Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The best Bond is Roger Moore. Even his name is a double-entendre.

Plus he generally fights goofy pantomime villains with cartoony plots to take over the world, which is far more entertaining than the job of real British spies: to maintain and enforce the remnants of British imperialist rule at all costs through violence, corruption and the suffering of innocents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

peekaboo gangster posted:

It's been a few years since I've watched GoldenEye, so I might have to go back and re-evaluate it, but I just remember it leaving a bad taste in my mouth (and ears, good God almighty the soundtrack is trash).
David Arnold described it as "someone throwing dustbins down an elevator shaft". (Although I have to say I genuinely like 'The Goldeneye Overture' - the opening piece where Serra rearranges the classic Bond theme on kettle drums - and 'Run, Jump and Shoot' when Brosnan is chasing Bean around the dish.)

I only recently discovered that Arnold's score for the ice palace car chase in Die Another Day, which sounds really weedy and underwhelming on screen, was mullered in the mix. The original version has a big techno underpinning, which makes it a lot more propulsive, that's been completely erased in the actual movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Timothy Dalton as a Bond villain would be goddamn amazing.
The Rocketeer and Hot Fuzz should give a pretty good approximation.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cacator posted:

Craig has one more movie left.
Craig saying that he wants to do one more Bond because he wants to "go out on a high note" made me smile, because it makes it very clear that even the star thought Spectre wasn't one.

I read the script recently because I was sure I must have forgotten some explanation of how Blofeld could possibly have orchestrated everything that happened to Bond in the previous films as part of some master plan to torment his "brother". Nope; they really did just go "yes, it was all me!" and leave it at that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Skyfall seemed to come too soon. We went from Bond's first mission, directly followed by his second mission in QoS... then suddenly he's a washed-up, jaded, self-doubting burnout who fails miserably at everything he does. Fifth or sixth film, maybe, but the third?

Also, Silva's such a mastermind planner that he knows to the second when he can drop a loving tube train on Bond and exactly where and when M will be attending a secret government hearing despite having been locked in an isolation cell, but he didn't foresee that she might leave him to die on a mission where he was given a literal suicide pill. What was he expecting?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
How Purvis and Wade have kept their writing gig on the series (everything from TWINE onwards) when all their scripts have been flawed at best and poo poo at worst is a mystery.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Bond escaping the base in Spectre was basically 'aimbot LOL'. It has to be the most tension-free action sequence in the entire series, because Bond is acting as if he's invulnerable and knows it. "I'll just stroll about in the open and headshot multiple guys shooting at me from 100 yards away, tum-ti-tum." Even loving Commando at least had Arnold acting as if he was in some peril.

Of course, there is the Total Recall theory that Bond was lobotomised by Blofeld, and everything that happens in the third act is his mind's last desperate attempt to save itself by coming up with a ridiculously OTT scenario where he wins over insane odds one last time...

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 11, 2018

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Timby posted:

That's ... not a goon thing. The only thing Moonraker has going for it is Ken Adam's production design
It's also got Corinne's death, which is surprisingly arty, and savage, for a Moore film. And the centrifuge scene, where Bond actually seems to be suffering after his near-murder, is pretty well done.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Barudak posted:

Based on the last three or so Bond films having a finished script and vision is a unecessary
That's something that has staggered me for a while. They know there's going to be another film sooner or later... but they keep half-arseing the script at the last minute as if they forgot to do their homework. They should have started writing before the previous movie even hit cinemas; it's not even as if they have to knock one out every two years any more.

Since Cubby Broccoli died, and more so than ever in the Craig era, it feels like too many people get to put ingredients into the blender, so it ends up with a bunch of fingertips mixed in.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, have you read those James Bond novels? They're great wee thrillers, but you have to hold your nose a bit when you get to the part in Goldfinger where Bond muses about how much he hates Koreans etc.
Ian Fleming was a ghastly Etonian imperialist and sadist who happened to be a decent thriller writer with the good fortune of catching the zeitgeist.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

By the way (and I'm sorry that this has nothing whatsoever to do with your post), I don't suppose you'd have the link to your Department S blog close to hand?
Here you go.

On an actual Bond note, I was in Venice last year and looked for the spot where Roger Moore drove his hover-gondola out of the water and up into St Mark's Square. Sad to report, it's physically impossible - there are steps running up the quayside, but no ramps (and on a re-viewing I realised just how carefully they framed the shot so you couldn't really see what was underneath the boat; they built a ramp for it). A Roger Moore Bond movie lied to me! I feel like part of my childhood has been murdered...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Blofeld is Bond's stepbrother and he's been working secretly for years to humiliate and destroy him!" was a load of bollocks. Way too many potential points of failure: what if Le Chiffre or the warlord guy or Quantum or Jools Holland or Silva or any one of the hundreds of other people ultimately working for Blofeld who tried to kill Bond had actually succeeded? Hell, what if Moneypenny had hit a few inches across and shot him in the heart? Blofeld would have looked a bit of a twat, all his long-rehearsed speeches going to waste.

