Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

big scary monsters posted:

My partner found some morels but unfortunately they were G. esculenta rather than M. esculenta and we're not brave or Finnish enough to eat them. Otherwise nothing yet this season.

How can you tell the difference? I saw a model growing in my yard several years ago but didn't want to risk eating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
A local vendor at the nearby farmers' market has been able to get morels relatively reliably lately. The last couple weekends they've also had porcini mushrooms too.

Another vendor reliably has shiitake, chestnut, oyster, and lions mane mushrooms.

Last Sunday at the farmers market I grabbed some morels, porcini, and lions mane mushrooms to roast. Had them with steamed asparagus & beets (roasted the roots, pureed the leaves with butter).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I wouldn't be surprised if porcinis grow well here in Oregon. The environment is good enough for a variety of mushrooms. I believe truffles can even grow in the area.

Speaking of truffles… there was a Nicholas Cage movie called Pig where his truffle-hunting pig is stolen & he has to find it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSJTPbAm-SM
My ex-roommate dated the person that raised the pig used in the movie & even got to meet Mr. Cage in person.

I don't recall if the pig could actually find truffles though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Even better the initial marketing almost had Pig look like some John Wick-style revenge film, when instead it's a meditative film about loss.

My ex-roommate found a copy at a store for :10bux: so he finally watched it… and hated it. :v:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Saw these softball-sized chokers out in Rochester, WA last weekend:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My local farmers market is exploding with mushrooms. Picked up some porchini and some white Oregon truffles. For the latter, is it okay to pre-slice them a while before serving? I may bring them for a Thanksgiving meal and I got a mandolin at home, but transporting that thing to the host's house may be a pain.