Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mantis42 posted:

If you liked that you'll really like From Russia with Love.

This. I love Dr. No, it’s fantastic. But From Russia With Love is one of the greatest spy flicks of all time.

After that, things start take a turn for the worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Darko posted:

Eh, Goldfinger is really good too, with a giant note as to the time and place where it came out (Look at Catch Me if You Can before watching Goldfinger to get the idea of what it did for the era).

Then you have a lonnnnnnggggg time until you find another good movie (the editing in Lazenby's movie, along with the goofy midsection means I'll never endorse it).

I just can’t love Goldfinger, as much as I know I should. Between the misogyny of “men talk”, to the fact that Bond barely does anything the entire movie other than be a prisoner and observe what’s happening, to the blatant rape of Pussy Galore...yeah, it’s not a good movie.

The car sure was cool, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

edit: gently caress, Mendes did Spectre, my mistake.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bring Martin Campbell back.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cacator posted:

I think Campbell has said he'd only do it if there was something new to work with, i.e. a new actor. Craig wanted Villeneuve to direct but he's too busy with Dune.

I guess that's his "thing", working with new Bonds before they've settled into the role, since he did Goldeneye, too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

Well Craig Bond always seems like he's disavowed and going rogue so yea he flies commercial because he has to blend in with his various fake passports.

Connery didn't fly in planes, he traveled exclusively via min-sub and mini-helicopter.

*ahem*

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

Has a Bond debut ever been a financial failure? Because they obviously operate under this questionable idea that once a Bond is established we should squeeze as much out of their run as possible before risking a recasting, but is that even based on any real evidence? If you recast Bond and give the franchise a fresh start, historically people typically respond to that and show up to buy tickets right?

That said, I love Craig in the role so I did want to see him have a chance to go out on a better note.

I don't have numbers, but I imagine they weren't happy with the numbers they got from Lazenby's debut, considering they went back to Connery for the next movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

I was under the impression that they 100% wanted Lazenby back but he was a weirdo and hated being Bond so he quit(or demanded so much money that it was basically the same as quitting).

Edit: yea it made like 85 million in 1969 so I doubt they were disappointed with that on a 7 mil budget.

Oh gently caress, you're right. I remember an interview now where he said he regretted turning them down, but someone convinced him that, in the hippy culture at the time, continuing to play a government killer would be bad for his career.

Oops.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Grain of salt, but this is interesting.

Danny Boyle quit James Bond franchise after he ‘REFUSED to kill off Daniel Craig’s 007 in spectacular finale to 25th film’

quote:

Daniel Craig, who is said to be filming his final 007 movie, and producer Barbara Broccoli are believed to have wanted to Bond to die in a “spectacular finale”, according to sources.

But Oscar-winner Boyle, 61, refused to kill off the secret agent, labelling the idea “ridiculous”.

An insider said: “There were discussions about killing off Bond in dramatic fashion at the end.

It would be a final hurrah for Daniel, and leave fans hanging.

“It would also leave it open for a twist in the next instalment — either Bond hadn’t died or there could be a Doctor Who-esque regeneration with a new actor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fart City posted:

Pfft. James Bond already died.

He was vaporized by a misfired missile during that Alcatraz hostage situation back in ‘96.

What? Vaporized? A body can...vaporize?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm assuming they mean Skyfall, since it has the whole, "Bad guy gets captured on purpose to execute his crazy complicated plan" plot line, but I'm not sure.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does this mean that the next Star Wars trilogy is about the further adventures of the stormtrooper who got mind-tricked in TFA?

You mean Trooper JB-007?

No, I'm not kidding.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

edit: poo poo, I totally misunderstood the post. Nvm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Motherfucker. Do these guys have blackmail on the heads of the studio or something?

• Locked thread