Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Don't sleep on this, he's dropping a whole bunch of pre-cataclysm and betrayer God lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Keru posted:

Don't sleep on this, he's dropping a whole bunch of pre-cataclysm and betrayer God lore.
Yeah. Even if you've watched every single C1 and C2 episode, there's some good stuff in there.

Who else froze the last few frames to see if there was any C3 tidbits..?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Keru posted:

Some good new info here, and a few things that just help clarify timelines. Really nice summary for a sub-10 minute video.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm watching C1 and I cannot wait for them to animate Pike shooting a crit level 3 Guiding Bolt up Umbrasyl, the Hope Devourer's posterior.

The Chroma Conclave arc really hooked me, as someone who's bounced off of C1 before.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Cheston posted:

I'm watching C1 and I cannot wait for them to animate Pike shooting a crit level 3 Guiding Bolt up Umbrasyl, the Hope Devourer's posterior.

The Chroma Conclave arc really hooked me, as someone who's bounced off of C1 before.

C1 had really fun, solid arcs that fit right into the classic “D&D adventure” tropes. As basically everyone has said at this point, C2 is more nuanced in tone and character, but that can make it a slog sometimes (in my own personal opinion, of course).

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Nemo2342 posted:

From what I saw during C2, this thread is not at all active enough to support both a live watch thread and a discussion thread. Unless there is community drama we rarely have much to talk about other than the current episode, and most of that discussion tends to happen as the episode airs or shortly after it.

Bear in mind there will be people (like me) who avoid the thread entirely for weeks if they get behind for any reason until they have a chance to catch up. It definitely affected my posting in this thread (some might call that a plus :v:)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Mage_Boy posted:

Thri-Kreen are Dark Sun originally, but that is the other rumored set to come back as well. Doubt that would get a mention in Critical Role, but who knows if they get to do one-shots as pre-releases/promos for WotC going forward.

I don't think Dark Sun is ever going to come back because the setting essentially revolves around slavery. With BG3 coming out in the next four years I could easily see Spelljammer and Planescape though.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Nemo2342 posted:

From what I saw during C2, this thread is not at all active enough to support both a live watch thread and a discussion thread. Unless there is community drama we rarely have much to talk about other than the current episode, and most of that discussion tends to happen as the episode airs or shortly after it.

Yeah, wrestling is a decent example of something that has separate liveposting threads for 2-3 hour shows but it also has a volume of posts that can justify it. Even still, the main GDTs don't use spoiler tags except for leaks or other pre-taped VOD stuff, which I think is also the subforum rule for it here.

I agree it's not exactly ideal for people who fall behind but the other option is just turning the thread into a nonstop wall of black bars, and I can't imagine goons consistently using spoiler tags let alone using them properly and providing context for their spoilers. :v:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Dexo posted:

Like if I miss an episode I just don't go into the thread until I catch it. Because I think it's fair for people to be able to talk about it without having to constantly be clicking on spoilers or whatever.

This is personally where I fall.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I would love if WotC came out with rules for 3D ship combat that people actually want to use.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Still one of my favorite moments in C2 was Matt preparing these elaborate rules for ship-to-ship combat then the group did what they always do and ruin his plans with some clever use of abilities.

Welp!

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I don't think Dark Sun is ever going to come back because the setting essentially revolves around slavery. With BG3 coming out in the next four years I could easily see Spelljammer and Planescape though.

I'd be stoked if they brought back Planescape and Matt ran something for it, either as part of the larger campaign or for something else. I really enjoyed the City of Brass and Dis and I only spoilered those because someone in the thread is going through C1 now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I would love if WotC came out with rules for 3D ship combat that people actually want to use.

Honestly, the best systems for that I've seen are stuff like the FFG Star Wars system or Modiphius Star Trek one, that both abstract it a lot, and also use basically the same mechanics as normal combat, just subbing the ship's stats in for the PC's at the appropriate times.

Otherwise you end up with stuff like the DMG's version or the Starfinder one, where you're stuck trying to get players to realise that literally turning the ship is a separate action to it moving.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Yeah, but it's not like the setting presents slavery as a good thing. The very first adventure ever published in the setting has the PCs as slaves who are escaping from slavery. Fighting for freedom against entrenched slave owning authority is also the core of the setting.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Jimbot posted:

Still one of my favorite moments in C2 was Matt preparing these elaborate rules for ship-to-ship combat then the group did what they always do and ruin his plans with some clever use of abilities.

