Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
It got warm and some mushrooms popped up. These might be oysters? PNW on a fallen red alder

Saw these walking as well

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Definitely oysters. They're popping up here on the island too.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'd like to learn how to do spore prints so I can feel better about collecting shrooms like this, anyone have some good info for learning the basics with these? A rude friend sent me pics of store bought oysters claiming these weren't them.. I'm pretty sure they are but you know.. spore prints right?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Taking a spore print is pretty straightforward. Get a sample or two of the mushroom and place it on a piece of paper. To do it right ideally you should put half of the sample on white paper and half on black paper. Put a bowl over it all and wait a couple of hours for the spores to drop on the paper and presto, you've got a print!

As a disclaimer, don't just rely on the print, but take note of everything else used as identifiers as well as the print. Eat them at your own risk :birddrugs:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That avatar :swoon:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those look pretty close to oysters to me too (I don't know west coast shrooms so I'm hesitant to say "yeah definitely")

The last ones look like mica caps, Coprinellus micaceus, or a relative

It loving snowed here saturday so I have all of jack and poo poo going on as far as mushrooms :(

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Books suggestions for the US, specifically the northeast and mid Atlantic?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

All the good mushroom books seem to be like $400 now

E- also I don’t know what I’m taking about but I did find a decent amount of morels this year

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

bloody ghost titty posted:

Books suggestions for the US, specifically the northeast and mid Atlantic?

My books are packed right now, I’ll list the ones I have when I find them but I will say the Audubon book is solid.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just got the book with the leering trombonist, hoping to find some morels or other good things here in central New Mexico.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

My state's mushroom group blowing up with chanterelle sightings but I can't find a single one in my county D:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Prop Wash posted:

My state's mushroom group blowing up with chanterelle sightings but I can't find a single one in my county D:

I've been stuck inside the last 4 weeks thanks to a sprained ankle but I think they're only just starting to come on here

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What are these guys growing in my vegetable garden? SE US if it matters.

I think I missed chanterelle season. I never got out in the woods to look, but maybe if I go up the country there will be some.

E:They look like psilocybin? I did add a bunch of black kow composted cow manure to my garden....

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Do a spore print! And see what colour they turn when you crush them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I started using the app Picture Mushroom on iOS and it’s great, just FYI

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hello forum reboot, here’s some new mushrooms

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Is that last one oysters?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

the yeti posted:

Is that last one oysters?

Yeah, golden oysters, there’s been tons of them around here lately

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gorgeous! And delicious!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Just got smooshed by a thunderstorm so I'm thinking tomorrow is going to be mushrooming day. I want some chanterelles dammit

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I had a dream about finding chanterelles last night. I tried to smell their fruitiness but only got pillow. It's very hot and dry here on the west coast, at least for the next few weeks. I'm going camping up north soon so hopefully I'll find some stuff to photograph and ID.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
This seems like a good subforum. Here's a bad fungus picture.

(presumably "devil's urn")

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I've been wanting to get into foraging mushrooms since I was a kid, but the caveats of "don't eat it unless you know exactly what it is" and that it seems like every edible mushroom has a poisonous doppelganger has always put me off. So uh... what's the trick, I guess? My mom and I attended all sorts of outdoorsy seminars when I was a teenager, and I think the mushroom people were the only ones worse than the bee people about scaring new people off of their hobby.

Earlier this summer I seeded two logs with shitake and two logs with oyster dowels I got off amazon, so hopefully I'll have some I know I can eat next year.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The mushroom season here in Scandinavia is only about to start for real, so I'll probably have some spiffy finds soon - but a couple of months ago my buddy and I found a large Laetiporus Sulphuraus, or in English, 'Chicken-of-the-Woods'. In Danish we just call it by the translated latin, which is "porous sulphur mushroom".

