Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Patsy Walker Hell Cat is great, it had unfortunate/fortunate timing because it came out right around when Jessica Jones season 1 came out and the Patsy Walker character in the comic (and actually all comics she's ever been in) has almost nothing to do with the Patsy Walker in the tv show.

yeah i was disappointed that the tv version sucks comparatively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm many issues deep into Peter David's Hulk and they're still just kinda loving around in the desert. It's decent, but when does it get amazing and when does the child abuse stuff come up?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

yeah i was disappointed that the tv version sucks comparatively

She was kinda ok in season 1 but boy does she suck in season 2.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Unmature posted:

I'm many issues deep into Peter David's Hulk and they're still just kinda loving around in the desert. It's decent, but when does it get amazing and when does the child abuse stuff come up?

The 370s.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Special interest news story on William Messner-Loebs's hard times
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/one-armed-comic-book-artist-worked-on-wonder-woman-now-homeless-in-michigan
The video is more substantial than the text, so click that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ugh. He's at every Michigan convention, and I always make sure to say hi and see if he needs coffee.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Man that is some harsh stuff, but what he said about being two paychecks away from homelessness really hits hard. The dude deserves great things just by making the Maxx a semi-coherent story, and I remember his run on Flash being the first Flash I had ever read.
I am kind of surprised that the Hero Initiative hasn't looked into his case. I thought stuff like this is what they were set up for.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'm sure Mark Waid will do something if he didn't already know.

Going to talk to the owner of my comic store to see if we can get Bill in for Free Comic Book Day. I sold him a few sci fi paperback novels a couple years back, and now I feel bad I didn't just give them to him. I was a big fan of the Maxx when it was on MTV, and was actually watching it at the bar a couple nights ago.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's always the name previous to or following runs I'm supposed to read. That always gave me the impression that he was an unexceptional jobber put on something when the important folks weren't around. Guessing that's pretty incorrect. It'd be swell if DC started collecting his stuff now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's always the name previous to or following runs I'm supposed to read. That always gave me the impression that he was an unexceptional jobber put on something when the important folks weren't around. Guessing that's pretty incorrect. It'd be swell if DC started collecting his stuff now.

His Flash is genuinely fantastic and Waid's run builds on it rather than abandoning the years of character building Messner-Loebs did. He basically told a five year story of Wally realizing it was time to grow up and trying to deal with being in Barry's shadow. Pied Piper coming out was a pretty significant moment in comics, too.

His Wonder Woman is decent, though in that instance it suffers from just being decent comics rather than being something great like his Flash.

A bit more obscure, but his Epicurus the Sage is a pretty interesting book.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

You should read the Maxx before and after he had his run with the character and then you can appreciate the work he did in reigning in Keith's tendencies.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I read some Maxx years ago and didn't remember anyone but Keith's name on it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

Special interest news story on William Messner-Loebs's hard times
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/one-armed-comic-book-artist-worked-on-wonder-woman-now-homeless-in-michigan
The video is more substantial than the text, so click that.

quote:

hat’s the lesson he’s learned over the years? People are, in general, good.

goddamn

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I read some Maxx years ago and didn't remember anyone but Keith's name on it.

I think he wrote/co-plotted the first 15 issues of the Maxx.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How come there weren't any Aeon Flux comics? It seems like an intriguing world and setting that more could have been done with than the handful of episodes and the not great movie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Madkal posted:

I think he wrote/co-plotted the first 15 issues of the Maxx.

According to Bill, MTV was in talks with Sam about creating a project for them, and Sam called in Bill to help write it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Where does everyone order their trades from?

I like trolling the used section of my local comic store or Half-Price Books in person, but online is different.

Buying online from places that don't combine shipping is annoying--like there's a seller on Amazon who has the first 4 Silver Surfer trades we were talking about earlier for less than $6 a piece, but shipping on each one is $4. I emailed the vendor asking if they could combine shipping and they said they couldn't, as per Amazon's policy--but I'm not going to spend $16 on shipping when they're all coming from and going to the same place. I know there's some Amazon voodoo poo poo going on where vendors have to charge more shipping just to pay for the listing fees or something, and even if I add $4 to the price, it still comes out under $10 on some of them, it's just the principle of the thing I guess.

So is there a good site that has a shifting stock of used or discount trades and does free or combined shipping?

I like looking at https://www.hamiltonbook.com/products/search?q=&cat_id=GN every now and then--they offer some good discounts on stuff and the stock changes enough that I usually find a few new things to add to my wishlist. And they have reasonable shipping.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Like a decade ago I really liked using half.com especially since I would flip trades for like 80% of what I paid to buy more trades. No idea what it's like now, but you'd run into the same issues with not being able to combine shipping when buying multiple books from the same vendor.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm in Canada so my options are pretty much Amazon and Ebay, otherwise I end up paying more for shipping than I do for the book

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I went digital years ago and do not regret it. I think I'd be up to like ten longboxes and five bookshelves by now otherwise.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I do pretty much everything digital now yeah. Unless it's something I really love that I'll want to share or just reread over and over, it just doesn't make sense with the kind of sales Comixology has.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

A Strange Aeon posted:

Where does everyone order their trades from?

