Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ladies and gentlemen of the mushroom thread, can you please help me identify this clump? It is ~ 18" in diameter. It's been in the backyard for over a week now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

the yeti posted:

It looks like black staining polypore, Meripilus sumstinei, but a general location and what kinds of trees if any it’s nearby would help.

Interesting that you should ask that. It grew in the shadow of a Leyland Cypress, one of a row of them. Location: I'm in Salisbury, Maryland.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

the yeti posted:

I stand by my ID then but it is unusual to find that species by a conifer. Do you know if those were planted where another tree once stood, maybe to replace an older one that fell?

In any case if you want to be a mushroom detective you could try two things: first, take a spore print by cutting off a piece towards the outside and placing it right side up on a piece of white paper and covering it with a bowl overnight; if it drops any spores on the paper the color there is an ID data point.

Second, this species should stain black on the underside within 5 or 10 minutes if you bruise or scratch it.

I did not expect this fungus to last so long. Anyway, I went out to do that just now and there are 3 more growing under nearby cypresses as well. They look a little different, more bulbous and more colorful.

Top is the slice from the piece we have discussed, and bottom is from one of the new ones. You can see some difference. And the top one is not showing any discoloration after bruising for a few minutes. Maybe it's old?

Are these healthy to have around my cypresses?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

HOLY TOLEDO HUMONGOUS FUNGUS

I should have placed something next to them for size comparison, they have gotten really big (at least 20" across.) Now if they are damaging my cypresses, is there anything I can or should do about them? I lost two cypresses already in that row and am unclear as to why. But that was the other end of the row and I have no idea if fungi were involved. Any suggestions?

Check out these bad boys.

And should I eat these?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

elise the great posted:

Seriously look up black staining polypore, if that’s what it is you’re in for a treat. Very edible and makes amazing mushroom broth for soups.

The bad news is that if you have robust polypores growing outta your trees and their roots, your trees are hosed. Definitely contact an arborist, sooner rather than later.

Oh, I'm seriously lookin'. Every web site I've been to has said that my cypresses are most likely goners, I dunno. I may try to eat them though.