Welp!
As with Jester and the Hag, and Beau with stun, and Jester with polymorph on everything that moves... it's awesome to watch Matt visibily struggle with "I wanted this cool thing though" vs being proud of the play.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Honestly Matt has said he really likes Spelljammer stuff in the past, and the CR crew has kind of done it all on Exandria. I'd be totally on board for them to stumble across a plane-traversing ship from the Age of Arcanum at around level 5 (low enough to be in WAY over their heads for this kind of thing) and just start jet-setting across the planes.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Matt also said he likes Planescape. Shame they've tied their brand so tightly to Exandria. It's Matt's baby, obviously, but it could be a lot more interesting to see them play in some of the less standard settings. Not just fantasy versions of medieval places but something weird, wild like the Outlands where all the planes collide or Sigil or even space.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 14, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

NowonSA posted:

Honestly Matt has said he really likes Spelljammer stuff in the past, and the CR crew has kind of done it all on Exandria. I'd be totally on board for them to stumble across a plane-traversing ship from the Age of Arcanum at around level 5 (low enough to be in WAY over their heads for this kind of thing) and just start jet-setting across the planes.

I think that's how a lot of the old Spelljammer adventures started, regular old dungeon crawl with a crashed/repairable ship getting found at the end.

I just really like Spelljammer, I doubt they'll actually be doing it.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Senjuro posted:

Matt also said he likes Planescape. Shame they've tied their brand so tightly to Exandria. It's Matt's baby, obviously, but it could be a lot more interesting to see them play in some of the less standard settings. Not just fantasy versions of medieval places but something weird, wild like the Outlands where all the planes collide or Sigil or even space.

There'd be no reason they couldn't tie pleanscape to Exandria other than monetization/legal stuff with WoTC.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
my guess is they won't put anything in the tabletop game that they can't claim for themselves for when they want to make a TV show/cartoon/movie out of it.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Dexo posted:

my guess is they won't put anything in the tabletop game that they can't claim for themselves for when they want to make a TV show/cartoon/movie out of it.
You're probably right. There's apparently even early talks of a video game now.
https://variety.com/2021/digital/features/critical-role-amazon-legend-of-vox-machina-1235088274/amp/

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The latest Crit Recap Animated is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmKVf1Mp5HQ

THE CHAIR asdgadsfgasdfgb

And Jester's Sending face slays me.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

lol at Yasha in a Blindspot outfit

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Dexo posted:

Critical Role presents, Campaign 3: Jellspammer

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

TotalHell posted:

Critical Role presents, Campaign 3: Jellspammer

That would just get us 3 years of "you jellin'?" jokes out of them.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Dexo posted:

I mean, if he wanted to I'm sure Matt could come up with some new planes, and I figure the standard d&d plane stuff (abyssal, elemental planes, etc.) aren't going to be much of a hassle to use in other properties, especially since they're getting along with WotC nicely.

That just leaves the "we found a ship that goes between planes" aspect as a spelljammer-y IP conflict, and there's got to be a way to make that more generic. Happy fun ball, but it lets you hop around planes while you're in that interdimensional space it creates. A full size house that can hop between planes using magic. Or if they don't want to care about having a proper area/home based to hang out in (though they absolutely should have that), just find a magic item that'll planeshift plenty of people from plane to plane without needing to have the spell. That could even be a fresh vestige of divergence (it's certainly a strong enough effect to be one) that the party as a whole could level up over time to create some new effects, or unlock new destinations. Maybe it's a sentient item with its own agenda. It'll take you to certain planes, but it'll want you to do something while you're there before it'll take you to the next one, or back to the prime material plane.

Basically I'm pretty sure if they want to get funky with it, they can. Matt's also brought up the idea of doing actual space stuff (build a rocketship and go explore the physical cosmos), and that'll certainly let them do cool spaceship stuff that shouldn't infringe on spelljammer at all.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I’d be shocked if more space stuff didn’t come up in this campaign, just because of the module being published. Seems too conspicuous to explicitly call out Ruidus and not do anything with it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Mob wife Aimee :stonklol:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

Matt and Liam’s reaction to the “Mob Wives of Exandria” one shot idea.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

DarklyDreaming posted:

That whole thing was amazing.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
So, first off: I need more of Aimee in everything.

