Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

hup posted:

I know people ask about age-appropriate comics a lot, but I tutor a lot of ESL kids and want to recommend some kid-friendly reading for some (think around 10–13). Vocabulary is the biggest hurdle for them; I think visual context will really help. I credit comics for building mine up when I was young, but I've got no idea what's safe for kids anymore. I see Jeff Smith's Shazam books and Supergirl in the seventh grade tossed around a lot; is Spider-Man Adventures still in print? Is American Born Chinese okay for that age range?

Batman: Lil' Gotham and Mini Marvels are definitely good for kids. The entire Marvel ________ Adventures series would be nice but I think it'd be hard to find physical copies of that.

There are comics from a bunch of kids cartoons, Adventure Time, Powerpuff Girls, Ben 10, Steven Universe, Bee and Puppycat, Bravest Warriors, pick your poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bravest Warriors isn't really aimed at kids.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Between the complete Marvel Mangaverse, Geoff Johns' Avengers, and Joe Quesada's Iron Man, I think I have enough bad comics for a while.

Damnit, saw this post and went looking for Livewires, but it's still fulprice

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Goddammit I just remembered there's a recommendation thread stickied at the top of this forum

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hup posted:

Goddammit I just remembered there's a recommendation thread stickied at the top of this forum

Eh the chat thread can handle it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I browsed a little to see these cheap digital comics on Amazon but wasn't having much luck--does someone have a link to just the ones that are on sale?

Also, if I have Marvel Unlimited, am I just getting perpetual access to something and the ability to read on my Kindle, or are there some books for sale that aren't on MU? I would imagine any digital comic would also be on MU, but not exactly sure how it works.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I browsed a little to see these cheap digital comics on Amazon but wasn't having much luck--does someone have a link to just the ones that are on sale?

Also, if I have Marvel Unlimited, am I just getting perpetual access to something and the ability to read on my Kindle, or are there some books for sale that aren't on MU? I would imagine any digital comic would also be on MU, but not exactly sure how it works.

Random issues aren't on MU, so unless you dig deep, it is a mystery

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Strange Aeon posted:

There was a sale for punisher max when the show came out and that's apparently not on mu so it varies

I think if you look up an issue on marvel.com it'll have an MU icon if it's on there so you check if you're double dipping but I could be wrong about that

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

The sale should be everything listed here https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Recent-Collections-Sale/page/17867 Amazon Kindle sales sync with Comixology.

And MU has more or less everything from more than six months ago, minus adults only lines like Max and old expired licences like Godzilla and such.
New release comics are only available to buy on Comixology or Marvel's digital storefront, which is just Comixology without every other company listed.

There's a digital comics thread over yonder: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 13, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Aside from Marvel MAX, pretty much anything that's been digitized to sell online will almost certainly be on Marvel Unlimited, there are some missing back issues but they add old stuff every week

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The sale does have newer stuff though, so nice if you're in a hurry to read Secret Empire or something (don't read Secret Empire)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

Ordered a Conan trade from Amazon, this is going to be my first time reading the character!

I'm am not disappointed, but I definitely should have taken a better look a this thing's dimensions

(32,8 x 24,4 x 2,5 cm; 2,1kg)

Good thing I didn't have to pick up anything else from the post office

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
TIL Bill Sienkiewicz has a pronunciation guide to his name as his twitter handle, it's @sinKEVitch in case you were wondering.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also, there's prose Squirrel Girl books for a pre-teen audience, which would be awesome, except the retcon Monkey Joe out of existence.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So.....are we really modless now?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Still says X-O and they just posted in the movie thread :shrug:
Anyone actually asked for this to be stickied?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 16, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sorry it's still February

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

Means I haven't turned 35 yet. There is still time to make things right before I turn 35!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did you know the Pinis licensed out Elf Quest for an (apparently mediocre) RPG?

Me neither. I won it in an estate auction today though. I'm excited to see what's in there.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

It would be funny if X-O missed this thread just because he didn't realize this was the March comics thread.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Did you know the Pinis licensed out Elf Quest for an (apparently mediocre) RPG?

I did, but I've only ever seen the box and never the contents. Doesn't it use a variation on BRP?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

I did, but I've only ever seen the box and never the contents. Doesn't it use a variation on BRP?

Apparently it does.

I have no idea what that is, because I've never played a PNP role playing game, but apparently the book includes some sweet art, and really that's all I'm into this for.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, he unstickied the February thread where I posted a link to this so he must have seen it?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Someone post about Man of Steel and find out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hup posted:

Someone post about Man of Steel and find out

It's actually a really good movie and furthermore...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ShadeX6/status/974715960446812161
Man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aw man :(

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Oh no. I had seen he was taking a step back from comics to deal with a family crisis, but I was hoping that everything would work out for him in the end.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

drat...We were just wondering what he was up to at the shop on Wednesday.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

In more happy news, Gabby Rivera got a fan letter from a pretty big fan.

https://twitter.com/QuirkyRican/status/974379051820421120

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
It's touching, but I love that it is an actual, paper letter, as if it made it even more real and official.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

RevKrule posted:

In more happy news, Gabby Rivera got a fan letter from a pretty big fan.

https://twitter.com/QuirkyRican/status/974379051820421120

Clarence Thomas once invited Icon's creator to a meeting.

Is it common for Justices to talk comics?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Samuringa posted:

It's touching, but I love that it is an actual, paper letter, as if it made it even more real and official.

A good lawyer knows to always leave a a paper trail

Covok posted:

Clarence Thomas once invited Icon's creator to a meeting.

Is it common for Justices to talk comics?

Gabby named the dorm that america lives on campus in sotomayer hall, i imagine one of her clerks saw it and showed her

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Watchmen Motion Comic had some pretty cool music, especially for the various Doctor Manhattan and Veidt scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS0r9S6HrEw&t=190s

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
ORIGIN STORIES

American comics

Versus

Japanese comics

It's a joke.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
ORIGIN STORIES

American comics

Versus

Japanese comics

I am 100% serious.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can't lie just that one panel of turtle knight already has me intrigued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

I can't lie just that one panel of turtle knight already has me intrigued

It's from Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. A massive hammer hangs in space, ready to destroy earth, and the only people who can stop it are twelve people randomly chosen to receive magical powers by animal knights, and led by a girl who won't allow anyone to destroy the earth before she can.

It's one of the best romance series I've ever read.

• Locked thread