Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soonmot posted:

Old school or the Buisek versions of the original Howard stories?

Eitherway, I highly suggest getting a collection of the Howard stories, they're amazing pulpy fun. Just be prepared for decade appropriate misogyny and racism.

I really like the Dark Horse comics, the big omnibuses they're putting out. No qualifications needed. Which I think is a point in their favor compared to the originals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Obama's Extreme Universe?

Jack Shadowknife is a man on the edge. He's the best drat drone pilot in the country. Every issue he gets a new mission, and every time he terminates his target, and some people nearby, with extreme prejudice. Then he gets dinner at Applebees. As Shadowknife's bodycount rises, can he deal with his greatest foe; elevated blood pressure?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
From the pages of Jack Shadowknife, Vixen Bloooood is the youngest drone pilot in the country. But what will she do when it turns out her assigned target is actually a children's hospital? Nothing it's fine, no one cares.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

Isn't "proto-bird" just a dinosaur anyway?

Presumably it would be something that showed more bird characteristics than dinosaur characteristics. Remember that only Theropods evolved into birds anyway, most dinosaurs either evolved into other dinosaurs or died out

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
ORIGIN STORIES

American comics

Versus

Japanese comics

I am 100% serious.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

I can't lie just that one panel of turtle knight already has me intrigued

It's from Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. A massive hammer hangs in space, ready to destroy earth, and the only people who can stop it are twelve people randomly chosen to receive magical powers by animal knights, and led by a girl who won't allow anyone to destroy the earth before she can.

It's one of the best romance series I've ever read.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CapnAndy posted:

Am I misreading her expression? Because it seems like "oh my God I have been waiting my whole life for a talking animal to tell me I've got superpowers, I'm so in, when do we start" to me and I love it.

No, you got it right. The characters have a variety of responses to being given magic powers to save the world by talking animals, but she is always 100% super excited about it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

Lucifer & The Biscuit Hammer is pretty good, but it's still a shonen. I recommend it to most people who are interested in something that's not Naruto, but given the aversion this subforum has to eastern comics, I'm not really sure.

But it has good characters, a story that doesn't run forever and a pretty great climax, so if it peaked your interested, give it a try.

Calling Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer shonen is like calling Vision a superhero comic. It's true, but it's literally the opposite of everything people complain about with that genre

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Awhile back I suggested that american comics could save themselves by switching to being entirely about sports. All the characters you love, but doing sports instead of dull superhero poo poo. It turns out this was not an original idea.

This is official art from the shortlived DC DotA clone. So the sports DC universe is canon. It already exists. We just need to convince DC to switch to telling stories about that Earth

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Their new out of universe young readers OGNs probably could have accommodated a sports title. I'm guessing nobody cared to pitch Wonder Woman badminton, but it could happen.

Manga? Dude, Hanebado is getting an anime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwrdTaxBcw0

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You edited the manga part of your post out so now my post looks weird.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sorry. I decided I didn't need to be so snarky in reply to ya.

I edited out a snarky reply I made to your edited out snarkiness, so now the whole thread is a friendlier place.

But seriously Hanebado is gonna own so hard

I haven't actually read it but the trailer looks great and people say the manga is about a n ordinary girl becoming an unstoppable badminton monster, which sounds awesome

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Kind of, but I want all conflicts to be decided within the squared circle. Civil War ends with Cap and Iron Man in a hell in the cell match, with a shocking run-in from "Tha Public Servantz".

I want The Rock to end his promos by flying off into the sky.

Tiger Mask

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tournament arcs are only a problem if it's not team based. Like, if you have a big cast and every single match is 1v1, then of course it's gonna be difficult o have good plot or character arc flow when you need to keep switching focus. But if it's a team sport, and you've got the majority of the characters all playing together, then it's fine.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

You got a shonen, you gotta have tournament arcs, it's the law.

edit: Guy Goodbody, you don't need to post counterexamples.

I'm just saying, Barefoot Gen is technically shonen.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cosmic Kingpin

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/warnerjp/status/978194854596497408

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is Patsy Walker, A.K.A Hellcat! any good? It seems like a title that could go either way.

I read the first issue and really didn't care for it. It made Patsy an aimless faildaughter who uses the Avengers emergency line to trick the other female superheroes into coming to brunch

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

whats going on for the next four days

March

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

holy poo poo. those are the best feet he's ever drawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now I'm bummed that show didn't happen :(

• Locked thread