I like trolling the used section of my local comic store or Half-Price Books in person, but online is different.

Buying online from places that don't combine shipping is annoying--like there's a seller on Amazon who has the first 4 Silver Surfer trades we were talking about earlier for less than $6 a piece, but shipping on each one is $4. I emailed the vendor asking if they could combine shipping and they said they couldn't, as per Amazon's policy--but I'm not going to spend $16 on shipping when they're all coming from and going to the same place. I know there's some Amazon voodoo poo poo going on where vendors have to charge more shipping just to pay for the listing fees or something, and even if I add $4 to the price, it still comes out under $10 on some of them, it's just the principle of the thing I guess.

So is there a good site that has a shifting stock of used or discount trades and does free or combined shipping?

I like looking at https://www.hamiltonbook.com/products/search?q=&cat_id=GN every now and then--they offer some good discounts on stuff and the stock changes enough that I usually find a few new things to add to my wishlist. And they have reasonable shipping.

It's only new stuff but instocktrades has generally good pricing and free shipping over $50.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/rickeypurdin/status/978801337130520576

Aside from Triumph and Torment did Mignola do any other Marvel work?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lots of covers.

Wolverine the Jungle Adventure.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He drew a Rocket Racoon mini in the 80s

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

Aside from Triumph and Torment did Mignola do any other Marvel work?

He was the fill-in artist on an issue of the the original X-Force. His method of drawing the chunky Liefeld lads is really lovely.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

It's a metal scrap yard

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

JordanKai posted:

He was the fill-in artist on an issue of the the original X-Force. His method of drawing the chunky Liefeld lads is really lovely.

lol at the feet

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pass this everyday on the way to work, never thought to post it, though! It looks a bit more faded now, but it's still pretty awesome!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
a little out of our demo but since it's two marvel creators

http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-creators-brandon-montclare-and-erica-henderson-announce-new-gn-series-secret-book-club/ posted:

Today, PW announced that Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur writer Brandon Montclare will team up with The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl artist Erica Henderson to produce a series of graphic novels entitled Secret Book Club.

The move will see two of Marvel’s most recently successful all-ages creators collaborating on a title outside the publisher’s purview that aims to attract a similar readership to their current works. Penguin Workshop will publish the graphic novels, with the first to arrive in summer 2020.

The synopsis follows, per PW:

Secret Book Club stars seventh grader Paige, who finds herself at the center of a mystery: her grandfather, a librarian who created all the superheroes that dominate pop culture, has disappeared. As Paige searches for him with her new friends from her book club, they begin to realize that many of her grandfather’s characters live in their neighborhood.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

a little out of our demo

Pfft. I'll get that and some-a them new DC kids OGNs too. Stop my 30's male rear end.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 29, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I got kind of curious and decided to see how many pages Jack Kirby actually penciled a month. And because it's a good of month as any, I went with November 1961 (which is really around August 1961 given production schedules and newsstand distribution). Now take a guess to how many pages, including covers, the King did that month?

It's higher. I know you're going, "But I said-" Well, it's still higher. Guess again.

Higher than that.
Yes, we are going there.

A bit more than that even.

Jack Kirby penciled _119_ pages the month he did Fantastic Four #1! There weren't even any reprints of his stories, all new material. Now I know you're saying, "Ah, but a lot of the books were bimonthly at that point. So Kirby might not have had any pages next month." Well, you're right so I checked and it turned out that he did pencil less pages the following month. Kirby only penciled _70__ pages in December.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

So I got kind of curious and decided to see how many pages Jack Kirby actually penciled a month. And because it's a good of month as any, I went with November 1961 (which is really around August 1961 given production schedules and newsstand distribution). Now take a guess to how many pages, including covers, the King did that month?

It's higher. I know you're going, "But I said-" Well, it's still higher. Guess again.

Higher than that.
Yes, we are going there.

Jack Kirby penciled _119_ pages the month he did Fantastic Four #1! There weren't even any reprints of his stories, all new material. Now I know you're saying, "Ah, but a lot of the books were bimonthly at that point. So Kirby might not have had any pages next month." Well, you're right so I checked and it turned out that he did pencil less pages the following month. Kirby only penciled _70__ pages in December.

There's a reason his nickname is King

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But how many of them had good art :).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

But how many of them had good art :).

All of them. :argh:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Were the Fourth World comics monthly? That's four at once with sole writing credit on all of them as well.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Random Stranger posted:

Higher than that.
Yes, we are going there.

Is there a link with that info? I'd love to share it with some artist friends.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Is there a link with that info? I'd love to share it with some artist friends.

I used the grand comics database and searched for stories by Jack Kirby in issues released in November 1961. Then verified that the stories weren't reprints and just added the pages up.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Vincent posted:

lol at the feet

He's staying on model.

He also did a run of covers for X-Men Classic. They were badass. And of course one of them was for the issue where they fight Dracula:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thread:
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/965667287893069824

• Locked thread