Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

peekaboo gangster posted:

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, having loved it as a kid (first Bond movie in theaters!) - it just seems like a tasteless victory lap by the "west" over the Soviet Union. The main villain has a former Soviet commander and an ultra-feminist who literally uses her sexuality to kill as his underlings. His mode of transport is an old Soviet missile train. The ultimate plan is to rob London of all its money, and redistribute it to his masses. Even his base of operations is located in Cuba, further linking him to the idea of "the radical left." James Bond, on the other hand, is dismissed outright by his new (female) superior as a "dinosaur" and a "relic," but that's exactly what's needed to stop this new Marxist threat. There's even an entire action setpiece based around destroying Soviet statuary with their own tanks while Bond jauntily adjusts his tie and winks knowingly at the audience. It's been a few years since I've watched GoldenEye, so I might have to go back and re-evaluate it, but I just remember it leaving a bad taste in my mouth (and ears, good God almighty the soundtrack is trash).

For a long time, I had a theory that the reason so many folks online seemed to love Goldeneye was because they were all young people on the internet, back in the days of the early message boards. Goldeneye was their first Bond film, and as a result there was a strong recency bias. Also, they probably loved the Goldeneye video game.

However, it is now more than two decades later, and lots of people still think Goldeneye is one of the best Bond films. Obviously a lot of people (of all ages) genuinely love that film.

For me, it is the best of the Brosnan films...but that's not saying much. The four Brosnan films feel increasingly bland and formulaic, and his Bond often feels like little more than a male model designed to sell watches and vodka. I say that as someone who really likes Pierce Brosnan, in everything but the Bond films.

One reason I found Spectre so hugely underwhelming is that is seemed to be a strong return to that formula. Any time they break away from it is a good thing, though I know there are a lot of fans of more traditional Bond films. Even a deeply flawed film like Dalton's License to Kill is more interesting to me than Brosnan's films, or Spectre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread