Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Old thread, which has apparently fallen into archives: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797716

Corresponding thread for plant friends: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938360

This is extremely off the cuff, I just went to go Post Some Mushrooms in the mushroom thread and it's archived, so I'm making a new one. If someone wants to make an OP I'll happily edit it in.

The only mushroomy thing I'm really qualified to say is don't loving eat a mushroom you find outside unless you're 100% sure what it is.
Here are some books (from the old OP, will add some from my local club as soon as I can find them on their awful website) that are good for learning what you're looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/Mushrooms-Demystified-David-Arora/dp/0898151694
https://www.amazon.com/National-Audubon-American-Mushrooms-Hardcover/dp/0394519922

My first finds this year:

Tremella sp., "Witches' butter"

Exidia recisa, Amber jelly roll

Polyporus alveolaris, Hexagonal-pored polypore

Afaik both the Tremella and Exidia tend to like dead branches still attached to trees, so after winter weather or rainstorms that bring down a lot of dead wood are good times to find them.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Some more stuff from winter:

These are probably some kind of oysters

These I've no idea about; they were found under conifers in a well drained area in western NC in late fall if anyone has any ideas.

NEW SECTION: How the gently caress do I ID these guys?

There are a bunch of Facebook groups out there that are full of expertise but also frankly take themselves way too god drat seriously.

Nobody in here is going to yell at you for not posting all of this info but the more of these things you have the better the chance you or someone can ID it reasonably* correctly.
(* lots of species level stuff gets into microscopy and other very academic tests)

Photos:
-In situ (that is, as you found it)
-Top, side, and side views lying flat (ideally with a scale item or ruler)
-Cross section
-Any staining (I.e.,bruising or discoloration) when handled, scratched, or cut.
-Any staining that happens in the 10-15 minutes after you handle it
-Close up of anything interesting (e.g., textured surfaces, color variance, fluid exudation, spots, wrinkles,)
-Spore print (more on this below)

Info:
-Rough geographical area (country and state, province or geographical region is typically fine )
-Time of year you found it
-Is it growing on the ground, on wood, or on something else?
-If growing on wood, live or fallen? What type of tree?
-If on the ground, what trees are nearby? (Within say 50 feet)
-Did it smell like anything particular? (Common aromas include ‘like store bought mushroom’, fishy, earthy, nutty)
-Did it emit liquid from the flesh or gills when cut? If so what color?

Spore prints!
Getting spore prints is just kinda fun but also a really helpful data point for identification.

To make one you:
-Harvest a mushroom. If you have a choice pick an individual that doesn’t seem too dried out. For species with caps you want them to be just opening.

-Trim the stem (if it has one) flat to the cap and blot surfaces gently with a paper towel

-Place on a sheet of white paper with gill/pore side down. For specimens that don’t lend themselves to this orientation, improvise—for example you might lay a chanterelle simply on its side or prop it up on toothpicks.

-Cover with a bowl and wait. After some hours, I usually do overnight, you can carefully remove the mushroom and you should see a dusting of spores on the paper. The color is what’s useful for casual ID.

Some notes:
-mushrooms carry a lot of water, so using thicker absorbent paper or printed paper with a paper towel underneath helps prevent you getting a mushy or moldy mess.
-spore prints can also be very light so doing them on a dark background in addition to white is often helpful.
-try to do a couple individuals in case one doesn’t come out right

the yeti fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 4, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Astonishing Wang posted:

Did you eat all of those examples? Do you have a favorite type? I'm not a big mushroom fan but I'm trying - I had a Portabella burger the other day that was pretty good, and I like the tiny oyster mushrooms that are found in some asian cuisines.

I didn't harvest any of those; those two jelly fungi could be edible (supposing I've ID'd them correctly) but as small as they are I'd need to find quite a lot to make it worthwhile.
Once I have the knowledge to ID oysters though I'll absolutely be on the lookout for them because they're delicious.

My favorite tasty ones are chanterelles and sulfur shelf, because they're delicious, relatively simple to identify with few to no lookalikes, and bright loving orange so they're relatively easy to spot.

One of last year's chanterelles:

The only sulfur shelf I found:

ed: If you're looking for different ones to try, I'd recommend oysters if you can find them at the grocery. You might also try wood ear (e.g., : https://www.amazon.com/First-Quality-Wood-Ear-Mushroom/dp/B000RHXMCY) that's used a lot in Chinese cooking.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 4, 2018

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dang, Gary Lincoff :rip:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Finally got out! In good weather, even. Ordinarily I wouldn't have nearly this many specific IDs, but I was out with Western PA Mushroom Club so there were actual experts on hand.

Diatrype sp., probably
DSC_5515.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Hydnochaete olivacea
DSC_5527.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Oysters :getin:
DSC_5523.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Hypoxolon sp, probably
DSC_5519.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Disciotis venosa
DSC_5496.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

(loving enormous) Dryad's Saddle
DSC_5490.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Edit:
Critters from this outing over in critterquest!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=setseen&threadid=3807356&index=736

the yeti fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 16, 2018

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hooplah posted:

Morel score

Welcome! That's a nice basket of morels you got there! Your orange guy might be Pycnoporus cinnabarinus, but that's mostly a guess based on color.

