Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

This isn't a mushroom, it's a slime mold! Wolf's milk slime to be precise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

The Glumslinger posted:

I see mushrooms like these on fallen trees all over the place here (SF Bay Area), anyone know what kind they are? I assume they're rather poisonous

Most likely turkey tails (Trametes versicolor). There's another similar looking species appropriately called false turkey tails. If the underside has pores, it's turkey tails. They're one of the most hardy fungi I see - they grow throughout the winter even.
They're not poisonous - some people make a tincture out of them to cure various ailments. I can't say how effective it is.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i was considering going out this upcoming week for a preliminary look in my neck of the woods, does anyone have any general tips for what sorts of areas they like popping up in? near water? around paths? certain kinds of trees? i have all sorts of options out there. i like getting a variety of opinions from firsthand experiences since that's usually better than just reading some random article online.

I'm from near you (Kentucky) but this advice probably applies everywhere. Finding mushrooms depends on what the mushroom's food source is. Some live on dead wood, some on living roots, some on insects, etc. etc. That said, you can find a lot of mushrooms by looking around any fallen logs.

They're also seasonal. Winter is not great but as it gets into the warmer parts of spring you'll start to find them. Late summer / early fall is when things really get going though.

From about May - Nov I love to hike and just let my eyes sort of scan the bases of living trees and logs and I find tons. Once you start looking, you will see them everywhere.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Also found what I believe to be a slimy violet cort:

Stringy mucus from touching the cap. Almost looked like a plastic Easter egg from that color. And I think I caught a glimpse of some rusty red spores on the stem.

Definitely a Cortinarious but not a C. violaceus, those have rough caps, not slimy. Perhaps a viscous violet cort, Cortinarius iodes? Those are slimy and lilac.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Mantle posted:

1. Could this be anything other than COW? My friend ate some already and she said she is fine.

2. Is there anything that can be mistaken for COW and is also seriously poisonous? If it's similar and just not tasty that's not too concerning.

Looks a lot like CoTW - it's an orange shelf with yellow edges.

AFAIK, the only "close" poisonous species is jack o' lanterns, which are not a shelf but an orange, stalked mushroom.