Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
I've been trying to find a chicken of the woods ever since I learned they existed. I had been looking in the woods when out mountain biking, but in hindsight, it seems more obvious that they would be located around town where people often trim their oaks.

While out grabbing breakfast yesterday, I spotted a huge cluster on an oak, but the yard is gated off (in the historic district, huge property, mega expensive homes). Couldn't exactly hop the fence to knock and ask.

I'm planning to use Halloween as an excuse to go by there this evening and see if they will let me climb up and harvest it. It's about the size of a soccer ball and looks fresh as hell. So excited.

*editing my boring snipe to add pics from recent excursions in the woods. Completely new to this, no idea what any of this is.

COOKIE DELIGHT fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
That's all helpful advice, appreciate that!

I've knocked twice but it was pretty obvious no one was home either attempt. It doesn't look as fresh at this point, but figure I might as well go try again today. I think I might leave a note just to give them a heads up that they have tree fungus in their big beautiful tree.

Looks small in the photo but this oak is an absolute monster. Had to zoom way in, so the quality is not that great.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
Quick hike in central Texas following a big storm yesterday morning. Found what I'm nearly certain is a COW growing from a tree root just at the soil line.

They are pretty unmistakable but will wait to try it until I receive confirmation.

This is my first one that I've harvested, definitely open to any tips on how to prepare or what not.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
Awesome, thanks for confirming! Very excited about this one.

There's a few spots that were against the ground that are very soft, and same on top where it bumped around in my fanny pack. I reckon I'll remove those, cut into strips then try the oven baked method.

It's my first time eating these, so I plan to start with one piece and make sure there are no adverse reactions.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
Hot drat that was a tasty mushroom, appreciate y'all's help.

Sliced it up and tossed it with oil and seasoning and baked it with some peppers in a hot cast iron at 400. Had it alongside sausage and lentils stew.

Had no idea what to expect but I'll definitely be out looking for more after each rain. I also discovered a local meat market has COWs and Lions Mane for sale and that will give me some practice with different cooking methods.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006

Hoping to confirm this is what I think it is, and ask for any tips for storing or usage.

Central TX near Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
Gotcha! Appreciate that. I was just about to edit my post to remove the assumption it was an edible toothed mushroom.

Might be a spongy toothed polypore? Totally novice guess.

Irpiciporus pachyodon?

COOKIE DELIGHT fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 15, 2023