Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My first year foraging for morels. We had some pretty bad wildfires last summer. These were all harvested from a burn within eyesight of the car parked on an FSR just off a main highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Oooo which burn? The partner and I have struck out with morels the past 3 years or so, but this year we went out and tried the Schneider Fire burn and had amazing luck. We're probably ruined for morels because we'll never have that luck again, I suspect.

I don't know the name of the burn but it's near Merritt BC. There are tons of locals harvesting there so I don't think it's a secret.

This general area was shown to me by a local mushroom guy but not this specific spot. I think we got lucky, but at the same time I do think they are EVERYWHERE.

The real place to be lucky is having a burn in an area that is accessible by car, close to the highway, and close to where you live. Also be lucky that your house doesn't burn down the previous summer.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Here's a giant Lions mane that I grew from a kit.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Not the best condition when I found them but I picked two edible looking ones.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is it just me or does anyone else find it hard to use boletes in cooking? I just find they taste like mush without a strong mushroom flavour. Maybe I need to use more salt or cook them longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

1. Could this be anything other than COW? My friend ate some already and she said she is fine.

2. Is there anything that can be mistaken for COW and is also seriously poisonous? If it's similar and just not tasty that's not too concerning.