Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

silicone thrills posted:

Shaggy parasol I think, growing out of the edge of my driveway!

Seen tons of slippery Jack's around my yard but never one of these fellas

Shaggy mane, Coprinus comatus. Super tasty imo. They will turn to goo rapidly after picking though, so cook them promptly. Parasols are Chlorophyllum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Maybe Gymnopilus of some sort?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Welp this season sucked because of HOW MUCH rain we got and now the snow in the PNW has royally ended pretty much all the mushrooming for the year. I'm still going to try my luck with some Yellowfoots though, maybe in a couple of weeks when things are just normal and rainy and not stupidly snowy and/or stupidly rainy...

Should still be able to find hedgehogs too, they don't mind the cold nastiness.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

You usually have to drill holes and pound in dowels that have been inoculated with the right type of fungus. Then if it's not a type native to your area you gotta keep the logs moist during the hot season...

Only time will tell for my 8 ice storm shiitake logs from last spring, worried that I didn't keep em wet enough over our 115 degree days last summer.

Wine caps are super easy to grow in wood chips but they are kinda slimy texturally.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I just found a decent load of winter chanterelles and hedgehogs yesterday in the mountains east of Eugene. Definitely too early for morels up in the hills. The first ones we get here in western Oregon are in the valley riparian areas associated with big cottonwoods.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Wild guess, maybe a birds nest fungus that hasn't opened up yet?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I mean pretty much every mushroom will come back in the same spot when the right conditions are met. The bulk of the organism lives in whatever material its consuming. As long as the mycelium has stuff to eat it should keep fruiting in the future.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Tias posted:

Congratulations! Have a firm but friendly reminder that matsutakes rate as "vulnerable" on the international redlist, so consider leaving some or all of them there, though.

Leaving mushrooms to rot in the forest probably won't do a heck of alot to boost numbers as long as you aren't damaging the mycelium when you harvest. Habitat loss is probably the main culprit.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Good day out in the central oregon cascades.

A good chunk of them will be going into 2 batches of this stuffing (dressing). Made it several times now and it always turns out amazing.

https://whatsgabycooking.com/wild-mushroom-stuffing/

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Yeah I nibble test all the russulas too, they all checked out as mild tasting. They're color can be so variable I don't trust any of them. Was surprised that the bright red one wasn't spicy but here we are.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I see folks in ID groups saying the peppery ones are edible too with the right preparation, I guess pickling or parboiling takes care of it but I'm not that motivated.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Looking like a russula. We mostly get them around fall here in the pnw but shrooms be mysterious

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Or cook them less. Porcini can be eaten raw. Thin slices with a drizzle of olive oil are pretty tasty. Not all boletes are created equal though, some aren't all that good.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Hardwood and it's easy as heck. I don't remember what amount of chips i put them in but it was a good amount and they ate through it quick! Like 1.5 seasons. Not my favorite shroom though (texture-wise) so I didn't replenish the chips.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Uh oh, I was just watering the shiitake logs so they wouldn't dry out... didn't expect this in the middle of summer. Biggest flush yet, 3 yr old logs I think? I have terrible memory for time.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Kinda looks like Phaeolus schweinitzii, not great news for the trees but also not much you can do about it. Removing the fruiting bodies wont do a thing about the mycelium messing with the tree.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Definitely look like Coprinus comatus to me. Cook em up before they turn to goo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Common names are funny. Are your slippery jacks not in Suillus? That's what I call any Suillus, even the dry ones.

Also, any of you people bother eating them?