Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I’ve seen a couple things suggesting golden oysters are spreading in the wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Hope your day is good

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

the yeti posted:

I’ve seen a couple things suggesting golden oysters are spreading in the wild

They're considered invasive in N. America, yeah?

I feel bad because last year (not KNOWING they were invasive) I bought a golden oyster spore kit. I did grow LOTS of mushrooms, hopefully none spread...if it helps, due to winter and rodents/birds hauling away a LOT of the straw they were growing in, it appears the mycelium died and has not come back.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Finally found something cool.

Lilac bolete

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

nice

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is it just me or does anyone else find it hard to use boletes in cooking? I just find they taste like mush without a strong mushroom flavour. Maybe I need to use more salt or cook them longer?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Or cook them less. Porcini can be eaten raw. Thin slices with a drizzle of olive oil are pretty tasty. Not all boletes are created equal though, some aren't all that good.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mantle posted:

Is it just me or does anyone else find it hard to use boletes in cooking? I just find they taste like mush without a strong mushroom flavour. Maybe I need to use more salt or cook them longer?

Fully open ones can be spongy or downright mushy if it’s wet, and I’ve gotten to the point I don’t really harvest ones in that state anymore.

Some species are also just mild too—of the ones I can find in PA only a handful are what I’d consider strong enough to be distinct.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Lovely gallery this is from:

https://imgur.com/gallery/mrRUIwr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That's a spicy one there. Still no mushrooms in my part of the world, I expect the season is going to kick off exactly when I go on holiday :(

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i don't care if this is cheating, look at my pretties:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone know what this is? It's growing in the mulch around my mulberry tree. Last year I spread a bunch of Wine Cap spores (got a bunch of them, too) but clearly these are not they.

I mean... I'm certainly not planning on eating them, but will they possibly harm my tree or other plants in the vicinity?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My new neighbors hired tree trimmers (good) and also had them clear out brush (fine) which they did very thoroughly, including on my side of the property line right up to my house (bad). I specifically left the area on my side brushy and jungle-y because I like it and because the wood and leaf litter on the ground is where most of my mushrooms grow. Now it’s plain and open. I’m still getting regular mica caps in big bunches at the base of my elm tree, but nothing else. Too much sun and not enough composted material anymore.

I realize the neighbor might have thought it would be nice to just tell them to do the whole thing, except one glance at my yards and gardens tells you I have everything meticulously where I want it. I didn’t leave brush tucked around the side of my house out of laziness. Now my shade plants are not doing so great either.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyone know what this is? It's growing in the mulch around my mulberry tree. Last year I spread a bunch of Wine Cap spores (got a bunch of them, too) but clearly these are not they.

I mean... I'm certainly not planning on eating them, but will they possibly harm my tree or other plants in the vicinity?

That’s dog vomit slime, it’s everywhere but is particularly noticeable on mulch. I don’t know for sure but I don’t think that it’s capable of farming plants

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Pretty good day out today

Boletus separans

Boletus nobilis, I believe

Amanita sp,, possibly flavoconia

Birds nest

Wine cap :quagmire:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

the yeti posted:

That’s dog vomit slime, it’s everywhere but is particularly noticeable on mulch. I don’t know for sure but I don’t think that it’s capable of farming plants

Ahhh, thanks.

When I left work today their mulch ALSO exploded with some shrooms (makes sense, half the drat state was underwater on Tuesday)
I'm not sure if these are all the same... And these pics are maybe 1/4 of the total different spots I saw:

When I first saw this I thought maybe it was bear tooth or cauliflower fungus, then I got closer and I think it's just the same ones as the others, just decomposed

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

After last couple years of lovely foraging in NY the rains have finally brought back the oysters. We found so much more than this and I’ve been gorging on them for days

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

When they’re thick on bottom

:heysexy:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Painted sullius

Ganoderma sp.

