Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Timby posted:

That would be one way to guarantee I never see the movie in a theater. I got the worst goddamn headache during loving Les Mis.

And everything else he does. JOHN ADAMS is full of Dutch angles without any rhyme or reason, and I've not heard good things about him from the set of HIS DARK MATERIALS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Recently I heard that one of the creative differences cited as a reason for Boyle's departure was disagreement with Daniel Craig over the casting a Russian villain. Does Craig have Tom Cruise-like influence behind-the-scenes?

That really sounds more like a broke-the-camels-back situation to be honest. Once the star starts vetoing you before you've started shooting then it's not going to end. Like no doubt they gave Boyle control, but they clearly gave Craig more.

This, by the way, is probably why they won't go for a known star next time around. It certainly won't be Idris Elba.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

They are a job, but the millionaire rear end in a top hat who ends up getting millions of dollars in pay and is in part responsible for making these "long and tiring shifts" is the last person to complain about it.

Nolan talks alot how Bond movies made him want to direct and how he would love to do one eventually. Inception ends up being his casting tape for the job.

It's still a long process, particularly if you're the lead. Asking someone hey you want to do this again right after they've had a lovely experience with it isn't going to get you the brightest answer.

Sure you get a fat enough compensation for it, but it doesn't make the day to day easier.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Cacator posted:

On the flip side there's Tomorrow Never Dies where all Gourley does is bitch and whine the whole time and is insufferable.

I've really never understood his dislike for that movie, though I think it comes from not liking Brosnan's Bond all that much.

Granted I've not seen it in a long time, but I remember it being fairly prescient and it has Michelle Yeoh in it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Deadline just announced that Daniel Craig and Rian Johnson are shooting a movie in November. When was Bond due to start shooting, before Boyle walked obviously.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I don't think that they ever really quite knew how to write Bond after Connery left. There's also the natural inclination to make each movie bigger or better than the one before it and you can't keep doing that and achieve any real longevity or consistency.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think the only experience Connery had was against women.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I just got done watching DR. NO for probably the first time since a teenager. Weirdly I think that movie takes a bit of a nosedive after one of its more iconic scenes (Ursula Andress coming out of the water). The initial intrigue is set up well, and it's fun to see Bond actually do his job instead of just bulldozing his way into a situation. However, once they go through the whole thing of getting caught etc it becomes a little rote.

I think Connery gets the best "Bond, James Bond" scene here and he's actually downright charming in his scenes with Moneypenny. I like that, for this movie at least, Bond is treated as just another agent instead of super-spy extraordinaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Violator posted:

Yeah. I like how it shows he can make mistakes, liking drinking the drugged coffee. I would think "don't eat or drink anything an evil genius who wants you dead gives you" should rule number 1 but I'm not a spy.

Another touch I liked is this idea that that M has managed to reduce 00 casualties since he took over. There's a nice glimpse into some bureaucracy that the other movies never really touch on until possibly the Craig era.

• Locked thread