Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There are tonnes of A. muscaria around here in the right season but they almost always seem to be horribly worm-eaten. Can't say I've been too tempted to pick them when we have so many nice hedgehog mushrooms, puffballs and porcini around. Shame the chanterelle haul was a bit disappointing last season.

All winter I've been missing the mushrooms and looking forward to spring, but now we've had a big thaw and loads of rain and I miss skiing and wish the snow would come back for another month or two. Bare ground in March just looks weird, and I haven't even spotted any friendly fungi yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Haven't done too much shrooming this year but the season has arrived in mid-Norway and we got a decent haul walking the dog yesterday.

Found several new chanterelle spots, but we already have a good amount so just took a few and marked the location for future harvesting.

Got a good number of fåresopp (Albatrellus ovinus, Sheep polypore) just off the side of the trail. We were unsure if they might be the similar, inedible but not dangerous franskbrødsopp (lit. French bread mushroom, Albatrellus confluens) because of the fused stems. But they went yellow when heated and tasted nice and mild and not bitter, which is expected of the edible species.

From a distance we thought these guys might be either furumatriske or granmatriske (saffron milkcap /false saffron milkcap, Lactarius deliciosus and Lactarius deterrimus). But they were slimy to the touch and up close the colouring and underside were clearly incorrect. Any ideas? They were in a somewhat damp clearing in spruce/pine forest.

Also spotted a number of large steinsopp (Penny bun, Boletus edulis), unfortunately all badly wormeaten. Also in evidence and duly sampled: wild strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, bilberries and crowberries.
And these mystery shrooms, which I didn't pick and forgot to get better photos of.

Lunch today! Top to bottom: Albatrellus ovinus, Cantharellus cibarius, and Lactarius deliciousus

Larger photos: https://imgur.com/a/6FfE3sN

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 31, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tias posted:

what kind of disturbed country do you belong to that B. Edulis is not called some variant of Karl Johan? :argh:

No seriously, great pics and good haul!
Huh, I knew it is also Steinpilz in German and assumed based on those two examples that stone mushroom was common to germanic languages, but I just looked it up and apparently not! My favourite is the Dutch name, eekhoorntjesbrood or "little squirrel bread".

the yeti posted:

Did you try cutting the gills to see if it leaked anything at all? It's definitely a shape I would think it was some kind of milkcap.
I didn't think to try cutting them because I was sure they weren't the two edible milkcaps I'm familiar with. But I know there are other types here too, if I spot them again I'll find out what colour they bleed. Nice boletes!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Arven posted:

The woods around here are absolutely bursting with mushrooms of all types right now. I saw a couple hundred of these for the first time in various stages of fruiting- yellow fly agaric?

That's a nice one! There are tonnes of red fly agarics around here just now, and I've spotted a few brown ones (Amanita regalis) as well. Shame they're such a hassle to prepare because you could pick them by the kilo if you wanted.

I went on a mushroom hike organised by the local foraging club last week and learned several new species I can pick! Got an absolutely huge Boletus pinophilus, which is a new one for me, pretty tasty. And I finally found (and had the experts on hand check for me) a batch of funnel chanterelles, Cantharellus tubaeformis. They're supposedly pretty common in this area but I can never find any. Plus a bunch of regular chanterelles, various Lactarius, and a good-sized Leccinum versipelle. Apart from getting help identifying edible shrooms, it was really fun to have some experts around to point out generally interesting fungi and tell you about them. If you have something similar in the area I highly recommend it.

I was also recently in Svalbard, where I missed going on a mushroom hike because I was working. But I did look at lots of weird shrooms that you don't find on the mainland, of which the only confirmed edible ones I got were puffballs. The local delicacy is Lepista multiforme, which I think I found, but there are so many similar, little brown mushrooms that I didn't want to risk it. The guidebook said there are no known deadly mushrooms on the archipelago, but there are a lot of species that have no edibility information because with such a small population no-one has actually tried eating one (and written about it).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My partner had a successful dog walk and found one of the mushrooms we learned about on the hike the other day: Gomphidius glutinosus. Unfortunately most of them were wormy, but they look pretty cool with the yellow stipe base. Pretty excited to try this one, it's meant to be quite mild but a good accompaniment to seafood. Has an interesting slimy skin on the cap that you have to peel off before eating.

Also two good boxes of funnel chanterelles, Cantharellus tubaeformis.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Yellowfeet are good eating, have a batch in the drier as I write. The finnish mushroom season has beenvery strange because of the bone dry summer we had. The golden chanterelles that popped up very late in the season were nice and firm, but we found practically no boletes. On the plus side, we did find our first batch of Craterellus cornucopioides (loving impossible to spot even if you know a place) and an area with tens and tens of pounds of Albatrellus ovinus. Also decided to spread out into Russulas, since they're a pretty easy genus to identify and should all be safe around here.

I really want to try C. cornucopiodes, but as you say they're pretty hard to spot. It's been a decent mushroom season in mid-Norway, plenty of wet weather and it seems like everywhere you look you find Lactarius and chanterelles. Most of the boletes are wormy though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Found my first technically edible mushrooms of the year!

Gyromitra esculenta, sandmorkel in Norwegian. It is an extremely toxic false morel that can prepared for consumption through repeated parboiling, although small amounts of toxic and possible carcinogenic compounds remain. I left them undisturbed, but it was still cool to find them because I've never seen them here before.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You'd think so, right? I usually find a tonne of A. muscaria later in the season and they're supposedly edible (without the deliriant effect) with multiple parboiling too. Could easily pick them by the kilo but it really doesn't sound worth the effort to me, how much tastier than all the other mushrooms that you can just fry and eat can they really be?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

elise the great posted:

I’ve parboiled and eaten amanita muscaria and they were pretty good, but idk if they were really worth all the effort of preparation. And this is coming from someone with a salt jar of saffron caps on their countertop.

