Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Is this where I goon out about my increasingly all-consuming new hobby?

I found some brown shaggy parasol yesterday! ID process and pics behind the link.

https://imgur.com/gallery/MQVgwCU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I’ve read that you’re supposed to pull the slimy layer off the cap to reduce GI impact, as it’s very common for that part to cause diarrhea.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Speaking of boiling and discarding the water, any of y’all eat amanita muscaria? It’s a constant topic of debate in all my mushie groups— some folks feel like their ease of positive ID + clear process for safe prep make them an ideal beginner’s pick, while others insist that you can mess up the boiling process too easily.

I live in the PNW so I just haven’t bothered to eat anything besides chants, morels, oysters, and shaggy parasols myself

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I’m kinda in the middle myself— amanita is pretty easy to identify in a basket of pretty much anything else, and if you DO eat it without prepping it right, you aren’t gonna die or suffer major organ damage, just poo poo a lot and hallucinate. It’s a bad time but a good lesson.

That said, I’ve drifted closer to the opposite school of thought as I’ve seen the dumb fuckin questions people ask in those groups. Endless blurry brown yard mushrooms with the caption ARE THESE MORELS

elise the great
May 1, 2012

There’s a spot near me with the hugest russula brevipes population I’ve ever seen, I wish I could infect it with lobster somehow. As it is I’m seriously considering eating the fuckers as-is, if I can find some that aren’t more worm than mushroom. What kinds of russies y’all grow over there?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

If it helps, lobster is endemic here, I wouldn’t be introducing it to a foreign environment. I’ve been watching the spot for a few years in hopes that it will convert, like a couple of other spots I’ve haunted. Probably a terrible idea, but a girl can dream!

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I crawled over half the Port Gamble trails Sunday on a tip from a friend and found nothing but a hornet nest ouch. That said, I was hiking with a grouchy toddler and a mushroom-indifferent ex, and nursing an injured leg, so I wasn’t able to really get up under the salal like I wanted to.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

UnSmith posted:

I can confirm that I've found chants and yellowfoots there as recently as last year. I was a little late, so will probably make another visit in prime season this year. Speaking of salal, I didn't find crap in Banner Forest on Saturday, but I did come away with bunches of berries. So, score.

Are chants still poppin on the high back hill behind the cut? Or are they all in the old woods?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Hmm, I found a great spot that made all my chant alarms go off, but I didn’t even find buttons. Guess I’ll keep poking it!

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Nope, wrong stipes and gills and they appear to be growing on dirt!

elise the great
May 1, 2012

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I loving love these types of chantarelles. They pop up through most of the winter in Washington and keep me going outside long after fall chant season has passed. They make amazing pate...

Also I need to get off my rear end and post some pics. We had the GREATEST HAUL of golden chantarelles last weekend after going out with the puget sound mycology society. Got another field trip coming up this weekend too, so we'll have to figure out what to do with the next 5 lbs we find..

Yooo at Truman Glick? I was at that PSMS meetup and my group only found like one or two per person! We also got lost.

I am big mad because I haven’t actually found any yellowfoots yet and my only big haul has been a bucket of whites from out near Sol Duc. My only decent patch turned up NOTHING this year.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I’ll be at the next PSMS field trip this Saturday, if any goons happen to be in the area

elise the great
May 1, 2012

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Yes! That very one! We went out with the president (in purple, don't remember his name), and we went up to about 1500 feet and....poo poo. All the chants. If you're going to be at the meeting tomorrow morning (10/2), my lady and I will be there. I'll be in a blue REI rain coat and we'll have matching shoulder creels.

Oh poo poo, that’s awesome! We went uhhhh to the other end of the park itself and found fuckall, really hoping I’m in a lucky group this time. I’ll be there tomorrow for sure, in a blue jacket and a brown high messy bun. Say hi!

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I’ve parboiled and eaten amanita muscaria and they were pretty good, but idk if they were really worth all the effort of preparation. And this is coming from someone with a salt jar of saffron caps on their countertop.

I also found, and picked, g. esculenta this weekend. They smelled great in the field, and I thought I might try processing them. Then they warmed up in the car and holy poo poo they REEKED of jet fuel (I think technically rocket fuel but I haven’t smelled that before). I ended up tossing them. Was really tempted to try setting them on fire though— I might do some combustion experiments if I find more of them (and you know I will).

I’m a pretty adventurous mycophagist myself, but I think g. esculenta is off my plate.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Hi yes hello I am here. There are pleurotus out in HORDES on Rattlesnake Mountain, on the basic Rattlesnake Mountain Trail, which has some elevation and mosquitoes but is compatible with a baby carrier. If you feel intrepid and want to follow all the right turns when you meet the logging road, you might find cedar-eating chicken of the woods (I’ve eaten it, strong cedar flavor and more woody at the core, no GI distress).

At Tradition Lake, a very gentle and peaceful stroll off High Point, I’ve found Zellers, pleurotus, tiny puffballs, and many many kickable russula brevipes, all in autumn.

