Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
Can I submit a jelly fungus? So far this is my favorite discovery on my mushrooming hunts. Smelled delightful, a bright flowery scent. This was around Salt Point, CA in late January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

I ran into a few red cage stinkhorns today in Oakland. Nice and pungent!

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

graham cracker posted:

Hi mushroom thread! Can anyone help me identify thing thing growing in my garden?

Google Lens is generally pretty good at ID’ing mushrooms. I tried it with this unidentifiable object in your garden, and it has concluded that it is a turtle. You’re growing turtles.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

Snowy posted:

Picture Mushroom

I’ve been looking for something like this for years, thank you for mentioning it. I’ve been testing it out on a few in my camera roll and it’s surprisingly accurate.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

I’ve never seen this type of coral, it’s beautiful! Looks like it has antlers.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

Those slimy green and gold mushrooms are beautiful.

Those puffballs reminded me of an Annulohypoxylon thouarsianum I found in Salt Point SP recently, as well as a this bisected polypore I found in Lassen NP (it was already cut open when I found it, thought it was cool to see the pore tubes in section).

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

I had a productive visit to south central Oregon over the weekend. We ended up taking home a dozen big fat white chantrelles and four huge Matsutakes. I’ve been trying to hone my skills at finding porcinis, and we did find a few fat boletes but most were already rotting or I just couldn’t ID them well enough to feel good about eating them.

White Chantrelle

Unknown bolete

This has been a head scratcher. I think it is Smith’s Amanita. The cap was very textured, but I couldn’t see the veil remnant on the stalk I would have expected to see.

Matsutake. I grilled this one last night and it was amazing. The rest is going to be grilled and added to ramen. Best mushroom.

Scaly Chanterelle

Zeller’s Bolete??

Cracked Bolete

Western Painted Suillis

No idea. Love this one, can’t ID it. Anyone? Lepiota americana, maybe?

Russula brevipes I believe. This was very large, maybe 10-12 inches in diameter.

Stinking Dapperling

Blue Staining Suillis

Umber-Brown Puffball

Pholiota limonella

Aniseed Toadstool

Amethyst Deceiver

Questionable Stropharia

Boar’s Head

Dark Honey Fungus, Armillaria ostoyae

If anyone has a recommendation for cooking the chanterelles I’m all ears. So far we’ve done a pesto sauce, but I’m not sure what to try next.

Guido Merkens fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 10, 2020

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

Scarodactyl posted:

Still not seeing a lot of mushrooms here in central NC, but I did spot these guys

Decidedly unwelcome guests on my pear tree.

That’s one hell of a camera you’ve got. Jeez. Great photos

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Also I need to get off my rear end and post some pics. We had the GREATEST HAUL of golden chantarelles last weekend after going out with the puget sound mycology society.

Ohhhh I’ve been meaning to ask if anyone here is involved in something up there. My wife and I are members of the San Francisco Mycological Society and enjoy the forays they do, but next year we’re planning on moving to Seattle. Glad to hear they’re active and going on outings - we don’t know that area very well and would like to piggy back on some forays to learn the land.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

My wife and I have moved to Seattle and desperately want to go out looking for mushrooms but a) don’t know the areas well yet and b) have a small baby so we can’t exactly go on longer hikes. Anyone from this area know of some easy to get to locations where we might enjoy looking for mushrooms? I’m not asking for your secret chanterelle spots or anything, just wondering where a nice starting point might be.

We’re signing up to be members of the puget bay mycological group so I’m sure I’ll get some leads there, but always fun to ask a goon. Thanks!

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

elise the great posted:

Hi yes hello I am here. There are pleurotus out in HORDES on Rattlesnake Mountain, on the basic Rattlesnake Mountain Trail, which has some elevation and mosquitoes but is compatible with a baby carrier. If you feel intrepid and want to follow all the right turns when you meet the logging road, you might find cedar-eating chicken of the woods (I’ve eaten it, strong cedar flavor and more woody at the core, no GI distress).

