Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Payndz posted:

The best Bond is Roger Moore. Even his name is a double-entendre.

Plus he generally fights goofy pantomime villains with cartoony plots to take over the world, which is far more entertaining than the job of real British spies: to maintain and enforce the remnants of British imperialist rule at all costs through violence, corruption and the suffering of innocents.

I really liked Roger Moore's sendup of Bond the best, even if the actual films he got to star in were very uneven. His comedic timing was excellent and he totally embraced the camp. I feel that modern 007 totally lacks its own voice, it's just another Bourne Identity series even if the movies themselves aren't too terrible.

They should probably just cast a new Bond with every entry since the quality of the series seems to wane the longer one actor has the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't think the success of Goldeneye needs any explanation other than simply being a good, solid action flick in a series with maybe 6 truly decent movies. The opening sequence is incredible, the script isn't too offensively awful, and it moves at a fine pace. Brosnan has the right combination of physicality and charm in the role and everybody appears to be having a good time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The World Is Not Enough is such a freakin' good Bond song.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Someone should supercut all the best scenes from the Moore chronology to make one good Bond film that doesn’t drag on for a million years.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

peekaboo gangster posted:

It's gonna be really confusing when the only scenes they pull from Octopussy involve him dressing up as a clown, while they also keep 80% of For Your Eyes Only. As far as theme songs go, I know the movie itself is pretty crap, but you guys, the best theme song is easily Duran Duran's "A View to a Kill."

LOL I was just thinking the same thing about Octopussy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Roger Moore's Bond movies are the only ones that just completely bounce off me and I cannot seem to distinguish between them(outside of Moonraker I guess because of the space setting). They just all run together for me and none of them really stand out. I've never really put my finger on exactly why that is, if it's Moore himself or just a run of boring stories.

It's weird. I like Roger Moore's take on Bond the most, but some of his scripts were real stinkers and even his better movies have segments that can really drag. For Your Eyes Only and The Spy Who Loved Me are his two best and all the others have some major problems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The We Hate Movies podcast on Die Another Day is really great, of course it’s hard not to laugh at someone simply reciting the major plot points of Die Another Day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Atomic Blonde was pretty cool but super violent I thought, more like a Tony Scott spy thriller less Bond-level goofy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

esperterra posted:

I loving love the Sheryl Crow song so goddamn much. Something about the way she sings it just hits me in a particularly hard way.

e: also I finally watched Atomic Blonde over the holiday, and I liked that movie a lot more than I expected to. I would gladly watch a series of films about Charlize Theron kicking rear end and having sex with beautiful women, especially if it continues to have ridiculous reveals like that triple turn at the end.

It looks like it did well enough for a sequel, $30 mil production budget for a $90 mil box office return. TBQH I'd watch Charlize Theron chew scenery in just about anything, I'm always impressed by the range of roles she can play and it is CRIMINAL she was not even nominated for Fury Road.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I caught Goldeneye a couple years ago on TV and it still holds up imho. The opening sequence leading up to the runway stunt is still insane, the script isn't too terrible, and most importantly it does not waste the viewer's time, which is a rarity in Bond films.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Goldeneye is one of the all time greats and each subsequent Brosnan film decreases in quality by about 50% per installment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I really liked Brosnan as Bond and don’t care much for Craig. Moore and Brosnan are probably my favorites because of the humor they bring to the role.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I've really never understood his dislike for that movie, though I think it comes from not liking Brosnan's Bond all that much.

Granted I've not seen it in a long time, but I remember it being fairly prescient and it has Michelle Yeoh in it.

Tomorrow Never Dies is not that great, but in this franchise that still makes it more watchable than 75% of Bond films in the catalogue. I'm just happy whenever Jonathan Pryce gets work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Craig films are unequivocally better composed and more competently made than the Brosnan Bonds but I don't like his oafish take on the character at all, and I feel like the series has kind of lost its identity. It's no coincidence that Bond's identity in the twenty-first century is a theme that the series tortuously returns to again and again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I’ve always been a Looper hater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Moore definitely knew what he was doing. That's the first time I've seen him accused of taking Bond too seriously anywhere.

• Locked thread