Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

This is somehow not the whitest thing I've seen today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's because of the CCL schedule change - since the 2016 season qualified teams for this year's tournament (since the tournament that started last February would have previously started in August 2017), USSF had too many qualifiers for the 2019 tournament (since both the 2017 and 2018 seasons would have been played since the last group qualified), and they decided to only keep the MLS Cup and USOC winners from both 2017 and 2018.

It'll be back to normal next year.

Thank god. Figuring out the dark arts of this tournament are awful.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That's not a real tattoo. If it were real, dude would be bleeding all over the place because Igor has the heaviest hand in Portland (so I've been told).

Also, the Timbers are on their way to Atlanta apparently.
https://twitter.com/mikebettes/status/1070436950199451649

\/ This too.

highme fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 5, 2018

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

also you can see the sharpie in the video

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
New Crew community center and training grounds announced today and new stadium announced tomorrow. I can't believe this is actually happening. This time last year I didn't even think we were going to have a team.

Rumors are Precourt is going to be at this announcement too which is insane to me.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Maybe he'll be there to announce he's cancelling his Austin venture and loving off forever....

... I'm fully expecting him to say he's a Michigan Wolverines fan and that Kevin Love was the greatest Cav of all time.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Martinez won MVP. Not really a surprise. Twisted my arm, and I would have said Almiron deserved it more, but meh.

Rumor is Almiron is heading to Newcastle over the winter. There were also rumors Blank was working to buy Newcastle, but he's shot those down.

Also word is that MLS is gonna throw a whole lot more TAM around next year and increase the TAM threshold.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
So when does the bubble pop? As funny money as TAM is, it's still real money. Eventually the league is going to overextend and the league will have to contract and TAM is just built on a gigantic pyramid scheme hoping that it can grow itself from under it's own shadow.

MagnifiedX
Jan 31, 2003
Atom Splitting Retard
Poking my head in here real quick to address travelling TA goons: While our main tailgate doesn't start until 1 PM, some of us will be getting there as early as 9 AM. Atlanta tailgates do observe the standard Drink 90 Drink that (most) MLS clubs follow, so if anyone wants to meet up and hang out, come say hi!

We're down in the Gulch, easiest way to get there is to exit the Dome MARTA station from the fare gates, stay right of the escalators, and follow the road up to the parking lot and turn right into it. We're in the far back, image directions over here: https://imgur.com/a/54DVdUi

EDIT: To clarify, this is for the four main SGs tailgate location. So Resurgence, Terminus Legion, Footie Mob, and The Faction. Other SG tailgates are likely also open for Drink 90 Drink, but I cannot confirm that fully as I've not been to their tailgates. Some of those are in the Gulch as well, but others are on the opposite side of the stadium.

MagnifiedX fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 6, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Oscar Wild posted:

So when does the bubble pop? As funny money as TAM is, it's still real money. Eventually the league is going to overextend and the league will have to contract and TAM is just built on a gigantic pyramid scheme hoping that it can grow itself from under it's own shadow.

The money all exists (or the league is willing to spend it, anyway) but they want to use it to pay new players rather than most of the current ones. TAM, GAM, YAM, and all the rest are best understood as "ways to not raise the salary cap", so the best answer to your question is "when the players' union finally wises up".

Conveniently the current CBA expires after next season, so we'll see what happens then!

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 6, 2018

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
What in the gently caress is Drink 90 Drink

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I was wondering this as well.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
That TAM and GAM money exists because of the influx of cash from expansion fees. Once that isn't available you're asking the Kraft family to open their wallet for their own team.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I think it means you can tailgate before and after the game, and security won't hustle you out. They let you stay in the parking lot until midnight after an event in Atlanta.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Oscar Wild posted:

That TAM and GAM money exists because of the influx of cash from expansion fees. Once that isn't available you're asking the Kraft family to open their wallet for their own team.

Nah we’ll just have like 130 teams divided into nine conferences.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

trem_two posted:

I think it means you can tailgate before and after the game, and security won't hustle you out. They let you stay in the parking lot until midnight after an event in Atlanta.

So just call it loving tailgating. Why do supporter groups in MLS need to create bullshit nomenclature for things that already exist.

highme
May 25, 2001

MagnifiedX posted:

Poking my head in here real quick to address travelling TA goons: While our main tailgate doesn't start until 1 PM, some of us will be getting there as early as 9 AM. Atlanta tailgates do observe the standard Drink 90 Drink that (most) MLS clubs follow, so if anyone wants to meet up and hang out, come say hi!

We're down in the Gulch, easiest way to get there is to exit the Dome MARTA station from the fare gates, stay right of the escalators, and follow the road up to the parking lot and turn right into it. We're in the far back, image directions over here: https://imgur.com/a/54DVdUi

EDIT: To clarify, this is for the four main SGs tailgate location. So Resurgence, Terminus Legion, Footie Mob, and The Faction. Other SG tailgates are likely also open for Drink 90 Drink, but I cannot confirm that fully as I've not been to their tailgates. Some of those are in the Gulch as well, but others are on the opposite side of the stadium.

If I show up and yell "Hey! Fancy rear end Ho!" will the bourbon fairy appear with treats?

