Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Nothing as impressive as that, but the boletes are popping up in the back of our property.

Found a handful of these.

There are a bunch of these out there, Suillus acidus, I believe.

nadmonk fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

the yeti posted:

You love to see it. That top one looks like a birch bolete, bottom is definitely some kind of Suillus.

That was my thought for the top one. I'll probably go and harvest some of the Suillus today. There were better looking ones out there, but I didn't want to take the pretty ones for an ID :)

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Tias posted:

The top one likely the artist formerly known as brown birch bolete / Leccinum scabrum, now renamed "scaber stalks / scabrous stalks" in most of europe, yeah. You can tell it's not aspen scaber stalk instead because the scabs on the stalk are black and not white :eng101:

(e: and checking a nearby host species would remove all doubt, birches for the first and aspens for the second)

Thanks for the info on that. Funnily, the closest birch trees are probably 50+ m away. These were on a hill with a poplar (aspen) stand on it. A few other hardwood, mostly sugar maple with a few younger oak trees, but aside from the poplars, mostly pine trees.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Saturday we spotted a whole group of these growing in a large, partial circle. This was in a red pine stand in northern Michigan. The largest/oldest we saw were probably close to 10-12 inches across. Those were a kind of mangled as they popped up under a pile of branches.
My hunch was Entoloma abortivum aka aborted entoloma aka shrimp of the woods, but was hoping someone might verify.
Flat capped, white, very pleasant and mushroomy smell, white flesh, cap, and gills. Some of them were that very irregular 'brainy' looking shape.

The indoor pics are the same mushroom, they just show the color better.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The French Army posted:

I think you have either a giant clitocybe or a robusta. The smell makes me think it's the giant, robustas smell bad. I found a few myself yesterday.

The gills don't see to run down quite far enough to be the giant clitocybe. I was thinking potentially also milk-white brittlecap. I'm getting a spore print now.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The French Army posted:

I think you have either a giant clitocybe or a robusta. The smell makes me think it's the giant, robustas smell bad. I found a few myself yesterday.

Ok, got a bit of a spore print. Sadly, no dark paper, There is some staining from where the moisture of the mushroom got on the paper, but it looks like the spore print is pale tan. Or that's just color that seeped from the moisture and the print is actually white.

If I can find some dark paper and some more, I might try another print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

nadmonk posted:

Ok, got a bit of a spore print. Sadly, no dark paper, There is some staining from where the moisture of the mushroom got on the paper, but it looks like the spore print is pale tan. Or that's just color that seeped from the moisture and the print is actually white.

If I can find some dark paper and some more, I might try another print.

I think these are Cloud Funnel Cap (Clitocybe nebularis)