On the felled Salix it was growing on:

Harvested, note the almost neon yellow tone on the underside, which makes it hard to mis-ID:

And at it's logical conclusion, turned into 'chicken' nuggers:

Tastes amazing, both texture and water content makes it very reminiscent of a piece of chicken, or perhaps lobster.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nice Tias, I didn’t realize you got that over there! It’s honestly one of my favorite edibles because as you say it’s easy to ID and the color and habit makes it pretty easy to find.

A trick I found is that any parts of one that are too tough to eat make a really pleasant lemon colored broth for soup.

Arven posted:

I've been wanting to get into foraging mushrooms since I was a kid, but the caveats of "don't eat it unless you know exactly what it is" and that it seems like every edible mushroom has a poisonous doppelganger has always put me off. So uh... what's the trick, I guess? My mom and I attended all sorts of outdoorsy seminars when I was a teenager, and I think the mushroom people were the only ones worse than the bee people about scaring new people off of their hobby.

Earlier this summer I seeded two logs with shitake and two logs with oyster dowels I got off amazon, so hopefully I'll have some I know I can eat next year.

There are some edibles like the chicken of the woods Tias has up there that are nearly impossible to mis-ID once you understand some terms, but yeah lots of them can be tricky and there are certainly species I won’t mess with despite doing this for 4 or 5 years now.

The real trick as such is to find a local club if you have one, and get a book or two about species in your region. I’ve learned the most by holding specimens in my hand and watching old timers do the identification.

Tjadeth posted:

(presumably "devil's urn")

Ayup, neat little guys

the yeti fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 18, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's an amazing idea! Like, just the bits that are too weather-worn, you can't use a dead COTW for it, right?

Arven posted:

While it is true, some families are worse than others. For instance, boletes have a wide variety of tasty, safe members, 2 poisonous ones, and one that isn't poisonous but full of a stinking ether that destroys the entire dish you put it i. Wait, gently caress, now I'm scaring you too :eng99:

What I wanted to get at, was: Find some shrooms that are easy to ID, have many edible members, and get comfortable with that one family. I recommend boletes, or for an even safer bet, oysters or chantarelles. Just observe the one simple rule that is also in the OP: Not really sure? Let it be, and take home those you're absolutely certain about.

It takes some preparatory work watching tutorials and reading mushroom books, but once you get the 'strong eye' that tells mushrooms from the undergrowth and the knowledge that it's good eating, you'll be astounded at how much fun it is. Also, if you know a friend who picks, someone experienced, have them teach you, it's always more effective and less chore-like.

This awaits you!

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I do work for an insitutional type place. One of the guys was outside picking and eating little brown mushrooms in the yard. Then he complained of stomach pains. He's lucky he didn't pop a deathcap.

Tias
May 25, 2008

excellent bird guy posted:

I do work for an insitutional type place. One of the guys was outside picking and eating little brown mushrooms in the yard. Then he complained of stomach pains. He's lucky he didn't pop a deathcap.

The kind of institution where guys can't take of themselves mentally? If so consider cutting mushrooms and some of the angrier photodermatitis causing plants in the areas they go outside( like parsnips and bear weed) back, so the clients don't get hosed up by them.

Tias fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 18, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tias posted:

That's an amazing idea! Like, just the bits that are too weather-worn, you can't use a dead COTW for it, right?

Yeah exactly that, a little worn, a little dried out, the basal parts of a piece that tend to get fibrous, all that can go for soup broth or add to chicken or beef stock if that’s a thing you make.

Tias posted:

For instance, boletes have a wide variety of tasty, safe members, 2 poisonous ones, and one that isn't poisonous but full of a stinking ether that destroys the entire dish you put it i. Wait, gently caress, now I'm scaring you too :eng99:

I favor boletes heavily starting in a few months largely because living in the northeast US, there are enormous old oaks everywhere and many good species love them.

Instagram is killing me rn because a few people I follow on the west coast US and in Russia are hauling in the porcini and Suillus sp. like crazy.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 18, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Oops

Tias
May 25, 2008

the yeti posted:

Yeah exactly that, a little worn, a little dried out, the basal parts of a piece that tend to get fibrous, all that can go for soup broth or add to chicken or beef stock if that’s a thing you make.

