Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I couldn't figure out where to put criticism of white feminism and TERFS :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Lid posted:

Criticism of TERF is applied to second wave exclusively but white feminist criticisms of third wave exist though not as pronounced or severe than against second wave. Third wave feminism was the early gestation of intersectionality so while it exists it isn't as pronounced as the fourth wave, alongside arguments of feminism and social class/caste. Its most often expressed in brief "their hearts in the right place but they're ignorant."

Full disclosure i'm a third waver.

yup.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

JBP posted:

I honestly get pretty frustrated with a lot of the left libertarianism attached to some brands of feminism. I'm not sure which school it belongs to though.

and the capitalist feminism that likes to go hand in hand with white feminism.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Granite Octopus posted:

I'll just hop into my loving time machine with the newfound information that I won't ever be able to afford a house and let 12-year-old me know. That's really going to help kick-start the anxiety I'll have for the rest of my life. lol.

if I had a time machine I'd sell it and buy a house

e: might even be able to afford something in carlton

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 6, 2018

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I think Dandrews announced $13m to help councils affected last week, but I doubt that's enough

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah, the problems are:

1) you’re correct, it’s not enough
2) affected council = every single council
3) while they did the press release and all to get credit for acting in the two weeks since they still haven’t released details of how the funding will work so how can people start negotiating interim contracts
4) the sustainability fund has like $700m sitting in it and is explicitly purposed for work on improving waste management in Victoria but instead of dipping into it for major market crisis like this they give parks Victoria tens of millions for asset management and dumb poo poo like that

yep and some of the smaller rural councils are fukt notwithstanding the waste management issue.

If it's anything like the majority of vicgov funds, the Sustainability fund is probably chronically oversubscribed and already has too many applications in the pipeline lol

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

my favourite thing is that they're implying staff are going to take advantage of ALL THE LEAVE. it's not like they get paid out if they don't take the 4 days' bereavement leave or whatever

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Dude McAwesome posted:

4 weeks annual leave. 13 public holidays. Average firefighter works 42 hours a week (48 hours over 5 days). Gets paid for 38. Unpaid hours get accrued as leave. It's really not that remarkable. But the Hun loving hates the UFU. They've given the UFU something like 35+ front pages over the last few years. And now other agencies are jumping on a lovely, half-baked story.

yeah but Firefighters COULD GET up to 190 DAYS PAID LEAVE*!!!

*that's if they take family violence leave, bereavement leave, all their sick/carers leave, parenting leave, study leave, and all of their rec leave in one year, but we'll focus on how it's UNION THUGGERY GONE MAD

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

hooman posted:

The sad part is even if that was true, I'm like "good for them, everyone should get 190 days paid leave".

There is no crab bucket.

especially firies and other emergency service workers.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

or, you know, wisely following the advice of the RBA governor: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-29/rba-governor-philip-lowe-goes-marxist/8662228

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

'semi-experienced'

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

https://indigenousx.com.au/amy-mcquire-mainstream-feminism-still-blind-to-its-racism/#.Wp6maBNuY3E

A good read for IWD

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’m the Netflix exec paid to keep Chris Lilley away from the shoe polish

not an emptyquote

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

bandaid.friend posted:

I think Abbott was on radio saying the pad thing is a slippery slope and where does it end etc so of course if you let them take it off pads they'll be taking it off everything

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Tokamak posted:

Living the soy boy lifestyle.

it was actually soylent green

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

drunkill posted:

This thread the last three pages:

me irl

(it's a badge I got at midsumma)

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

200, 000 of australia's richest pensioners to not get cash from paying zero tax

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

My favourite fact about the estate tax is how people find the will to leave solely because they get to avoid tax

See also here, which found that "while the evidence of "death elasticity" is "not overwhelming," every $10,000 in available tax savings increases the chance of dying in the low-tax period by 1.6 percent."

'let's take good care of grandpa joe, at least until next week'

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

career politicians who feel like it's 'their turn' are the loving worst

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I wonder how many of these companies *actually* pay corporate tax as well, or if it's like 'well, theoretically this company pays 30% tax on these dividends, therefore we will assume they actually did'

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

hey rich retiree, here's your cash in lieu of a tax credit for paying 0 tax on profit that was never taxed, yay

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Birdstrike posted:

The company needs to pay tax to build its franking account, which is where the credits come from.

ok good, I was just wondering how high the rort goes lol

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

BBJoey posted:

is it weird to think that if you don’t pay any tax you shouldn’t get any tax returns? because like i feel that’s a fairly reasonable starting point for tax reform

no you see, these people have WORKED HARD all their lives to contribute to the economy and they've ALREADY PAID THEIR FAIR SHARE of taxes because taxes are like a bank account that you cash in at retirement yeah?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Tokamak posted:

He needs to change the parties governing ethics if he wants to enact that policy.

yeah he needs to lose the egalitarian ethic and adopt an autocratic authority

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh hey America finally found a cop they’re willing to pursue for murder charges

(His name is Mohamed Noor and he shot a blonde white woman)

yeah when I read the list of charges I was just like 'wow, they would never lay those charges on a white cop who'd shot a black person in the same circumstances'

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

gently caress me that's a lot

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

But fools seldom differ

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

tbh even a $7 charge would not be enough to make me shell out for ridiculous prices here on some items

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

"this thread is obnoxious!", says the poster who literally has forums cancer

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I lived in the huon before it was cool

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Wrageowrapper posted:

I grew up in the Huon when it was all working class depression and alcoholism and now its all mid-winter festivals and cider houses. The town I grew up in now has a sushi bar. The weird thing is though the locals themselves haven't changed a bit. Its derros in ug boots sipping sav blanc and eating fancy cuisine. Such amazing times we live in.

yes! it is so weird to me that it's become such a desirable location. I lived in Huonville in the 90s and it was definitely not mid-winter festivals and cider houses. There was, however, a chicken feed within walking distance.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

let's just say, when my parents tried to rent our house out after we moved to qld, the youngest kid of our neighbour (who would have been like 7-10, I forget which year it happened) threatened to rape the pregnant lady that moved in.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Australian Conservatives MP Dennis Hood defects to SA Liberals

fuckin lol

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Senor Tron posted:

Can't wait to see the response from Cory. Wonder if the Australian Conservatives as a brand will even last out his entire senate term.

Probably not--they seem to have lost a lot of steam following the marriage survey outcome and given that Turnbull has almost entirely capitulated to the conservative faction of the LNP

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I can't see a way the LNP comes out of this looking good. First, the bill was (I think) about compensation for firefighters whose cancer was contracted in their line of duty. Secondly it's making a big song and dance of being religious and then, whoops soz nvm. Can't look good in a state where there are A LOT of Catholics.

It'll also backfire against them in the next parliament. If LNP win it'll be a hair thin majority, and this gives Labor licence to just say "nope gently caress you" when the LNP legit needs pairs. that'll make it difficult to pass all the legislation they might want to pass

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

also if they've got a one seat majority they better turn up every time because Labor will be more than happy to pass a motion of no confidence in the government to embarass them.

Yep exactly.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

In theory they could use stuff like this to show how bad the LNP are, but they will probably barely bother and then the media will put out a bunch of stories about how the Apex Gang are taking over Victoria.

wrong: they will kick and scream about it and then the media will barely report on it, instead putting out a bunch of stories about how the Apex Gang are taking over victoria.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

JBP posted:

Is there any case law dealing with it actually being a 5000 year old demon inside the little girl?

Asking for a 'friend'?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

you gotta proper citation for that buddy?

rear end 420 69

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I think you mean 420 rear end 69

Fuq

• Locked thread