Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

sebmojo posted:

The codename thing has always been dumb, it's a movie, it's all pretend, just cast a different guy.

Yeah, especially since his codename is already 007.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I really think the Moore movies are fine and not really incongruous with the silliest Connery stuff. I have never gotten why people suddenly pretend that Moore stuff is way out there compared to the earlier movies. As far as being very "good," well, whatever, Bond movies are just super-budget exploitation movies. The only real crime a Bond movie can commit is to be boring--those and only those are the "bad" Bond movies.

The problem with Moore isn't so much the silliness but the fact that I could never in a million years believe he could really beat up a guy. But I like Moore anyway. I don't think there's ever been a bad Bond, actually. Even Lazenby was fine (despite being hobbled by that awful voice dub for a good portion of the movie) and showed potential that he could have really grown into the role. I especially admire the way Lazenby acquits himself in the fight scenes. He's unlike any other Bond in that area, moving with a sort of cat-like grace and fluidity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhBCiQ49Iz8

John Glen's fast-paced editing throughout the action scenes in the movie is also pretty ahead of its time. I especially admire the cutting of the luge chase at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MochwVdcaEk

Taken too far this sort of thing can be disastrous (I'm looking at you, Quantum of Solace) but here I think it works fantastically. It gives you an almost first-person perspective of the frenetic energy and up-close confusion these kinds of struggles would really engender, without totally losing track of what's going on or giving you a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Not retaining John Cleese as the new Q post-reboot was criminal.

I have nothing particularly against Ben Whishaw but he lacks presence.

• Locked thread