Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
get this

KROENKENWENGEN

to the

KROENKENHAUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm pretty sure Wenger's gonna get quietly dumped at the end of the season, but man I hope he stays on.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Carragher approach is ideal. This season is already gone anyway so why not announce his departure at the end of the season. It would give Arsenal more time to find a new manager, it would get the fans off Wenger's back and they can give him the send off he deserves and it would take the pressure off the players.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
conte spent like 200m this season lol at him being salty over transfers

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Jose posted:

conte spent like 200m this season lol at him being salty over transfers

Is that net spending? Doesn’t really matter, cuz he still has no reason to complain about transfers. Except to complain that he was ever farced into buying Morata.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Chelsea's lovely transfer policy pre-dates Conte though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

did chelsea even sell anyone?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Costa?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

Matic.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jose posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%9618_Chelsea_F.C._season#Out

lol loving Cuadrado was still on the books until last summer.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%9618_Chelsea_F.C._season#Out

lol loving Cuadrado was still on the books until last summer.

I honestly had no idea Christian Atsu was on Chelsea's books for four years.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

I honestly had no idea Christian Atsu was on Chelsea's books for four years.
Theres loads of great surprises on this, but my personal favourite gently caress up is the most recent one; they sold Salah to Roma in August 2016 for £14.5m, and Liverpool bought him for around £37m the following year. A player that Chelsea wrote off and sold on the cheap is the current seasons top goal scorer, and they are now struggling with their strikers.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Theres loads of great surprises on this, but my personal favourite gently caress up is the most recent one; they sold Salah to Roma in August 2016 for £14.5m, and Liverpool bought him for around £37m the following year. A player that Chelsea wrote off and sold on the cheap is the current seasons top goal scorer, and they are now struggling with their strikers.

Let's not forget Lukaku and Sturridge (before he was perma-crocked).

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Shroud posted:

Let's not forget Lukaku and Sturridge (before he was perma-crocked).

De Bruyne...

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Salah was really bad for Chelsea. I guess Chelsea could've tried to bring him back when moved to Roma on loan, but I don't recall anyone other than maybe a couple Egyptian fans on reddit suggesting that.

Chelsea's transfers on the whole are really loving good, which could be why they won the league last year and in 2014-15. And even now they have the 3rd best defense in the league with a back 5 and GK that cost like £75m total and also the oldest of them is only 28. Also Hazard, Willian, Kante and Cesc were all pretty good signings.

Chelsea is one goal away from getting to CL quarter finals and one Spurs, Mourinho or Liverpool choke job away from finishing top 4 again.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Salah was really bad for Chelsea. I guess Chelsea could've tried to bring him back when moved to Roma on loan, but I don't recall anyone other than maybe a couple Egyptian fans on reddit suggesting that.

Chelsea's transfers on the whole are really loving good, which could be why they won the league last year and in 2014-15. And even now they have the 3rd best defense in the league with a back 5 and GK that cost like £75m total and also the oldest of them is only 28. Also Hazard, Willian, Kante and Cesc were all pretty good signings.

Chelsea is one goal away from getting to CL quarter finals and one Spurs, Mourinho or Liverpool choke job away from finishing top 4 again.

You panic bought Giroud and won't let him get off the bench. Morata is shot of confidence, Batshuayi is scoring for fun in Germany but I'm not sure if that's an indicator of the Bundesliga being garbage or Conte being a poo poo manager.

Playing three twinks up front against City's attacking threat was incredibly stupid. City defends as a team incredibly well but they don't deal well with balls lumped up to a striker like Giroud or Morata.

You say their transfers have been good, Bakayoko is a joke, Drinkwater is a poor mans Matic and an even poorer mans Kante. As I mentioned, Morata has been a liability for the past four months. Rudiger looks like an accident waiting to happen. You signed an £18m left back and he hasn't gotten a kick. Giroud can't get off the bench for whatever reason and lol, just lol at Ross Barkley. Zappacosta has looked good when he's playing tbf.

Selling Ake to Bournemouth and Matic to United were incredibly bad moves. Why Premier League clubs would ever sell players to direct rivals(Arsene) is beyond me. Ake did really well at Bournemouth but was deemed surplus requirements to walking yellow card that is Rudiger.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Rudiger made some truly baffling plays in this match. I don't watch Chelsea enough to comment further on him, but what I saw today wasn't great, far as decision-making goes.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Chelsea could have had a trio of Salah, Hazard, KdB with big lad Lukaku up front lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hegay posted:

Chelsea could have had a trio of Salah, Hazard, KdB with big lad Lukaku up front lol

With Cuadrado on the wing.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

With Cuadrado on the wing.

Lol Mourinho really wasted some big talent

e: Forgot Filipe Luis played for the Chels as well, wtf

Hegay fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 5, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hegay posted:

Lol Mourinho really wasted some big talent

You could also put Oriol Romeu next to Kante instead of Drinkwater as another midfield destroyer.

Edit: I looked Romeu up, I didn't realize he was for one Spanish and two a Barca academy product.

My only memory of him is his unveiling with Lukaku and Lukaku posting on social media that they spelled his name wrong on the other shirt.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 5, 2018

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
i like united posters constantly telling themselves how good matic is to stick it to us

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
the Largely The Same Team That Won The League meme

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Anybody else hear the Arsenal fan crying on the radio? Lmao

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pissflaps posted:

I thought we got rid of Piers Morgan :-/

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
A broken heart is no laughing matter.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Paddy Power have paid out on bets that Wenger will be the next manager sacked.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Given that Alan Pardew has not been sacked yet I assume that's just a publicity stunt.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Paddy Power have paid out on bets that Wenger will be the next manager sacked.

They do poo poo like this all the time for publicity, i suspect there really wasn't much money actually placed on this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

peanut- posted:

Given that Alan Pardew has not been sacked yet I assume that's just a publicity stunt.

west brom haven't sacked him because they do't think anyone else wants the job right now

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jose posted:

west brom haven't sacked him because they do't think anyone else wants the job right now

They're right, too. West Brom are down, so no point in paying someone Premier League wages now. Also, wouldn't be surprised if there was a break in Pardew's contract where they may not have to pay him as much after relegation.

Hopefully it's the last we see of the oval office. I doubt anyone in the Premier League will look at him again.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

The time is right for Tactics Tim

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

They need a stabilizing force: Mike Bassett where are you?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Was it luvd?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/05/arsenal-confidence-laurent-koscielny-arsene-wenger

Really weird to see a player so candidly talk about how hosed up his team is.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Christ, there's no way Wenger's staying on is there? There's "losing the dressing room" and then there's "losing the dressing room to a point where your captain is writing Guardian articles about how much you've lost the dressing room".

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I hope the rumors are true about Everton hiring Wengy after he is sacked by Arsenal. That'll be fun.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Davey Klaasen's playing for Everton's u23s right now against Swansea and got booked in the first minute. Looks out of his depth.

What a signing.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Why the gently caress would Wenger go to Everton, that doesn't really make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
If Wenger is smart (he isn’t), he’ll lay low for a year or two while people forget what a garbage fire this season has been.

Der Shovel posted:

Christ, there's no way Wenger's staying on is there? There's "losing the dressing room" and then there's "losing the dressing room to a point where your captain is writing Guardian articles about how much you've lost the dressing room".

You would think so. At this point I would rather just sack him now and get a caretaker manager in until the end of the season. Seems like just about any manager could do better than Wenger at the moment.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 5, 2018

• Locked thread