At Tradition Lake, a very gentle and peaceful stroll off High Point, I’ve found Zellers, pleurotus, tiny puffballs, and many many kickable russula brevipes, all in autumn.

And I’ve found shaggy manes, chlorophyllum brunneum (shaggy parasols), and chickens around the city proper, mostly Capitol Hill and Eastlake so far.

In fall, I hear Lake Kachess has chanterelles, but it’s a ways out, maybe 50 min out of Seattle.

This is fantastic, thank you very much! We’ll start off around Capitol Hill and target Tradition Lake next. I’m super excited to get out and explore up here, good to have a couple I’d starting point ideas.

I like “kickable” as a side descriptor, that’s pretty good.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Also, hello fellow Seattle mushroom goon! If you sign up for the Mycology society and plan to make it to any fall outings, send me a PM. Me and my person are both training to be guides and will be multiple fall outings if we can make it happen. They can be a bit far out but they're generally really family friendly if you can make them. We're really hoping for a great fall chantarelle season this year.
Thank you for the offer! I haven’t looked on here in a bit, apologies for the late reply but once we sign up for something I’ll reach out.

I just checked out my first copy of the PSMS newsletter and saw this, which I thought was rad and I’d paste here. My wife and I are going to Union Creek in late October, it would be so neat to find these although I can’t see us working our way down the river.

quote:

RARE UNDERWATER MUSHROOMS IN THE ROGUE RIVER Zack Larsen, Aug. 26, 2022

ROGUE RIVER, Ore. - .Most people don’t think of mushrooms as growing underwater, but underwater mushrooms known as Psathyrella aquatica can be found here in the Rogue River valley of Oregon.

This isn’t a new discovery. In 2005, Southern Oregon University professor Robert Coffan, with help from other colleagues, found the mushrooms in the upper Rogue River between Prospect and Union Creek.

One of his colleagues, Darlene Southworth, who has studied these mushrooms for over a decade, said they typically grow from June to September every year. According to Southworth, they are extremely small; most are not bigger than a dime. She’s looked at many rivers in Oregon and other states for years, but there has yet to be another discovery of this fungus. “It seems unlikely that this is the only place,” Southworth said. “But at this point, this particular stretch of the Rogue River is the only in the known universe where these fungi occur.”

Southworth said there are currently around 24 mushrooms in the river this year. It’s unknown if the mushrooms are poisonous or not. But either way, they’re so small, it would be difficult to cook or eat them.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

Finally, some success in Rogue River Forest. We found a couple of matsutakes and a huge swath of white chanterelles. I took what we could reasonably eat in a couple of days but left probably 30 more in the ground. That was a fun find!

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

As my 20 month old daughter is finally mobilized and able to carry out basic assignments, we went on our first mini foray on Bainbridge last weekend. She found a ton of russalas and insisted on bringing every one of them home. She’s recently taken my copy of All That The Rain Promises, and More and made it a permanent part of her board book collection. She flips through it likes pointing at them saying “that!?”, so we brought the shrooms home, laid them all out on the coffee table, and did an identification sesh.

Truffle Pig Training has begun.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

Hooplah posted:

I just had my first baby last week and this post is making me feel things. Incredibly adorable and absolutely life goals

Congratulations! Don’t worry, you’ll sleep again someday.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

fibblins posted:

Hail mushroom friends, a certain goon made me aware of this thread, and I felt inspired to go see what's been growing here in the hardwood forests of Connecticut following a week of intermittent thunderstorms. It seemed I was a little late to the game as the bugs had beaten me to most specimens I came across, however I got some nice pictures and good eats out of the trip! Here's a few pictures from the afternoon.

I hear black trumpets are delicious, but I wasn't sure about this one as I hadn't studied or foraged for them before, so I left it alone.

I’m excited to see so much variety in dead rear end August, wow. I’d have risked it all on that one that looks like a black trumpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

j.peeba posted:

Went for a walk in the woods in order to find a cave that I read about online. Stumbled upon a lot of mushrooms on the way, most notably a batch of verdigris agaric. Insane colors and gloss!

This is the content I’m here for. I love this so much.