Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
Morels are just starting to pop here in Tacoma WA. Found about a dozen babies in a city park:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It's yard shroom season in Seattle.

Yes it is!

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
Spent a good portion of the weekend foraging around Tacoma. Honey mushrooms are done for the year, but tons of other stuff is popping up (sorry about the stupidly large vertical pics):

Hericium corraloides - edible but the ones I find are usually very dirty and hard to clean (growing on rotten logs on the ground), so I leave them where I find them.

A bolete that's fallen victim to hypomyces chrysospermus, a fungal parasite commonly called 'the bolete killer'. A lot of the boletes I find around Tacoma are infected with this. It's related to hypomyces lactifluorum, a parasitic fungus that attacks specific species mushrooms and turns them into the lobster mushroom, which is edible and delicious.

Amanita pachycolea, the western grisette. This is in the same family as many of the really deadly mushrooms, but is edible. They get decently large, maybe 5 inches across.

Ramaria species. Many are edible but I usually don't bother harvesting in the hopes that someone else will notice and appreciate their coralness.

Enough for everyone!

These were my main target when I went out yesterday - russula xerampelina, the shrimp russula. They have a noticeable 'shellfishy' smell and keep most of their crunchy texture when you cook them up. One of my favorites.

Siamang fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 14, 2019

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
^^^ Beautiful, I like the third one a lot. ^^^

Bi-la kaifa posted:

My SO says the candy caps smell like cat poo poo, so either Paul Stamets lied or I've misidentified. I'd call it a distinct odour, kinda sweet but also not pleasant. I certainly wouldn't want to bake with them.

Those were probably Lactarius subflammeus. I found a bunch in Washington this year, got excited because I thought they might be candy caps, but then tasted them and realized that the latex had a little bit of an acrid taste (and also didn't have any of the unusual scents that are associated with l. fragilis).

There's a park in my city that gets salmon spawning upstream during the first couple of weeks in December:

https://www.metroparkstacoma.org/event/salmon-saturday/

Last year I went and managed to collect a lot of sarcomyxa serotina (winter oyster), hoping to do the same this year while watching giant fish swim in knee-deep water.

Siamang fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 2, 2019

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

These are ringless honeys, right? Armillaria tabescens?

Yeah. These will be popping up all over your region this time of year.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

eSporks posted:

A few resources have led to honey mushrooms, but it doesn't seem right at all.
Found under a willow, near a decaying log, but the mushrooms were sprouting out of the ground.

Those definitely look like the armillaria gallica I find. They can often grow directly out of the ground, usually from old rotting roots or buried stumps.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Anyone finding morels yet?

I was at a city park yesterday (wasn't there to forage that day, though) and talked to a guy who said he found a tiny one on a burn pile and a couple of cut stumps along the trail that follows a creek, so it sounds like they're just starting to pop here in the PacNW (Tacoma).

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Saw this fella outside my house under a western red cedar. Looks like a Prince? Bigger than my hand. I'm in Seattle

Definitely not an agaricus augustus, gills are too light for a mature specimen, stem is too thin and the ring isn't right. More likely a shaggy parasol (Chlorophyllum rhacodes) or parasol (Macrolepiota procera). Could definitely also be a chlorophyllum molybdites. It might be a good exercise to pick the youngest one and take a spore print!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Xand_Man posted:

I don't know if this is the thread or if the TCC thread is the de facto cultivation thread but I've been growing oyster mushrooms from a kit in my basement. I threw some crumbled off sawdust from the first flush in a jar with some shredded cardboard as a project with my 4 year old. (5 in 10 months, he wishes to inform you)

Edit:Didn't realize pictures were so bad, it's white fuzzy hairs
Tough to tell from the pictures, but the first spot looks like it miiiight be and the second spot doesn't really look like contam. Trich starts off as not-hairy and very white, and cobweb mold looks hairy but darkens over a day or two. I'd leave the jar alone and see what happens. Take more pictures, too!