Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Everyone in Brazil was raised with Monica's Gang comics, and I pretty much learned to read from them - and later read them for my little sister.

But for this thread's purposes, the very first comics I remember reading aside from that where given to me as kid by a cousin, a couple of issues of Spider-Man that years later I dug around the web and discovered to be Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #162 and #163. Also, a really, really good Conan story that I can't quite remember the details but he goes back to a place he had been before and didn't know that was destroyed along with a friend and I can't quite remember what happens but the climax is him and a buddy chained together and poisoned, fighting through some sort of labyrinth of monsters. They wake up after it's over, wondering if it ever happened. Wish I could find some decent Conan collections here but that's pretty hard.

Now, when I actually began collecting comics, and this is quite shameful, was after the Watchmen movie as announced. I don't remember if I bought both together, but it was a Watchmen collection in 4 tpbs and The Ultimates 1 tpb.

I still only read comics sporadically tho, at least compared to hardcore fans like you people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
There's also, you know, the chat thread. This one. Tell us about ninjas.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I finally watched the Black Panther movie, now I can catch up with the BSS Movie Thr-

oh

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Ordered a Conan trade from Amazon, this is going to be my first time reading the character!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Soonmot posted:

Old school or the Buisek versions of the original Howard stories?

Eitherway, I highly suggest getting a collection of the Howard stories, they're amazing pulpy fun. Just be prepared for decade appropriate misogyny and racism.

It's a collection of The Savage Sword of Conan and it says the script is by Roy Thomas. The exact issues are:

Savage Sword of Conan #26, #27, #46, #201, #47, #48, #49, #50, #51 and #52

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Isn't "proto-bird" just a dinosaur anyway?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

muscles like this! posted:

Head's up, Amazon is doing a Marvel digital sale and Tom King's Vision series is $.99 for the entire thing.

Holy poo poo, loving finally, I can't beli-

:bang:

Wait, wait a minute...

it's Kindle and Comixology

Now we're playing :c00lbert:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I've been seeing a lot of cool posts about Gabby and Laura in All-New Wolverine and I'd like to read some of it, but I'm definitely not going all the way back to Wolverine, Death of Wolverine, Aftermath, and Wolverines. Am I going to miss enough that would be just better to not read or can I jump in?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

hup posted:

I know people ask about age-appropriate comics a lot, but I tutor a lot of ESL kids and want to recommend some kid-friendly reading for some (think around 10–13). Vocabulary is the biggest hurdle for them; I think visual context will really help. I credit comics for building mine up when I was young, but I've got no idea what's safe for kids anymore. I see Jeff Smith's Shazam books and Supergirl in the seventh grade tossed around a lot; is Spider-Man Adventures still in print? Is American Born Chinese okay for that age range?

Batman: Lil' Gotham and Mini Marvels are definitely good for kids. The entire Marvel ________ Adventures series would be nice but I think it'd be hard to find physical copies of that.

There are comics from a bunch of kids cartoons, Adventure Time, Powerpuff Girls, Ben 10, Steven Universe, Bee and Puppycat, Bravest Warriors, pick your poison.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

Ordered a Conan trade from Amazon, this is going to be my first time reading the character!

I'm am not disappointed, but I definitely should have taken a better look a this thing's dimensions

(32,8 x 24,4 x 2,5 cm; 2,1kg)

Good thing I didn't have to pick up anything else from the post office

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
It's touching, but I love that it is an actual, paper letter, as if it made it even more real and official.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Lucifer & The Biscuit Hammer is pretty good, but it's still a shonen. I recommend it to most people who are interested in something that's not Naruto, but given the aversion this subforum has to eastern comics, I'm not really sure.

But it has good characters, a story that doesn't run forever and a pretty great climax, so if it peaked your interested, give it a try.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
At this point just leave it because it will be funny that the March Thread was so unimportant it didn't even get stickied

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/shishkababoo/status/976077742637711360

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
You got a shonen, you gotta have tournament arcs, it's the law.

edit: Guy Goodbody, you don't need to post counterexamples.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I picture a Cosmic Power Kingpin with the exact same Businessman Mafioso look, but a bit sparkly.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
That's literally Death on the right, but gloomy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

It's a metal scrap yard

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Random Stranger posted:

So I got kind of curious and decided to see how many pages Jack Kirby actually penciled a month. And because it's a good of month as any, I went with November 1961 (which is really around August 1961 given production schedules and newsstand distribution). Now take a guess to how many pages, including covers, the King did that month?

It's higher. I know you're going, "But I said-" Well, it's still higher. Guess again.

Higher than that.
Yes, we are going there.

A bit more than that even.

Jack Kirby penciled _119_ pages the month he did Fantastic Four #1! There weren't even any reprints of his stories, all new material. Now I know you're saying, "Ah, but a lot of the books were bimonthly at that point. So Kirby might not have had any pages next month." Well, you're right so I checked and it turned out that he did pencil less pages the following month. Kirby only penciled _70__ pages in December.

Is there a link with that info? I'd love to share it with some artist friends.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

A Strange Aeon posted:

How come I never read All-Star Superman until just now?

Everyone makes mistakes, but the good ones work on fixing them.

Get on that reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg9XfdkjfDn/?utm_source=ig_embed

• Locked thread