Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Thanks for posting this, I've been meaning to bug a mod to take my thread out of the archives but I don't even know if that can be done, either way I'm happy to have a mushroom thread. No good winter finds here but I've got pictures from last year I'll get around to uploading, my goal is to find anything in the genus hericium before 2018 is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

the yeti posted:

Here's some of my finds lately: https://imgur.com/a/RtIp1Ez
If y'all have questions feel free to link one of the images in and I'll tell you what I know.

The jackolantern. Chanterelle lookalike. Faintly bioluminescent. Rather poisonous.

Have you tested the bioluminescence on these? I found some last year and had to go in the darkest of closets at night time just to see a faint glow down the gills, I'd like to try it on some more fruiting bodies at different times of year since I'm sure like almost all contents of mushrooms the chemical is going to vary in each new fruiting body. The only issue is I haven't seen any since I got the idea last time.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Saw a few things walking in the woods today. Any suggestions on identification would be welcome.

First we’ve got some snails snackin’ on some ole funky white thing.

Just a guess but it reminds me of how chlorophyllum molybdites look when they get old, which are the #1 mushroom for hospital/ER visits in America last I checked

They're toxic and make people poo poo and throw up a lot, but I don't think they kill anybody almost ever. But because of how common they are, people being stupid, and they look like parasols or like a white shaggy parasol rather, people eat them.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I was up at Lake Luzerne, NY in the Adirondacks to do a fall mushroom foraging class this last weekend. I'm a beginner mushroom hunter and I'll be honest, I don't remember the names of everything we found, but here are some pictures.

I found this huge, young hericium and ate it.

That sounds like an amazing event, do you remember if that's hericium erinaceus? I've still never seen hericium in person but it looks more like 'lion's mane' than 'bear tooth'. Is the light brown color normal in young fruits? Normally it's the old, very cool either way.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Been a poo poo season so far and I haven't gotten out as much as I did last year but I wanted to thank everyone who shares pictures, it's a small thread here so I don't want to quote every picture and freeze young people's cell phones but they're great

Unrelated but I don't think we have an active foraging thread: Did anyone else get entirely hosed on nuts? Between last year being what I call a boon year, I don't know if I heard that somewhere or made it up, but a huge nut yield year, and all the floods these last few months the whole area was just hosed. I'm talking dozens of black walnuts in different parks, private property, opposite sides of town putting out like 0-5 nuts. Hickory yield was poo poo. Didn't see a butternut.

Oaks dropped tens of thousands of yellow and black bloated acorns, and early. Squirrels weren't even eating them. Just hoping to find a single hericium and get a doe and I'd be happy at this point.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

We had chanterelles here all summer when they're usually just around in June/July.

I mostly just collect stuff to propagate, but last year was a big year here for some stuff. Chinese chestnuts in particular were loaded, but they're pretty reliable, and the Shumart and other red oaks seemed to drop alot, but it was an off year for live oaks and white oaks. This year has been crazy for the live oaks and my yard is basically mulched in acorns. Looks like lots of hickories pretty loaded in the woods. Do you actually eat hickory nuts? I tried one once and it was pretty good, but I think the caloric expenditure to fiddle all the meat out of those stupid nuts would have to outweigh what you'd put into your body. Last big year for beech nuts I remember was 2016 (because I wanted to start some seeds-no luck there), but they don't seem to produce very often. My walnut doesn't seem to be doing much, but its definitely a big year for the pecans. The old-timers always say you get a big pine seed crop after an active hurricane season and we've definitely had a busy one, so we'll see if there's truth in that in the spring.

Hell yeah nut bud, and yes hickory nuts are probably my #1 nut, shagbark hickory, carya ovata I believe, if you can't get the method down quickly I'd honestly just hit them with a palm sized rock and then pick out the 1-2 chunks that aren't mashed and eat them on the spot (or do it for an hour and fill up a jar for cooking), you can also take all the shells that have some hickory nut mashed in them and pile them on a stump as bait for a squirrel hunt, legal in every state that I'm aware of, even the lovely ones that ban deer baiting

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

People's lawns are exploding in the Pacific Northwest right now. This is from an oak-lined street on my walk to work this morning.

:ducksiren:

Amanita muscaria is entirely unregulated federally and regulated in only a single state, meaning you can dry those caps and sell them over the internet if you feel like it, meaning you could also PM me if you find a few more preferably not so close to the road

extra stout fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 25, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Epitope posted:

Do: enjoy a shamanistic ritual nature has been gifting us for millennia. Decarboxylate first for less discomfort
Don't: commodify the fun guys and let capitalism corrupt this spiritual shard. Also selling drugs on the internet is dodgy regardless of legality. Mailing your internet friends gifts seems more ok, just my opinion.

You're not truly respecting the Siberian elders unless you get a reindeer to eat them first and drink the deer piss from a wooden bucket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rotten Cookies posted:

We get a huge fruiting of chicken of the woods every year, right at the base of a huge oak tree in front of my house. Well, the tree is gone, but the stump is still there. This year's harvest was truly tremendous. Got 20 lbs of harvest from it this year, with a lot left on the stump. Nearby neighbors also have some fruitings at the base of their trees. The 30 lbs was split with 3 of my friends, and we still have a few pounds in the freezer. It freezes pretty okay. I've been told I'm crazy for not trying to sell this, but :effort:

Helps to get at it while it's still kind of pale. The darker the yellow/orange coloring, the tougher the flesh, I've found. My favorite way is to cut them up into nugget sizes pieces, marinate in buffalo sauce for a bit, grill em up til they're crispy around the edges, and dip in the buffalo sauce while poppin' em in.

Edit: Here I am makin' crazy eyes, posing next to it for size reference. This is 2 weeks ago? after a harvest, you can see a section cut away. It goes back to the tree stump you see in the background

Still haven't tried these as popular as they are, nice looking harvest though. Why the buffalo sauce? Most of the choice mushrooms people just add a bit of fat to and try to let some of the mushroom flavor stick around. Still, it sounds good.

Bi-la kaifa: I'm not sure on the species but at that size it goes without saying I probably wouldn't risk it, still great photographs. Do we have anyone here harvesting nuts this week or last week? I want to make a thread but as usual I'm behind schedule and this subforum seems impossible to revive.