Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I doubt people give a poo poo enough about Adani for it to impact polling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
QLD was never best state.

bugs-bunny-saw-off-qld.gif

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

GoldStandardConure posted:

interstate rivalry is for people who are actually massive gently caress heads and want someone to look down on, but also want to maintain an air of progressiveness so they can't attack non white people, gay people etc

Gimmie back muh GST

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Why would the ALP need to change from within if they’re going to win the next election anyway? :matters:

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Put the GST on everything and then fix any imbalances with the transfer system. If people can't afford tampons then just give them away for free.

Just wanna say I agree with this entirely. Tax it all then redistribute to the needy through welfare, lower income tax breaks, tax free threshold etc.

Also abolish stamp duty and replace it with land tax for all.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
WA is best state, leeches.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
If you’re a boomer with 1 mil in your super fund surely it’s not that bad if they’re drawing down on these funds instead of a “modest” income from dividends and franking credits.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Just offset your home loan with your cash, guys.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I get it’s dickish to help SA people over others that are more needy but is this a glass half full situation? Isn’t this the most compassion we could expect from potato man?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I can’t get my head straight on this unused franking credits refunds stuff. I’m now reading that this will disproportionately effect lower income oldies because those with high (taxable) incomes will have tax paid to still offset against? Are Labor suggesting that wealthy oldies have their affairs structured so that they have low taxable income anyway?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I see. I think I still agree with the idea of refunding unused franking credits conceptually but I understand it has unfair benefits.

Edit: I guess it comes down to whether you think dividends should be taxed at the investors marginal rate or if you think dividends should be not be double taxed but also not refundable. So maybe this policy is conceptually OK after all.

bigis fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 14, 2018

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
In summary; the more Howard-era policy that gets unwound the better.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/03/gambling-ads-to-be-banned-during-live-sport.html

quote:

Gambling ads to be banned during Live sport

Gambling advertisements will be banned during the broadcast of Live sports between 5.00 am and 8.30 pm on commercial free-to-air TV, radio and pay TV from March 30.

“The new restrictions on gambling advertising supplement existing rules about gambling advertising during live sport and significantly enhance community safeguards during times when children are part of the audience,” said Australian Communications and Media Authority Chair, Nerida O’Loughlin.

“The new rules will also ensure that broadcasters make clear to audiences, including parents, when gambling advertising is prohibited in live sport programming.”

The ban had attracted some opposition from networks and sporting groups, but the government has also given networks a license reduction or money for sporting broadcasts.

Similar gambling advertising rules are currently proposed for online content service providers.

Free TV Australia:

ACMA will closely monitor their operation and after 12 months will consider whether to conduct a formal review of their effectiveness.

Free TV CEO Bridget Fair said, “Free TV is focussed on ensuring that our Code of Practice meets community expectations, including in relation to gambling advertising.”

Free TV has amended the Commercial Television Code of Practice to ban gambling ads in live sport broadcasts between 5am-8.30pm, and during a five-minute buffer before and after the event.

“These new restrictions will prevent gambling advertising being broadcast during live sports at times that children are likely to be watching,” Ms Fair said.

“The community expects that these restrictions will apply across all forms of media, including online. It’s very important that the legislation to apply similar restrictions to online players is put in place as quickly as possible,” Ms Fair said.

ASTRA:

ASTRA’s new rules were developed in conjunction with the industry and approved by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) and have been updated in the subscription television Codes of Practice.

The move addresses public concerns regarding gambling advertising during live sports to ensure safeguards are in place during times that children are likely viewing.

The ASTRA Codes include a conditional exemption from the new rules for sports channels with a very low audience share (0.5% of the viewing audience). The ACMA has placed strict limits around this exemption, which will ensure it is only available to the very small sports channels on the platform, and will not apply to any Fox Sports channel or to any nationally significant events. Existing gambling advertising limits will continue to apply to these small channels.

gently caress yes.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

To me, these calls for a recession now are basically a big ol' dose of accelerationism and anyone that is actively wishing for a forest fire to pass through their community hasn't thought about it properly.

This is the way to think about it. Congrats, you've bought a house while everything crumbles around you?

Surely you guys understand the government is going to prop up investors to the very end at the expense of the young.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Konomex posted:

Suck poo poo SA, WA best State. Woooooooooo. That's the sound of the wind in my hair because I'm riding the Metro net around the city. Not through it. Around it, Midland to Armadale y'all, Bogans unite.

Aww yes come porkbarrel WA.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Lol do people in this thread actually think open borders would work? Wouldn’t house prices get even more turbofucked?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

eXXon posted:

I think the most important change Labor could make right now is putting the u back in. Would it not be a catchy trendy hipster millennial move like "putting u back in Labour" and then there are pictures of smiling happy secure middle class twentysomethings?

This is genius, get Bill on the phone.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
It’ll still be nice and awkward. Enjoy it for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Put up an Airtasker request

• Locked thread