Kobolds, I'm afraid I can't be much help with yours because I don't know much about west coast shooms and how they differ from the ones around here, but those are some lovely photos and goddamn that terrain is gorgeous :swoon:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Oh! I somehow missed this the first read over your post. This a :science: slime mold :science: genus Fuligo, possibly Fuligo septica, the aptly named dog vomit slime.

Slime molds are neat little critters, generally existing as single cells much of the time but many have a habit of behaving eerily like a multicelled organism when conditions are right, e.g., to release spores as this one is doing.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Coupla interesting things from today:

Another slime mold, Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa var. fruticulosa
[ttimg]https://i.imgur.com/chSUWD9.jpg[/ttimg]

Orange Mycena, Mycena leaiana

Black footed polypore

Platterfull mushroom, Megacollybia rodmanii

Brittle Cinder, Kretzschmaria deusta

No ideas:

Corresponding critterquest post!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807356&pagenumber=20#post484467329

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 27, 2018

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hi thread! I have been shamefully absent.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Saw this leaving my apartment on my way to work this morning. No idea what I'm looking at.

I'm really bad at "little brown mushrooms" --those could be any number of things. What trees are they near?

Goon Danton posted:

Hi thread, my girlfriend and I found these growing on the maple tree in our yard. Northeastern USA. We think they're summer oysters, but how can we make sure?

The /best/ thing to do is find a local expert, but second best is to cut one mushroom and take a spore print, and do some research on possible lookalikes and how to carefully distinguish them. Already wilted? Upside! They'll probably show right back up next year, if not later this year.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Here's some of my finds lately: https://imgur.com/a/RtIp1Ez
If y'all have questions feel free to link one of the images in and I'll tell you what I know.

Highlights:

A milk cap living up to its name:

A picture perfect Amanita sp.:

Stribolomyces sp. "Old man of the woods"

Indian pipes; these are a plant, but rather than photosynthesize, they're parasitic on mycelium. In other words, where they're abundant the dirt is literally full of mushroom :aaa:

This is a russula of some kind but check out the cojoined inside out cap thing

The jackolantern. Chanterelle lookalike. Faintly bioluminescent. Rather poisonous.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

A shameful triple post but :getin:

Laetiporus cincinnatus, a bit past its prime but...

still delicious:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

extra stout posted:

Have you tested the bioluminescence on these? I found some last year and had to go in the darkest of closets at night time just to see a faint glow down the gills, I'd like to try it on some more fruiting bodies at different times of year since I'm sure like almost all contents of mushrooms the chemical is going to vary in each new fruiting body. The only issue is I haven't seen any since I got the idea last time.

I haven't ever collected any jack because I didn't have a container to separate it from any edibles I happened to find. I'd like to take a look though. I'm sure you're right about it varying, it might also vary with the age of the fruiting body too.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

shaggy looking black boletes I haven't identified,

That sounds like old man of the woods or a relative!

I have tons of photos to post, just gotta get organized in the midst of panic week at work and rearranging the house :(

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This is from memory mind you but consider Hydnellum for your toothed specimen there. Iirc there are only a few genera with teeth.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Are they worth ingesting?

Not unless you hate yourself in a very particular way.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Stinky_Pete posted:

Fake edit: I looked up the right keywords before posting, and it is probably an "oak gall," which is like a hack that wasps use to get the tree to grow a tumor for its larvae to live in. I figure it fits here because it can catch your eye like a mushroom, and is worthy of caution.

It actually is worth pointing out! When the empty galls fall into the leaf litter they sure as poo poo look mushroom cap shaped at a distance.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Here's some :black101: poo poo to start the new year!

Akanthomyces aucleatus, and yes it's an insect pathogen

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:getin: nice! None here yet afaik but it only just started to warm up this week

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yup! I don’t know how specific they are but I tend to find them in conjunction with russulas

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Double posting but I finally found a species I'd wanted to check off for a while!

Indigo milk cap:

Also found Dyer's polypore:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

That indigo milk cap is amazing

Right? And those are pretty old dry ones. If you google the fresh young ones are incredibly colored.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those first two are indeed puffballs, but I'm not sure what species you get around there.

The second , that rich mahogany reminds me of Ganoderma species, but I thought they lived on conifers exlusively so I'm not sure what it could be (or else I'm wrong)

If you've had some cool weather where you are it might be time to get out there looking for maitake/hen of the woods! I've found two in the last week or two, and a whole new selection of fall boletes have started coming up.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The flavors can definitely vary-- I dunno if maitake is farmed on a large scale but who and when the restaurant bought theirs could totally change the flavor compared to the supermarket ones.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nice haul, I keep an eye out for those russulas but I’ve not found any to date.