And I’ve found shaggy manes, chlorophyllum brunneum (shaggy parasols), and chickens around the city proper, mostly Capitol Hill and Eastlake so far.

In fall, I hear Lake Kachess has chanterelles, but it’s a ways out, maybe 50 min out of Seattle.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I got some lions manes. How would you prep for pizza?

Depends on what I want them to do on pizza. Im a huge fan of sweating hericium in a skillet to get some of the water out before use (and if you get a lot, that broth is amaaaazing in soup). They tolerate this well and it really brings out the seafood texture— this is how I prep for “crab cakes.”

However if you’re looking for something juicy you could slice it thinly and just shingle it on the pizza, but use very high heat to ensure that it cooks, as some hericiae are GI irritants if undercooked.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I’ve done both with little difference between the two outcomes, but for pizza it’s probably good to add just a little oil. They shed water pretty readily without oil tho.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

No worries on the morels, I got to pick the Schneider burn this year too! I had a couple first timers with me and was recovering from covid, so I ended up with only about five pounds, which is still an absolutely bonkers volume of morels and I ended up having to find a dehydrator on Buy Nothing.

Now they’re saying chants are popping near Port Gamble already, just little crusty buttons so far, but I’m READY for this year to pop off. Really wanna find some matsutake this year too, and follow up on grisettes I found last year near Mailbox but didn’t eat because it was my first time finding them. And I hear the forest roads are out of snow in Hyak…

elise the great
May 1, 2012

First one is probably a russula brevipes, nontoxic but bug-riddled and taste like poo poo. However the russula family is a massive one and full of absolute crap.

That second one has my attention. Reticulation like that on the stipe is associated with some of the tastiest boletus species. See if you can get a positive ID on that one for sure and then try to recall where you found it, bc if it’s a tasty sumbitch you’re going to treasure that spot in the future.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Nah, not bad but not particularly edible, coprinus type (probably ink parasols). Means your soil is really healthy and has a high content of compost/nitrogen/phosphorus. If these are growing don’t fertilize anytime soon, they’re a very good sign of plentiful soil nutrition.

If you have kids (or mushroom nerds) around, it’s fun to watch them turn into ink to release their spores.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I found a bunch of chicken:

It made a pretty drat good dinner with some homemade pasta and garden herbs:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Found a dyers polypore the size of my ribcage today. Also 19363184902 chicken of the woods logs, all well past eating prime.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

Any idea what this is? My best guess is an old hericium abietis but I'm very dubious

I'm in the PNW and I have no intention of ingesting it either way so don't worry that you might kill me

I found some of those recently, very juvenile, and thought they might be a sparassis or hericium too. Turns out they’re Pycnoporellus alboluteus and they are SUPER cool looking at full maturity.

The ones I found:

The mature examples I found online:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Picking mushrooms and carrying them in mesh bags actively increases spore spread. Matsutake are in trouble because of climate change, not because people are picking their fruits.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

The WORST chanterelle season here in WA. Went out with a goon buddy over the weekend and found a few, but I’m not holding out hope for more.

Maybe next year…

elise the great
May 1, 2012

It’s some chemical compound and it is NOT pleasant. We have some red/pink choice russulae in the states but you gotta nibble test them to rule out bitterness or MOUTH BURN AAAA. The spicy flavor isn’t tasty either, just foul and hot.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Mica caps! 😍😍

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Porcinis and their close relative, spring kings, absolutely grow in the PNW. Never as explosively as in Eastern Europe, but enough that you can absolutely hunt them at high altitudes— my mushroom groups are already showing them at 4k ft in Oregon.

We do have a LOT of mushroom munchin bugs though. You gotta hunt the shrumps because by the time you actually see one, it’s more beetle than bolete.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Noble fir mostly, although noble often grows interspersed with Douglas fir (not a true fir) and Sitka spruce here so it’s hard to tell exactly.

I found a tiny porcini last year at about 3.8k ft under noble and sitka near a low alpine lake in early August. It was higher than I usually look that time of year, since I typically hunt chants in the fall and not much in the summer, but I’ll be hunting there again this year.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

GCU Quelle Suprise posted:

Found in NY attached to (sigh...a tree) sorry nerds, thought it was chicken of the woods while I was out but it is nothing like that. I won't eat it but am still curious about what it is. My bet is a non-edible chanterelle look alike (to a novice fungi-dummy)

Compare to golden oysters, an edible variety! Go ahead and get a positive ID on them, but you may have found a delicious dinner!

elise the great
May 1, 2012

PNW mushroom nerds should know that button chants are already up near Port Gamble and lobsters are already on north-facing slopes in NW WA at around 350’.

Get on out there, folks.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

My little guy found his first morel last year, and I’ve never been so proud

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Oh hell yes I’m getting that sixer. Hopefully tomorrow Kitsap County will yield the first chants of my hunting year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Seriously look up black staining polypore, if that’s what it is you’re in for a treat. Very edible and makes amazing mushroom broth for soups.

The bad news is that if you have robust polypores growing outta your trees and their roots, your trees are hosed. Definitely contact an arborist, sooner rather than later.