I thought Silva's Joker-style super-mega-hyper-masterminding was bullshit, and Spectre doubled down on it by adding a layer of ultra-masterminding on top. Yeah, Blofeld is a smart guy, but don't have him predicting Bond's actions to the micron from the flap of a butterfly's wing on the other side of the world twenty years earlier.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The original teaser. I thought this about as perfect a reintroduction to Bond after a gap of several years as you could get; the full trailer had an ultra-cheesy voiceover and gave way too much away.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Best unused Bond theme: https://youtu.be/h6CoNUE5Zho

(From the director of Attack The Block.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Goldfinger, Live And Let Die, Nobody Does It Better, A View To A Kill, You Know My Name... and the rest.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Timby posted:

I'll give you Skyfall, but Writing's On The Wall was literally a demo take and it's loving awful. It might actually edge Die Another Day for worst theme.
Perfectly fitting for Spectre, then: an attempt to homage past Bonds that's so hastily thrown together it ends up as third-rate pastiche.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
All I can remember about The Eiger Sanction is that at one point a corpse wrapped up in blankets like a mummy rolls cartoonishly down a cliff, and teenage me thought it was the funniest thing ever.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

The part where Bond accidentally ruins a fake moon landing shoot (???) and the guys in the astronaut outfits try to chase after him briefly but keep in character and so in a slow floaty way like they're in space is awesome.

But yeah overall that movie sucks. I love how like Bond's mission is to help this diamond company stop its employees from smuggling out like two or three diamonds here or there and that's it and the entire satellite/Blofeld's alive/etc. stuff is just sort of stumbled into from that.

The disturbing thing about DAF is that MI6 is basically sending Bond to act as a Pinkerton for De Beers. gently caress De Beers.

Apropos of astronauts, in a movie filled with craziness, possibly the most outrageous thing about Moonraker is that within about two minutes of the space station's radar jammer failing, the US launches a fully-prepped shuttle full of laser-toting Space Marines. That's a quick response!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

This will also be (as far as I'm aware) the first Bond movie in 20 years not to have been written or had writing work done on it by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade.
Well, thank gently caress for that.

Just so long as whoever's writing it instead doesn't fall down the same turd-filled well of "I'm a [FRANCHISE] fan who gets to write a [FRANCHISE] movie, yay!" (see: Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc) and make the whole thing into an ourouboros of references to stuff we've already seen.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think the best Moore is the Spy Who Loved Me. I recently did a watch of the entire series, and I think it holds up pretty drat well.
For Your Eyes Only is the best Moore spy film. The Spy Who Loved Me is indeed the best Moore spy film, if that makes sense.

The Moore films are pretty much their own unique continuum compared to the rest of the series, really, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nemesis_hub posted:

I don’t know why people keep bringing up Nolan as a potential director. I like some of his movies a lot but he really sucks at action.
Yeah, the whole Modern Warfare snow sequence in Inception was the epitome of "should be exciting but absolutely isn't," without even starting on any of his Batman stuff. Clinical is how I'd describe his style; there's nothing visceral or adrenalising about it.

Mind you, that's exactly how I felt about the action in Skyfall and Spectre. Beautifully shot, but doesn't excite.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Goldfinger (2022). In which Auric Goldfinger (Emma Stone) manipulates the value of Bitcoin to cause a cryptocurrency crash and massively boost the value of her own stocks of gold and colloidal silver, by planting a neutron EMP weapon inside the NSA. Bond (Daniel Craig, paid $65 million to reprise the role one more time) defeats her with his fists and a series of tired, sarcastic-sounding sighs and grunts that in the script were gold-themed one-liners. Directed by somebody currently in high school who will make one kinda-well-received indie movie before being installed as a puppet by Eon, the stunt coordinators and second-unit directors, and an uncredited but well-compensated for his creative input Daniel Craig.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Purvis and Wade again? :ughh: Have they got some kind of "no one knows James Bond as well as us" mojo going on, or just a really good agent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gaius Marius posted:

They've proven they can get a goddamn movie out, which no one else seems to be able to do.
Probably too many cooks. When it was just Cubby Broccoli in charge, it was pot luck whether the next movie would be good or bad, but at least you knew there'd be one along in two years. Now they've got Eon (probably with multiple executives all wanting their own say), the studio and the star who all have to agree on everything before the director even gets involved. I guess that Purvis and Wade just take all the notes from everyone and mush them into the developing script without complaining.

• Locked thread