Edit-
Xeromphalina sp.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 16, 2023

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

What the gently caress, there’s a mushroom thread?? And here I’ve only been posting about mushrooms in the psychedelic thread like a loving idiot.

I’m in the PNW and am hoping we have more of a fall than we did last year. Might go out to see if anything is growing from the ice melts but otherwise waiting for the rain to return. 2021 fall season was so fun for me but 2022 was pretty sad (except for a bunch of matsutake. That ruled).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Crocobile posted:

What the gently caress, there’s a mushroom thread?? And here I’ve only been posting about mushrooms in the psychedelic thread like a loving idiot.

I’m in the PNW and am hoping we have more of a fall than we did last year. Might go out to see if anything is growing from the ice melts but otherwise waiting for the rain to return. 2021 fall season was so fun for me but 2022 was pretty sad (except for a bunch of matsutake. That ruled).

Welcome!

Last year the PNW was what, turbo-hot and then it got cold quickly? The Pacific Ocean is in an El Niño state this year, so winter should be a lot more mild. I'm hoping 90 degree smoke season doesn't hang around until late October, too.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Crocobile posted:

Please post all the fruiting bodies images u got.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
As my 20 month old daughter is finally mobilized and able to carry out basic assignments, we went on our first mini foray on Bainbridge last weekend. She found a ton of russalas and insisted on bringing every one of them home. She’s recently taken my copy of All That The Rain Promises, and More and made it a permanent part of her board book collection. She flips through it likes pointing at them saying “that!?”, so we brought the shrooms home, laid them all out on the coffee table, and did an identification sesh.

Truffle Pig Training has begun.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
PNW mushroom nerds should know that button chants are already up near Port Gamble and lobsters are already on north-facing slopes in NW WA at around 350’.

Get on out there, folks.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Guido Merkens posted:

As my 20 month old daughter is finally mobilized and able to carry out basic assignments, we went on our first mini foray on Bainbridge last weekend. She found a ton of russalas and insisted on bringing every one of them home. She’s recently taken my copy of All That The Rain Promises, and More and made it a permanent part of her board book collection. She flips through it likes pointing at them saying “that!?”, so we brought the shrooms home, laid them all out on the coffee table, and did an identification sesh.

Truffle Pig Training has begun.

I just had my first baby last week and this post is making me feel things. Incredibly adorable and absolutely life goals

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

Hooplah posted:

I just had my first baby last week and this post is making me feel things. Incredibly adorable and absolutely life goals

Congratulations! Don’t worry, you’ll sleep again someday.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Guido Merkens posted:

Congratulations! Don’t worry, you’ll sleep again someday.

My small man is 18 months, and it's true. The newborn period is hellish, but short. I'm really looking forward to all of the things we can do together once he's a little more verbal.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
My little guy found his first morel last year, and I’ve never been so proud

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Any of y’all tried inoculating wine caps into mulch? If so what kind of mulch (pine, hardwood, etc) and what kind of success did you have?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Hardwood and it's easy as heck. I don't remember what amount of chips i put them in but it was a good amount and they ate through it quick! Like 1.5 seasons. Not my favorite shroom though (texture-wise) so I didn't replenish the chips.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Mushfriends I've seen on my recent travels:

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Uh oh, I was just watering the shiitake logs so they wouldn't dry out... didn't expect this in the middle of summer. Biggest flush yet, 3 yr old logs I think? I have terrible memory for time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mildly upset today, went for a walk in the woods around my office figuring I HAD to find some shrooms with all the rain went had lately.

I did... But I was a few days too late for most. Found some chanterelles and hedgehogs that were et up by slings and bugs:

But I did find a few edible chanterelles in a different part of the woods, and a single birch bolete:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That’s a picture perfect Leccinum scabrum, nice find

Edit:
Found one of my very favorite species yesterday, Butyriboletus Exsudoporus frostii (sigh, taxonomy)

the yeti fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 12, 2023

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
The only meme I've ever made that I felt proud of was this, for a Facebook foraging group in 2020 when ringless honey mushrooms were popping up all over North Carolina. It is here for you.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

A few more boletus today.
Two Bay Boletes:

And an orange birch bolete:

Some was eaten in the bottom, but I cut that off and it is slowly turning blue, as a birch bolete should:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've been on holiday, where I got a fair number of nice chanterelles, but now I'm back in Norway and mushroom season is in full swing.