The fall season here has been thoroughly shithoused by a hot snap right as hens and honeys started coming up :sigh:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tafferling posted:

(what's their english name again? In italian it's little teeth)

Hedgehogs!

That’s a lovely haul; i found basically no fall mushrooms thanks to the weather unfortunately.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

We had a cool rainy spell that kicked off all the normal fall ones and then about ten days of 90° and I haven’t seen anything of note since :(

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those black trumpets :neckbeard: and are those dung beetles?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Double postin

Here are the most recent things of note I found:

Stinkhorn ‘egg’; possibly Phallus impudicus

Giant puffball

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

They could also be very ‘ripe’ giant puffballs I think

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I’m not sure on species because Texas is a long way from me, but that first yellow guy is likely Tremella sp, and the flat leathery ones are likely Stereum sp.—this follows as some Tremella parasitize Stereum.

Your second photo is some kind of puffball.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Chaosfeather posted:

Thank you both so much! None of these were harvested, as we don't want to harvest anything until we become better at IDing fungi. It's very fun to go out and spot them though!

I would point out that harvesting with the intent to go home and do focused ID practice under good light with books or the internet is great practice, just make absolutely sure that anything you're taking to eat is in a separate bag from anything you're not sure about

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Goddamn that penny bun :neckbeard:

I’m genuinely envious, I don’t have a good spot for them yet and proper Boletus edulis group aren’t abundant anyway here

Your blood cells may well be slime mold!

The question of preservation is interesting and honestly I’m not sure—I’ll try to remember to put the question to my local club after work.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those look pretty close to oysters to me too (I don't know west coast shrooms so I'm hesitant to say "yeah definitely")

The last ones look like mica caps, Coprinellus micaceus, or a relative

It loving snowed here saturday so I have all of jack and poo poo going on as far as mushrooms :(

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

bloody ghost titty posted:

Books suggestions for the US, specifically the northeast and mid Atlantic?

My books are packed right now, I’ll list the ones I have when I find them but I will say the Audubon book is solid.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Prop Wash posted:

My state's mushroom group blowing up with chanterelle sightings but I can't find a single one in my county D:

I've been stuck inside the last 4 weeks thanks to a sprained ankle but I think they're only just starting to come on here

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Is that last one oysters?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nice Tias, I didn’t realize you got that over there! It’s honestly one of my favorite edibles because as you say it’s easy to ID and the color and habit makes it pretty easy to find.

A trick I found is that any parts of one that are too tough to eat make a really pleasant lemon colored broth for soup.

Arven posted:

I've been wanting to get into foraging mushrooms since I was a kid, but the caveats of "don't eat it unless you know exactly what it is" and that it seems like every edible mushroom has a poisonous doppelganger has always put me off. So uh... what's the trick, I guess? My mom and I attended all sorts of outdoorsy seminars when I was a teenager, and I think the mushroom people were the only ones worse than the bee people about scaring new people off of their hobby.

Earlier this summer I seeded two logs with shitake and two logs with oyster dowels I got off amazon, so hopefully I'll have some I know I can eat next year.

There are some edibles like the chicken of the woods Tias has up there that are nearly impossible to mis-ID once you understand some terms, but yeah lots of them can be tricky and there are certainly species I won’t mess with despite doing this for 4 or 5 years now.

The real trick as such is to find a local club if you have one, and get a book or two about species in your region. I’ve learned the most by holding specimens in my hand and watching old timers do the identification.

Tjadeth posted:

(presumably "devil's urn")

Ayup, neat little guys

the yeti fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 18, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tias posted:

That's an amazing idea! Like, just the bits that are too weather-worn, you can't use a dead COTW for it, right?

Yeah exactly that, a little worn, a little dried out, the basal parts of a piece that tend to get fibrous, all that can go for soup broth or add to chicken or beef stock if that’s a thing you make.

Tias posted:

For instance, boletes have a wide variety of tasty, safe members, 2 poisonous ones, and one that isn't poisonous but full of a stinking ether that destroys the entire dish you put it i. Wait, gently caress, now I'm scaring you too :eng99:

I favor boletes heavily starting in a few months largely because living in the northeast US, there are enormous old oaks everywhere and many good species love them.

Instagram is killing me rn because a few people I follow on the west coast US and in Russia are hauling in the porcini and Suillus sp. like crazy.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 18, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dik Hz posted:

Anyone in the Carolinas? I could use some help finding boletes. All I ever find are bitter-rear end Tylopilus sp. My chanterelle game is strong, though. Black trumpets, cinnabars, and goldens.

Also if anyone has a maitake spot anywhere in the Carolinas or Virginia to share, I'd be eternally grateful.

Maitake are best found around the biggest old oaks you can find afaik.

As far as boletes, I'm not sure what goes on down there; the good boletes I have around me are almost universally under oak and sometimes beech, occasionally hemlock, and they like it dryer than the chanterelles do.

(Here at least boletes that are popping when chants are will come down with Hypomyces if they're in a wet-wet spot)