I also found, and picked, g. esculenta this weekend. They smelled great in the field, and I thought I might try processing them. Then they warmed up in the car and holy poo poo they REEKED of jet fuel (I think technically rocket fuel but I haven’t smelled that before). I ended up tossing them. Was really tempted to try setting them on fire though— I might do some combustion experiments if I find more of them (and you know I will).

I’m a pretty adventurous mycophagist myself, but I think g. esculenta is off my plate.

Sounds like I didn't miss out on too much, then. Maybe I'll give the fly agarics a go this season, just for the novelty. How are the saffron caps in brine - I guess that's what you mean with the salt jar? We get a lot of milkcaps around here and I love them fresh, but I feel like they don't dehydrate as well as something like B. edulis. I haven't tried brining or fermenting them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
No good pics at the moment but it's turning into a decent season for chanterelles and milkcaps here in Norway. Seems like all the boletes are super worm-eaten or rotten though, been pretty warm and rainy of late so maybe that has something to do with it. I stumbled over a big patch of sheep polypores on a recent walk that someone had wrecked apparently by kicking them to pieces, it was very sad.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Found some cool fungus while walking the dog yesterday. Not a great photo, but I think it is Hydnellum peckii, which I haven't seen in Norway before. They were growing among some pine trees.

They aren't edible but according to Wikipedia can be used in a dye.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Hooplah posted:

Spent a long weekend in northern WI, got out on a very productive shroom hunt. it had been raining for days and stuff was popping everywhere
there's some i'm not sure of, feel free to give an id if you know it

it was around here i started getting excited and stopped taking pictures

this is the next day after harvesting, hence the bruising. pretty certain these are aspen boletes, but they have quite a bit of variability in top color. normal? also the oddball up top, which felt really light and has a yellowish stipe and pores with no scabers. no bruising blue though. can't decide if i want to toss it, as everything i read says boletes are all fine to eat if they don't bruise blue, have red pores, or taste bitter. (also a pheasantback snuck into the shot)

Nice haul! If the mystery boletes were growing near me (Norway) I'd ID them as Leccinum versipelle (orange birch bolete), since we don't have aspen boletes here
and the stipe scales are a distinctive marker. But obviously your local species are different - if you remember what type of trees they were growing under that might be a clue.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guido Merkens posted:

I just checked out my first copy of the PSMS newsletter and saw this, which I thought was rad and I’d paste here. My wife and I are going to Union Creek in late October, it would be so neat to find these although I can’t see us working our way down the river.

That's really cool, I knew there were a lot of aquatic fungi but I'd never heard of actual underwater mushrooms!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pondex posted:

There was also a patch of some kind of Lactarius that I couldn't figure out. L. Quietus maybe, but the seemed too orange for that. This is in Denmark.

All Lactarius are mycorrhizal so nearby trees can help with ID. I don't see any oak leaves so probably not L. quietus. Did you observe the milk change colour or stain the mushroom?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Looking at the Norwegian mushroom lists, maybe "duftriske", L. camphoratus? Seems to grow with a variety of trees and while some photos have much lighter gills others look quite similar to yours. I have to admit I'm just guessing, I'm not personally familiar with that species.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
NSNF runs a really great app where you can upload mushroom photos and trained experts will ID them for you for free. Maybe it works in Denmark too? https://soppkontroll.no/

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

elise the great posted:

The WORST chanterelle season here in WA. Went out with a goon buddy over the weekend and found a few, but I’m not holding out hope for more.

Maybe next year…

Been a weird season here, the first few weeks seemed good for mushrooms and then we had ages of barely anything. Now suddenly in November we've been finding loads of huge chanterelles - usually the real deal are long gone by now and if you're lucky you'll find some funnel chanterelles. It's been pretty warm though, meant to finally cool down a bit to more usual temperatures this week so that could be the end of the season.

e:

That was from an evening dog walk a couple weeks back, wasn't even looking for any mushrooms.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 15, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My partner found some morels but unfortunately they were G. esculenta rather than M. esculenta and we're not brave or Finnish enough to eat them. Otherwise nothing yet this season.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I think the usual ID point is that true morels are entirely hollow while false ones have some stuff inside the "brain", but honestly I just felt suspicious looking at these and had them checked by a volunteer-run mushroom safety service who confirmed they were the bad* type.

*Of course they are considered a great delicacy in some places but I'm not really interested in mushrooms you have to repeatedly parboil to make mostly edible.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I still haven't seen a true morel in the flesh :(. Allegedly they grow in these parts but if anyone knows where they aren't saying.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 7, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That's a spicy one there. Still no mushrooms in my part of the world, I expect the season is going to kick off exactly when I go on holiday :(

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've been on holiday, where I got a fair number of nice chanterelles, but now I'm back in Norway and mushroom season is in full swing.

My partner got a great haul of chanterelles the other day.

Out walking the dog I picked up a few Lactarius deliciosus (not pictured) and a cute little Gomphidius glutinosus. I only ever seem to find one of these at a time.

Also some more mysterious shrooms: I'm not going to eat these but ID help would be appreciated! These are possibly Lactarius, with a small amount of whitish-clearish milk when cut and a hollow, somewhat crumbly stipe. But I can't figure out what species they would be.

Also can't find a good candidate for these: abundant white milk, but also lots of purple staining after picking.

I forget what sort of trees they were under, but probably spruce or pine.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cool photos! I'm sad that the mushroom season is pretty much over here, everything is dead and dried out but the snow hasn't shown up yet.