I'm so here for a Clasp Spouses oneshot and I need Erika, Burch, and Mica to join for it. Because that will become a full on secondary campaign. Thank you, thread, for reminding me that was last night.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Dameius posted:

I figured I wasn't the only person in this position so it was worth bringing up as a point of discussion.

You aren't the only one. I don't look at this thread when I am behind on episodes. I primarily *in voice of Uk'otoa voice* CONSUME via podcast. It does suck not to be able to come into this thread. I'm EST and have a day job and kids, there's no way I'll ever be able to livewatch a show.

I like thinking about the lore and world-building, but don't want spoilers. I also image those that aren't able to livewatch/want to avoid spoilers are not well represented in this thread since they've learned to stay away.

Back to the discussion about the moons, I was running a campaign that had the moons as a central plot point. It was fun to build off of them since they have been relatively ambiguous in cannon CR stuff so far. I'll be looking forward to getting the new campaign book.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
This show is broadcast Thursday. It is re-broadcast Friday morning. If you can't make those, it is put up on YouTube on Monday. Asking that everyone who watches it live/semi-live to wait until you've had leisure time to catch up seems a bit of a bridge too far for me. Living in the EST I understand the difficulties around a live-view, but I also wouldn't expect those who do to abstain from commentary and enjoyment just because I might not be able to do so. If you can't watch it live, just exercise the tiniest bit of self-control and don't click on this thread until you've caught up.

Seriously, unless you've got a scorching-hot take about a week-old episode, there really isn't any reason not to. (no, Twitter-drama doesn't count -- it's stupid and it isn't worth it)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Erika Ishii is far too horny for the mainstream, if you saw her vampire interactions with Satine Phoenix and Marisha...

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Lid posted:

Erika Ishii is far too horny for the mainstream, if you saw her vampire interactions with Satine Phoenix and Marisha...

The mainstream of a nunnery maybe

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

AJA posted:

This show is broadcast Thursday. It is re-broadcast Friday morning. If you can't make those, it is put up on YouTube on Monday. Asking that everyone who watches it live/semi-live to wait until you've had leisure time to catch up seems a bit of a bridge too far for me. Living in the EST I understand the difficulties around a live-view, but I also wouldn't expect those who do to abstain from commentary and enjoyment just because I might not be able to do so. If you can't watch it live, just exercise the tiniest bit of self-control and don't click on this thread until you've caught up.

Seriously, unless you've got a scorching-hot take about a week-old episode, there really isn't any reason not to. (no, Twitter-drama doesn't count -- it's stupid and it isn't worth it)

This is why I think it might be worth trying the live watch thread idea: it allows everyone who watches it live to respond freely without messing with spoiler tags, but also allows people to discuss a show that has a LOT of scope for discussion outside of the current episode without having to avoid the thread for days on end.

Also it's a bit extreme to get this mad about someone saying they can't keep up in the same way as others, like come on man "*I* wouldn't expect others (me) to consider me (you) when consuming media we both enjoy" is peak selfish rear end in a top hat talk.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Paracaidas posted:

So, first off: I need more of Aimee in everything.

I'm so here for a Clasp Spouses oneshot and I need Erika, Burch, and Mica to join for it. Because that will become a full on secondary campaign. Thank you, thread, for reminding me that was last night.

This would rule.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

I hesitate to even respond to this post... I wasn't asking anything from anyone, but I was discussing my experience. I've been "exercising the tiniest bit of self-control" for most of the time I have been aware of the show and this thread. This post is dripping with condescension and it isn't even grounded in what I was saying.

Cithen fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 16, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be a little more measured: Is there any other show in TV IV that airs in a regular timeslot but liveposting is discouraged (and yes, requiring spoiler tags is going to discourage live-posting)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Cithen posted:

I hesitate to even respond to this post... I wasn't asking anything from anyone, but I was discussing my experience. I've been "exercising the tiniest bit of self-control" for most of the time I have been aware of the show and this thread. This post is dripping with condescension and it isn't even grounded in what I was saying.

That's fair. I wasn't responding to you specifically, rather the general discussion in which you were the last to post, but you and Vando are both right, I went a bit too over the top in my tone. Sorry about that.