are a) leave early every day to catch public transport get the kids (which employers are generally not on board with), b) decline the job or c) drive.

Maybe in some hypothetical world you could have a perfect utopian system of public transport that is reliable (which ours definitely isn't), safe and cheap, but we definitely do not have that in this reality, so for some people, cars are a fairly non-negotiable necessity.

So your argument is that people don't use PT because it's infrequent and slow, therefore we shouldn't invest money into making it faster, more reliable, and expanding the areas it covers?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Lizard Combatant posted:

Toilet state for toilet people.

Yeah, the SA Liberals are a bunch of spectacularly boring gently caress ups who offer no leadership or forward thinking and have failed to articulate any vision for the future of the state.

It's so depressing how their entire campaign was just making GBS threads on the progress SA has made over the last few years. The state always had a difficult transition ahead of it, but the Liberals are entirely unequipped and incapable of handling it.

The state can't afford not to change, and this election is the most frustratingly "Adelaide" thing imaginable.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

JBP posted:

I like how millennials can't frame anything outside of fantasy novels for kids so when they try to participate in an election and get screamed at by some lunatic campaigner who hasn't slept in a week they go off and make a bunch of complaints that their feelings got hurt and then tank the election

This is perhaps the closest thing to an accurate post JBP has made about the Batman by-election.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

duck monster posted:

I still have to fix my e-bike. I brought a cheap 200watt one that was actually a 400watt one, but the guy stuck a 200watt controller onto a 400watt motor. Which meant the 200watt controller exploded because thats how electrical loads work. Unfortunately china purchase, so sending it back for refund costs more than the purchase. So I'm probably just going to build my own controller because gently caress it. Might as well put that engineering background to use somehow.

Also, hello Auspol, its been a while

Hi duck monster. 400w is a fair amount of power for a bike. How heavy is it?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

froglet posted:

https://amp.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/shane-rattenbury-calls-on-federal-government-to-reduce-electric-bike-tariff-20180322-h0xu94.html

I know I'm probably the bike-crazy-in-residence in Auspol, but I could see ebikes replacing a lot of cars if there was sufficient government backing.

Also from memory this taxation thing came about recently because an Australian ebike company that didn't even make "street legal" ebikes (i.e. pedelec assistance up to 25kmph) complained about the tax treatment of the imports that were.

E bikes are really cool and the tariff is ridiculous. It's unfair and we should be doing more to encourage people to ride.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

AgentF posted:

Well Pauline Hanson's book did predict that "by 2050 Australia would be run by an Asian lesbian cyborg named Poona Li Hung".

Everyone laughed at the time, but Poona Li Hung sounds like a great leader.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Anidav posted:

By glasses I mean I like do half a bottle on ice.

How do you fall asleep if you're on ice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

JBP posted:

"women with small breasts are not real women".

I specifically recall an MP arguing that this should be the case, don't think it was the law though.

• Locked thread