Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I went for a hike and decided to pay extra close attention to the ground.

A white chanterelle! It smells like fruit.

Turkey tail? It's very tough and has teeth instead of gills.

This is a russula brevipes, which is the lobster mushroom before it turns into a lobster. I really want to find one of those.

I found a bunch of others and did some spore prints which is thrilling but I'd like to find some more edible ones. I think I'll go out again after it rains and look with more purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

extra stout posted:

Amanita muscaria is entirely unregulated federally and regulated in only a single state, meaning you can dry those caps and sell them over the internet if you feel like it, meaning you could also PM me if you find a few more preferably not so close to the road

Are they worth ingesting? I know very little about the effects of muscimol. I found a large patch of amanita pantherina growing in a park a few weeks ago and I should have thought of collecting them to sell.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I think the greenish one is turkey tail, or some polypore that's closely related to it.

I recently did a hike through the Monashees, and it's been a comparatively wet summer in that neck of the woods. I've never seen such a bounty of mushrooms. Lots of boletus, russulas, coral fungus, and a bunch of other stuff I couldn't identify. I don't normally see any mushrooms until October. I just hope everything keeps fruiting long enough for me to get out and pick some stuff.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Tiny boletuses are popping up around my yard. Not sure if they're food worthy.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Gomphidius glutinosus, aka the slimy spike cap. Even though it has gills, it's still a member of the boletes family. Apparently they're parasitic to the other boletes as well. Neat!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Candy caps are starting to pop up in my woods.

I'm gonna dry them out and see if they're as mapley as the field guide says they are.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

My SO says the candy caps smell like cat poo poo, so either Paul Stamets lied or I've misidentified. I'd call it a distinct odour, kinda sweet but also not pleasant. I certainly wouldn't want to bake with them.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

We can't reliably identify the capped ones without pulling them apart and doing a spore print. Probably shouldn't eat them regardless.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

For IDing mushrooms I found https://svampe.databasen.org/imagevision, which is pretty helpful in at least narrowing it down to ~6 different species. It's in Danish, I think, but you just upload the picture of the mystery mushroom and it spits suggestions out with pictures and a Latin name you can google.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

That would be tricky, since the mushroom itself isn't exactly alive, it's more of a fruiting body that is a means of propagation. What you'd want to grow is mycelium, but I don't know how difficult it would be to have that growing in a single container without running out of things for it to consume.

I've got some mycelium growing in my kitchen right now for non specific reasons, but it's really impossible to get it to grow and fruit the way a plant would. It's gonna give it all its got and then that'll be it for the mycelium and the substrate. Plus there's fruiting chambers and poo poo that's supposed to mimic the outside world during it's chosen fruition season.

Mycology is rad though and it's worth experimenting. Just don't eat anything.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Definitely oysters. They're popping up here on the island too.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Taking a spore print is pretty straightforward. Get a sample or two of the mushroom and place it on a piece of paper. To do it right ideally you should put half of the sample on white paper and half on black paper. Put a bowl over it all and wait a couple of hours for the spores to drop on the paper and presto, you've got a print!

As a disclaimer, don't just rely on the print, but take note of everything else used as identifiers as well as the print. Eat them at your own risk :birddrugs:

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Do a spore print! And see what colour they turn when you crush them.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I had a dream about finding chanterelles last night. I tried to smell their fruitiness but only got pillow. It's very hot and dry here on the west coast, at least for the next few weeks. I'm going camping up north soon so hopefully I'll find some stuff to photograph and ID.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Big beefy conks

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I went camping last week and found a few good specimens. Two I'm having a harder time identifying.

The first one looks like an immature chanterelle that got attacked by some slugs, but it's a couple months too early and too dry for chanterelles here. It also did not smell fruity:

The second one was growing out of a stump. I thought they were oysters until I looked at the gills:

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Mossy forest floor under a doug fir and I think ocean spray (Holodiscus discolor). Typical PNW forest, but maybe north enough to be earlier? Was around the 50th parallel. If it was a chanterelle I'll have to keep a sharper eye out for them this time of year.

Thank you for the ID on the second one!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Does it pull apart like string cheese?

Kinda. It was somewhere in between a russula and something a little more fibrous. It had everything except the smell. It just smelt like mushroom and dirt.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Anything near or below the road is a no go, or anything in a splash zone. You never know what's being absorbed. Just like how you never eat the berries below the waist.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

The old lady that taught the mushroom hunting class would not stop raving about cauliflower mushrooms. I really want to find some.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Stock up on sanitation products and don't expect to be successful on your first go

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

While we're on the subject of cultivating, I just bought a house with a couple of cold rooms that I think could be easily outfitted as growing and fruiting chambers. If I ever get around to it I'll do a big post on it.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Dik Hz posted:

Puffballs are out in NC. Any suggestions for how to cook 'em? I like to cut them into strips and batter them and deep fry them. I'm open to suggestions though.

You can bbq them like steaks. Any way you'd treat a slab of meat will probably work. Just make sure it's solid inside!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Have you ever seen them glow in person? That'd be real neat!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Nice to meet ya, amanita!

You too, stropharia ambigua, or whoever you are...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Found a bear's head on a walk this weekend