Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Hi, I saw this in California by either a large oak or pine tree.

Didn't want to try to cut it or mess with it too much in case it was full of eggs, and it was stuck to the stick pretty good—I picked the stick up to put over the rock for better contrast. Seems like the stick wouldn't be enough to support a fruiting body of that size, but maybe it fell off after getting heavy, and this seems like the right place to ask. Is this something that can come out of a twig if a saprophyte (endophyte?) was snaking out through the whole branch?

Fake edit: I looked up the right keywords before posting, and it is probably an "oak gall," which is like a hack that wasps use to get the tree to grow a tumor for its larvae to live in. I figure it fits here because it can catch your eye like a mushroom, and is worthy of caution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Went to Natural Bridges park in Santa Cruz, on the Monarch butterfly trail yesterday. No monarchs in sight (cloudy day and too cold for them to fly) but I did catch a few inedible mushrooms!

Full album: https://imgur.com/gallery/HFxQvlW

Either False Chanterelle or Jack o' Lantern ☣️

I'll post spore prints in a follow-up

Ink Caps

Likely clitocybe flaccida

Hygrocybe?

No shortage of hemlock

Miner's Lettuce among the ivy

Bloomin' Ivy (the butterflies drink the nectar)

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Here's the spores

The clitocybe dried up overnight so the spore print is bigger than the cap, lol

Without the cap:

Orange boi

I also took spores of the inkcap but it was like a third of the cap and you can't really see it