I favor boletes heavily starting in a few months largely because living in the northeast US, there are enormous old oaks everywhere and many good species love them.

Instagram is killing me rn because a few people I follow on the west coast US and in Russia are hauling in the porcini and Suillus sp. like crazy.

Boletes are pouring in over Denmark as we speak, but it will probably be some weeks before my island gets any proper belts due to poor rain patterns :sigh:

Anyone here good with sowing spores, and can explain the process? I might do that for next year.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Amazingly I like both games and nature, so I made this thing.

Anyways, some shrooms are starting to pop up, I am looking forward to Late August and September again in Sweden when there were masses of Boletes and other shroomage about last year

A surprise Morel Gyromitra esculenta right in the standard walkway to our lake through a small forest thicket. Apparently potentially deadly and poison remains even after cooking, but people here eat them anyways, I take no chances with shrooms and did not touch it.

These look like some tasty candy treats, not sure what they are and they were really small, but I still had an urge to just pop some in my mouth, if only to see if the texture would be all gummyish, but alas must resist again.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Tias posted:

This awaits you!

God I miss boletes, last year's harvest was poor and I got spoiled the year before that because you couldn't walk by an oak without finding a half dozen that year.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

I will likely make an effort post later this year now that I know this thread exists, when I actually get time to pick up suspicious fungi off the ground.

What I can say is that NJ and PA are overrun with enormous lepiotas right now. Like god drat they are the size of basketballs and I can see them from my car and ID them with certainty.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

The French Army posted:

I will likely make an effort post later this year now that I know this thread exists, when I actually get time to pick up suspicious fungi off the ground.

What I can say is that NJ and PA are overrun with enormous lepiotas right now. Like god drat they are the size of basketballs and I can see them from my car and ID them with certainty.

Looking forward to it. Anyone got any good starter material specifically for the Michigan area? I've been looking into fungus for a hot second but it's pretty overwhelming without some base of knowledge and identification.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Anyone in the Carolinas? I could use some help finding boletes. All I ever find are bitter-rear end Tylopilus sp. My chanterelle game is strong, though. Black trumpets, cinnabars, and goldens.

Also if anyone has a maitake spot anywhere in the Carolinas or Virginia to share, I'd be eternally grateful.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 20, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dik Hz posted:

Anyone in the Carolinas? I could use some help finding boletes. All I ever find are bitter-rear end Tylopilus sp. My chanterelle game is strong, though. Black trumpets, cinnabars, and goldens.

Also if anyone has a maitake spot anywhere in the Carolinas or Virginia to share, I'd be eternally grateful.

Maitake are best found around the biggest old oaks you can find afaik.

As far as boletes, I'm not sure what goes on down there; the good boletes I have around me are almost universally under oak and sometimes beech, occasionally hemlock, and they like it dryer than the chanterelles do.

(Here at least boletes that are popping when chants are will come down with Hypomyces if they're in a wet-wet spot)

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Mushroom season has started in Finland!

Well, technically it started a while back, but I refuse to eat Gyromitra, so I just picked them for other people. A couple of weeks ago, we got our first golden chanterelles and more just keep popping up because we've had a good mixture of rain and warmer weather.

And our first boletes also popped up!

We're not the most expert mushroom foragers, but we get by with chanterelles (black and golden), yellowfoot and boletes. I tried looking for morels to extend the season, but no luck, I only found loving Gyromitra :argh: We also grow tree oysters in spent coffee grounds.

I'm planning to give Woolly Milkcaps a go this autumn, because they're really easy to identify, plentiful and apparently keep very well when salted.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Can anyone recommend what type of terrain / vegetation I should be looking in for mushrooms here in New Mexico? We've got lots of juniper and scrubby oak at low elevations, pines and such higher up, and aspen at the highest elevations. There's not a lot of big oaks like I see some people mention in this thread. I've heard you should look in recent burn areas for morels, but I'm wondering if I can find some stuff more locally... maybe down along the river after a rain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Big beefy conks