Our tailgate is going to be in the starred lot on the attached map. How close is that to the Gulch? I just checked your image again and saw the map part. It's not close.

I have a 10:30 appointment at the Swag Shop, then the days mostly open. The only other thing I want to do Saturday AM is to visit the Dr King National Historic Park. Other than that, heading over that way for a row looks like a good time.

highme fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 6, 2018

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I hope atlanta loses even if it means us not making the ccl while breaking the regular season points record (lol)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/dearscotland/status/1070434790774636545

quote:

Now, after the developments of the last few weeks the arguments may be moot anyway. It appears that MLS has conceded to public pressure, (as opposed to legal pressure), and is going to give Columbus an opportunity to save the team. At the same time, Austin is going to get a brand new team, or rather an expansion team, (an outcome that I considered likely back in January, and again in September).

It appears that some sort of formal announcement is very close – perhaps even before or during the MLS Cup Final this weekend, although Judge Brown made a point to note that no one has bothered to inform him of any progress on settlement. Presumably any settlement would have to consider who is going to pay the $150 million expansion fee for Austin’s new team. Spoiler alert – it probably won’t be Mr. Precourt.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

So just call it loving tailgating. Why do supporter groups in MLS need to create bullshit nomenclature for things that already exist.

Absolutely. That’s called the part of the tailgate where the idiots are busting bottles and I’m waiting out traffic.

Also yeah I’ve been sober seven years and seeing drinking culture from the outside never gets less bizarre. Y’all look weird.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
ALso we freed up a lot of salary space buy offloading collin rivas and some other wasters (over 1 mil)

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Nice spin. The law is bogging down this enough that MLS is basically forcing Precourt to sell and things are happening quickly now because of it. The lawsuit 100% is causing Austin not to get a team for now maybe multiple years. Who cares if the law is valid or not. It did its job which was to delay these greedy rear end owners until public support can't be ignored. gently caress Precourt.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

lol at the tailgates. the Hawks have a game at the same time, the whole area will be a shitshow.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I think the area can deal with 250 more people than are normally there for Atlanta United games

highme
May 25, 2001

Ungratek posted:

I think the area can deal with 250 more people than are normally there for Atlanta United games

Is that turnout for the Hawks?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

highme posted:

Is that turnout for the Hawks?

Maybe on a good day. Like when Steph or Lebron are in town.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I thought the Hawks had come around since ownership realized that they should market to black people?

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

neat

https://twitter.com/wrongsideofpond/status/1070727779749150720?s=19

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I thought the Hawks had come around since ownership realized that they should market to black people?

3rd worst attendance in the NBA, only better than the Timberwolves and Nets.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Shrapnig posted:

3rd worst attendance in the NBA, only better than the Timberwolves and Nets.

Don't the Nets play in Brooklyn?! I assumed the sheer quantity of people in the area would put butts in seats. They must be really terrible or have an awful stadium?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

camoseven posted:

Don't the Nets play in Brooklyn?! I assumed the sheer quantity of people in the area would put butts in seats. They must be really terrible or have an awful stadium?

They’re not good, the new arena effect has worn off entirely, and they traded their whole future for Kevin Garnett and it hosed them. They’re the Knicks in black. My Brooklyn friend describes them as the World’s Best G-League Team.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/SBISoccer/status/1070767932966363136

Fine, cool, just find some minutes

insider
Feb 22, 2007

This is going to be a great 30 for 30 documentary.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

This would be pretty funny

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1070774468300206081?s=19

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He’s never going to play for City with their £35m keeper they bought last season.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Interesting that there's finally a downtown stadium all those years after it was proposed to be a part of the Arena District and got yanked. I'm glad the Crew have been saved and will take the potential inconvenience I'm about to describe all things considered but, Jesus Christ, that's going to be a traffic and parking nightmare if the Crew, CBJ, and Clippers are ever all scheduled on the same night.

Also, Precourt's team gets a downtown stadium, but it's not his stadium OR his team. Get right hosed, Anthony.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 7, 2018

insider
Feb 22, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Interesting that there's finally a downtown stadium all those years after it was proposed to be a part of the Arena District and got yanked. I'm glad the Crew have been saved and will take the potential inconvenience I'm about to describe all things considered but, Jesus Christ, that's going to be a traffic and parking nightmare if the Crew, CBJ, and Clippers are ever all scheduled on the same night.

Also, Precourt's team gets a downtown stadium, but it's not his stadium OR his team. Get right hosed, Anthony.

I mean MLS and NHL don't overlap that much so I imagine that won't be an issue. Clippers yea I can see that being an issue. However all these other cities do it so I'm sure they can figure it out. Playoffs for any of the teams are probably the main thing that will gently caress everything up.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Shrapnig posted:

He’s never going to play for City with their £35m keeper they bought last season.

Well, yeah. And he won't get a UK work permit for a while anyway.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Shrapnig posted:

Isn't this a backdoor way to get him to NYCFC?

Edit: with some good old fashioned money laundering emirate money to boot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Oscar Wild posted:

Isn't this a backdoor way to get him to NYCFC?

It's absolutely this.

Do MLS teams ever loan players to each other? I know that they can loan players to outside leagues, but I'm not sure I've ever seen an intra-league one.