Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

blue footed boobie posted:

If Wenger is smart (he isn’t), he’ll lay low for a year or two while people forget what a garbage fire this season has been.

If Wenger was smart Arsenal wouldn't be a garbage fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Wenger will take a year off to go watch the indonesian 3rd division in person then manage the french national team

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Wenger will dual manage PSG and the French national team and win literally every single trophy, and we'll all conclude that he was never the problem. It was Arsenal all along.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Wenger is going to be 69 next season why doesn't he just vacation the rest of his life?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Wenger is going to be 69 next season why doesn't he just vacation the rest of his life?

Nice

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Because he’s a divorcee and self admitted weirdo with no life.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

T Bowl posted:

Why the gently caress would Wenger go to Everton, that doesn't really make sense.

He wants to manage a side that plays at a championship level again

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

He will find a young french/african woman with potential, let's be honest.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Xabi posted:

He will find a young french/african woman with potential, let's be honest.

And then take her to a cheap restaurant; ensuring she leaves him for someone with more money.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Wenger's life is football, he's said it many times. Weird too he's that obsessed yet still doesn't keep any of the trophies.

I think he will go manage in France after Arsenal.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Anybody else hear the Arsenal fan crying on the radio? Lmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbc606/status/970440351575166976

loving lol

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y2rW9xEnw4

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

that's me

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

He's a what?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

fat gay nonce posted:

He's a what?

A divorced person.

quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009
it's me, i'm the crying arsenal fan

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's honestly baffling to me why Wenger didn't bow out at the end of his last contract. It was obvious to all onlookers he'd gone as far as he could with Arsenal.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Hard to let go of your life's work. He probably figured he could get one last Top Four Trophy

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ninpo posted:

It's honestly baffling to me why Wenger didn't bow out at the end of his last contract. It was obvious to all onlookers he'd gone as far as he could with Arsenal.

Based on his recent comments, he really seems to lack any self-reflection on this issue. He seems to feel that he is entitled to keep managing Arsenal because he thinks he is the best person for the job and has been loyal to Arsenal in the past.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

arsenal fans are freaking gay lol

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Shrapnig posted:

Transfers

I feel like you're mixing up Conte's issues with the board's problems.

Every transfer you mentioned has been with the club less than 8 months, and most of them are between 23 and 25 years old. They've underperformed this year but it's a bit early to be writing them off.

The big issue was selling Costa and Matic. Bakayoko, Rudiger, Drinkwater, Caballero, Morata, Giroud, and Emerson were all thought of as good signings at the time.

I want to keep Conte but he and the board need to bury the hatchet.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
arsene and big sam direct swap imo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

More like Conte and Wenger direct swap, and that might actually work

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

RideTheSpiral posted:

he’s divorced not a swinger

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

RideTheSpiral posted:

*Extremely Bill Simmons high pitched voice* Who says no? Who says no???

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

quote:

Arsène Wenger believes that he is the best man to take Arsenal forward and has told his coaching staff that the club will have to sack him to bring an end to his 22-year tenure.

The Arsenal manager is facing increasing pressure to stand down at the end of a dismal season in which his side have slumped to sixth place in the Premier League, 33 points behind the leaders Manchester City. The Frenchman, though, is undeterred and will resist any attempts to get him to agree to a dignified exit this summer. Wenger has never broken a contract in his career and having signed a new two-year deal last summer wants to see it out with one final campaign at the Emirates Stadium.

The 68-year-old has lost the support of key directors at the club, but is hoping that the strength of his relationship with Stan Kroenke, the majority shareholder, will spare him the sack. That may depend on the feedback that Kroenke receives from his son, Josh, an Arsenal director who has spent the past fortnight gaining insight into the club’s operations, but who has now returned to the US.

Kroenke Sr’s plans are hard to gauge, but others on the Arsenal board are increasingly certain that Wenger should be moved on, though would prefer him to leave of his own volition. Ken Friar, the 83-year-old former managing director, was the only member of the board who attended Sunday’s 2-1 defeat away to Brighton & Hove Albion, with Ivan Gazidis, the chief executive, sending apologies to their hosts for missing the game as he was away on business.

Gazidis has been driving change at Arsenal for several years, but has work to do to persuade Wenger to stand down and spare himself an embarrassing situation. Gazidis has made a series of significant executive appointments, including the recruitment of Raul Sanllehi from Barcelona as head of football operations and a new chief scout in Sven Mislintat, from Borussia Dortmund, but only after reaching a compromise with Wenger under which many of his existing staff were permitted to stay.

• In a survey conducted by Arsenal Supporters’ Trust online and at last night’s meeting, 88 per cent of AST members voted for Arsenal to end Wenger’s contract when his position is reviewed in the summer. The results of the survey will be passed on to Gazidis this weekend.

As expected then. Wengy is going to make the board sack him.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Hegay posted:

Was it luvd?

Baby don't hurt me

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

MrBling posted:

As expected then. Wengy is going to make the board sack him.

Supposedly Stan Kroenke is going to be relying on his son Josh’s recommendation about what to do with Wenger. I suspect they will wait until the end of the season, but it really seems like Wenger needs to be pushed out now. He’s lost the dressing room and Arsenal need to start planning for how they are going to right their ship next season.

On that note, there are also rumors going around that Ramsey is going to wait out his contract and try to leave on a free. It’s amazing how often this club runs into this problem.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I do wonder how much fan sentiment he still has left. Social media/ArsenalFanTv seemingly would be happy with him out as soon as they are out of the EL. Clearly that's not the right way to send someone off, but would the average person who turns up actually care if they had a caretaker for the rest of the season, once they go out to Milan?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The best way would be to announce he's leaving end of the season and they'll have a replacement but they can't do that if they have to sack him lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Wenger was never good he just lucked out having Bergkamp and Henry

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Which top level manager would even want to succeed him? It seems like an even more thankless job than trying to succeed Alex Ferguson.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

MrBling posted:

Which top level manager would even want to succeed him? It seems like an even more thankless job than trying to succeed Alex Ferguson.

Ones who like challenges and money, so, most?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

5 points clear of safety :smug:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Though seriously all that chart proves is pep is able to take the best squad in a league and with a mere several hundred million pounds completely run away with the title yet again

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Though seriously all that chart proves is pep is able to take the best squad in a league and with a mere several hundred million pounds completely run away with the title yet again

He’s got an unbeatable strategy of getting all of the best players and juicing them out of their minds.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The big issue was selling Costa

and vice versa!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

i'm pretty sure i've read many posts from liverpool and united fans arguing, player for player, they actually have better squads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I'm pretty sure you haven't.

• Locked thread