Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

First comics?

I was damned right from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I decided it was high time I finally read The Monster Society of Evil since it's the first comic book epic. There's good stuff in there, Captain Marvel really was heads above most golden age books, but drat there's a triple helping of golden age racism in it:

Also, I bet kids loved the reveal of who Mr. Mind was even if I don't get that bit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Reading this Alan Moore biography and they mention DC'S Piranha Press imprint "which from 1987 to 1994 produced eclectic, creator-led graphic novels with titles like Epicurus the Sage, Gregory and The Elvis Mandible".

I've never heard of any of those or this imprint, are the three above any good or did anything else of note come out of it?

I've read Epicurus and Gregory. Epicurus is pretty fun. Not really deep, but fun.

Gregory is definitely an indie book from the late 80's.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ran into something kind of interesting yesterday. Check out the difference between the coloring for Marvel Comics #1 on Marvel Unlimited and the coloring for the Omnibus:

(Marvel Unlimited)

(Golden Age Omnibus)

The reprint scanned into Marvel Unlimited has totally different coloring! And it's even more significant in the Submariner story:

(Marvel Unlimited)

(Golden Age Omnibus)

Apparently there was a huge problem with the color separation on the original printing of the comic and it seems like in the omnibus the colorist did their best to recreate the intent of the original colorist while in the reprint scanned for Marvel Unlimited they just went, "Eh, just kind of do something close to that. Also, don't color Namor differently." It's almost like that Unlimited version was scanned in and then not cleaned up very well since the crosshatching used in the Namor story is almost completely lost.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I think you greatly overestimate the condition of those old prints.

Especially golden age comics where the acid hasn't just yellowed them, it's a dark brown.

I've got a lot of problems with how recoloring old comics is often done in reprints and the one scanned for Marvel Unlimited is a good example of how this goes poorly. That seems to be a rush job by someone going off of a scan of the old book, making general guesses, and then recoloring Namor because they didn't understand the intent of the original coloring. The Golden Age Omnibus seems to be trying to make the book look like how it should have appeared in 1939 if the printing hadn't smeared everything together.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Did you know the Pinis licensed out Elf Quest for an (apparently mediocre) RPG?

I did, but I've only ever seen the box and never the contents. Doesn't it use a variation on BRP?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Police Procedural, where everyone works in different levels of the police department. Like Batman works in homocide and Superman working in Public Affairs and Outreach.

Instead of that book, can Alan Moore just do another twelve issues of Top 10?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's always the name previous to or following runs I'm supposed to read. That always gave me the impression that he was an unexceptional jobber put on something when the important folks weren't around. Guessing that's pretty incorrect. It'd be swell if DC started collecting his stuff now.

His Flash is genuinely fantastic and Waid's run builds on it rather than abandoning the years of character building Messner-Loebs did. He basically told a five year story of Wally realizing it was time to grow up and trying to deal with being in Barry's shadow. Pied Piper coming out was a pretty significant moment in comics, too.

His Wonder Woman is decent, though in that instance it suffers from just being decent comics rather than being something great like his Flash.

A bit more obscure, but his Epicurus the Sage is a pretty interesting book.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I got kind of curious and decided to see how many pages Jack Kirby actually penciled a month. And because it's a good of month as any, I went with November 1961 (which is really around August 1961 given production schedules and newsstand distribution). Now take a guess to how many pages, including covers, the King did that month?

It's higher. I know you're going, "But I said-" Well, it's still higher. Guess again.

Higher than that.
Yes, we are going there.

A bit more than that even.

Jack Kirby penciled _119_ pages the month he did Fantastic Four #1! There weren't even any reprints of his stories, all new material. Now I know you're saying, "Ah, but a lot of the books were bimonthly at that point. So Kirby might not have had any pages next month." Well, you're right so I checked and it turned out that he did pencil less pages the following month. Kirby only penciled _70__ pages in December.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

But how many of them had good art :).

All of them. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Is there a link with that info? I'd love to share it with some artist friends.

I used the grand comics database and searched for stories by Jack Kirby in issues released in November 1961. Then verified that the stories weren't reprints and just added the pages up.

• Locked thread