Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I've got a bunch of different types of mushrooms growing in my backyard in coastal NC. Obviously I'm gonna eat at least one of them, which will poison me the least??

Or

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

the yeti posted:

What kinda trees is that second one growing near?
Wish I could say, but it might require some sort of Tree Megathread. I also don't remember exactly where I saw that one, but if it was where I think, and I've googled trees properly, I'm gonna say it was under a sweet gum tree. The leaves seem like a match, and I definitely have spiky little balls all over my yard.

The other possible spot would have been under this guy, which I can't id.

Edit: also, yeah, I don't actually plan on eating any of these, I promise. I like mushrooms, but not enough to roll the dice.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Cool, thanks for the info!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Dik Hz posted:

For the bolete, press your thumb into the underside of the cap. If it bruises blue it’s probably not any good. If it doesn’t bruise or only slightly bruised, lick it. If it’s really bitter it’s not poisonous but not palatable.

If it’s not bitter, it’s probably really tasty.

Also that tree is a willow oak, for the record. Sweet gums have different leaves. Efb
If another bolete grows, I'll give it a shot. To clarify, there are multiple species of trees in my yard, the sweetgums weren't pictured. I've also got water oak, crepe myrtle, and Bradford pear (I know, I know). Previous owner was apparently super into trees.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Got a couple found in NC, curious if anyone can tentatively id - I know seeing the undersides is helpful for id, but I'm not looking to eat these, so wild guesses are fine by me.

Also, I apparently deleted the photos, but we had a willow tree die this spring, and I wasn't sure why. As of a week ago, the base of the trunk and the above ground roots are absolutely covered in what I think are honey mushrooms. Not sure whether the cause and effect is "dead tree causes mushrooms" or "mushrooms cause dead tree".

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The French Army posted:

They are certainly boletes. Where did you find them, with what trees? Did they stain blue when you bruised the flesh?
In a state park (Carolina Beach, NC) that is largely Longleaf Pine trees, but I'd be lying if I said I checked what type of tree these specifically were growing under. I just snapped the picture real quick because I thought the profile of the cap was so interesting - It looks like a clamshell. Being a state park, I just let them be, didn't try bruising them, or getting a photo of the underside.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

the yeti posted:

You could try narrowing down an ID based on the photo and what you recall here: https://boletes.wpamushroomclub.org/
Holy poo poo, that's a lot of species of boletes. If I was making them, I'd have stopped at like, 6 or 7. That seems like enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Why's that dirt got teeth?