My partner got a great haul of chanterelles the other day.

Out walking the dog I picked up a few Lactarius deliciosus (not pictured) and a cute little Gomphidius glutinosus. I only ever seem to find one of these at a time.

Also some more mysterious shrooms: I'm not going to eat these but ID help would be appreciated! These are possibly Lactarius, with a small amount of whitish-clearish milk when cut and a hollow, somewhat crumbly stipe. But I can't figure out what species they would be.

Also can't find a good candidate for these: abundant white milk, but also lots of purple staining after picking.

I forget what sort of trees they were under, but probably spruce or pine.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 15, 2023

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
Hail mushroom friends, a certain goon made me aware of this thread, and I felt inspired to go see what's been growing here in the hardwood forests of Connecticut following a week of intermittent thunderstorms. It seemed I was a little late to the game as the bugs had beaten me to most specimens I came across, however I got some nice pictures and good eats out of the trip! Here's a few pictures from the afternoon.

Cool maze bracket. Daedaleopsis confragosa?

Some kind of Marasmius maybe? Cute little fellas.

Young Russula emetica, aka the Sickener, these guys are extremely common in my neck of the woods, however, I didn't see a whole lot of them on the cliff I was hiking around that day.

No idea! Gnarly looking.

Thought this might be a death cap perhaps...

Unknown little bolete.

A slug's lunch.

Trametes versicolor, or Turkey Tails! The color of the younger specimen on the right was quite beautiful. I read some people make a medicinal tea out of these, but I didn't have the guts to try it.

One of many little brown mushrooms I encountered on my journey. Probably some kind of deadly cortinarius?

I hear black trumpets are delicious, but I wasn't sure about this one as I hadn't studied or foraged for them before, so I left it alone.

Not sure about these loners...

Cortinarius Iodes, I think. Always striking when you see a spot of purple poking out from the forest floor.

I mistakenly thought this was old chicken of the woods (Laetiporus sulphureus), since I hadn't found any for a while. Perhaps foolishly I nibbled on a small piece of a fresher-looking part and, though rubbery in texture, it had an amazing buttery rich flavor. I placed some in my bag and was surprised when I got home that it had bruised black in a lot of places, leading me to believe that it was actually the black-staining polypore Meripilus sumstinei. I attempted to make a broth out of the bits I collected however I did some errands while they were simmering and I didn't add enough water so they were a burned mess when I came back.

Score!! This chicken of the woods didn't have much meat when I came across it, but that meant I had beaten the bugs to its discovery! I sautéed it in a butter sauce over rice; it was delicious.

Mystery tooth fungus.

No idea, but whoa!

I thought these might be jack-o'-lanterns at first, but in retrospect, their gills appear to be of a different color. They were growing next to these spicy boys below:

A couple of destroyed destroying angels, probably.

A more mature specimen found some ways down the trail.

Found this fella in the parking lot on my way out. A. flavoconia maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

fibblins posted:

Hail mushroom friends, a certain goon made me aware of this thread, and I felt inspired to go see what's been growing here in the hardwood forests of Connecticut following a week of intermittent thunderstorms. It seemed I was a little late to the game as the bugs had beaten me to most specimens I came across, however I got some nice pictures and good eats out of the trip! Here's a few pictures from the afternoon.

I hear black trumpets are delicious, but I wasn't sure about this one as I hadn't studied or foraged for them before, so I left it alone.

I’m excited to see so much variety in dead rear end August, wow. I’d have risked it all on that one that looks like a black trumpet.