Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005

Vando posted:

This is why I think it might be worth trying the live watch thread idea: it allows everyone who watches it live to respond freely without messing with spoiler tags, but also allows people to discuss a show that has a LOT of scope for discussion outside of the current episode without having to avoid the thread for days on end.

Also it's a bit extreme to get this mad about someone saying they can't keep up in the same way as others, like come on man "*I* wouldn't expect others (me) to consider me (you) when consuming media we both enjoy" is peak selfish rear end in a top hat talk.

I don't think there are enough posts to justify that. We usually only get like half a page of posts on an episode. I think trying to split discussion to two threads would just kill it.

I guess I struggle to see what the issue is with not watching right away. I usually finish the episode on Friday or over the weekend and have never had any problem with posts in the thread. I just don't visit the thread until I finish the episode. Why would I want to read a thread that's all about an episode I haven't seen? There's usually not that much other chat going on. If people are several episodes behind, can't you just stop reading when the "new" episode talk starts? It's usually pretty clear when people are posting about a live episode what with the ad reactions etc.

Would it help to just post something like NEW EPISODE TALK STARTING NOW when the episode starts so people who are back reading know when to stop?

I don't think two threads is a good idea and I also don't love having the entire thread in black spoilers.

blackcross fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
I have the VOD and I frequently open the thread out of habit. If you absolutely need spoiler free, go to reddit, not tviv.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
The main difference I see between Critical Role and other TVIV threads is that the show’s seasons are so much longer, hundreds of episodes instead of 10-20.

The best arrangement I could see for multiple threads would be one thread for the finished campaigns and one for the ongoing campaign. And I definitely would say no spoiler tags needed on the ongoing campaign thread.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Silynt posted:

The main difference I see between Critical Role and other TVIV threads is that the show’s seasons are so much longer, hundreds of episodes instead of 10-20.

The best arrangement I could see for multiple threads would be one thread for the finished campaigns and one for the ongoing campaign. And I definitely would say no spoiler tags needed on the ongoing campaign thread.

This is probably the best idea. We could probably have this thread title changed to make it the previous campaigns & one-shots thread and start our new on for Season 3.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

One other thought, although it may be more trouble than it's worth, is making a new thread for each major Arc in Campaign 3 vs the total campaign. That way each thread would only cover multiple months vs multiple years, and each thread could be a good jumping on point for new/returning fans.

Of course, that would require determining when an Arc ends and someone writing up/copying the plot/character status every time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

blackcross posted:

Would it help to just post something like NEW EPISODE TALK STARTING NOW when the episode starts so people who are back reading know when to stop?

I don't think two threads is a good idea and I also don't love having the entire thread in black spoilers.

So far this sounds like the best compromise to me. Just have the first person to react to an episode put a :siren: in their post so it's nice and clear when it starts.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So far this sounds like the best compromise to me. Just have the first person to react to an episode put a :siren: in their post so it's nice and clear when it starts.

Works for me, a thread avoider the day of first broadcast.

If that's the consensus, I'd suggest putting that prominently in the next thread's OP.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
I mostly lurk, and never finish the episode when it airs live, but I've never had an issue with clicking into the thread before I've finished the episode. It seems easy enough to realize where the reactions start, that the most spoiler thing I see might be "OMG Travis WTF!" or something like that.

I don't see the need to separate the thread, or demand spoiler tags. At most, a post of "EPISODE STARTING NOW" would seem perfectly sufficient.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Agreed with "Episode stars here" thing

I think the only reason to have a 2nd crit role thread would be for when the TV show comes out to keep things separate.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Like someone else said in the thread, I know the episode talk starts when someone posts "Sam, no."

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Dragonstoned posted:

I think the only reason to have a 2nd crit role thread would be for when the TV show comes out to keep things separate.

I think that's actually an interesting question for the people who were in favor of 2 threads, if they think Legend of Vox Machina chat should happen in a campaign 3 liveposting thread (maybe with spoiler tags?) or be in the "old content" thread.

Or, in general, what they'd like to see as a spoiler tag policy for an old content thread. The whole point of that thread would be to avoid spoilers, but if it's meant to be accessible for people not caught up I dunno what that threshold is. Spoiler tags for everything? Is campaign 1 fair game, but c2 isn't? etc.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I think that's actually an interesting question for the people who were in favor of 2 threads, if they think Legend of Vox Machina chat should happen in a campaign 3 liveposting thread (maybe with spoiler tags?) or be in the "old content" thread.

Or, in general, what they'd like to see as a spoiler tag policy for an old content thread. The whole point of that thread would be to avoid spoilers, but if it's meant to be accessible for people not caught up I dunno what that threshold is. Spoiler tags for everything? Is campaign 1 fair game, but c2 isn't? etc.

The other issue would also be if Legend doesn't release at the same time worldwide. I'm assuming it is going to be 1 episode a week (maybe 2 week 1). Most other threads I've participated in have a set spoiler tag until X day of the week after episode release policy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The cartoon should have its own thread where you have to spoil any future talk.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah, I'd reckon that Legend would be its own thread, since it's its own thing.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

The more threads you spread out conversation among, the less conversation actually happens. I'd say there really only needs to be two threads - one for Campaign 3 and one for Legends of Vox Machina when it comes out. The latter needs its own thread because ideally it'll get new people into CR who shouldn't have to come into the ongoing campaign thread and be potentially spoiled about three entire campaigns they don't know anything about.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
As the person who introduced the idea of spoiler tags, I'll say that I did so out of a lack of imagination for alternatives at the time. The thread having a siren post for when live watch starts would, through a different method get us to the same place I think.

I also think having two threads loosely based on legacy and current or Animated series and twitch or whatever distinction is a good idea as well.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I think everything "game related" should be spoiler tagged and clearly marked in the TV show thread

(C1 Spoiler)Vecna wins and everyone dies (and then lives again because Vecna...)
(C2 Spoiler)Jester's mom is the best lay ever

The MCUTV thread was having a similar issue in that people were spoiler tagging the new movies but not labelling it clearly. So you think you're going to be looking at something from the latest episode that aired but whoops it was for that movie you've not seen yet...

I dunno, but I'm sure smarter people then me will figure it out

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That makes perfect sense for the Animated thread.

Starting tomorrow night, the Drag Race thread will have three separate series going on at the same time (two on the same day :psyduck:) and we've just naturally flowed to annotating all Spoilers with the related series for a couple of days after broadcast so that we can discuss while others get a chance to watch the shows. The big difference is that all of the said series are on streaming platforms so there's not a live/linear broadcast.

CR is still an event broadcast. I could skip right to the elimination of tomorrow's Dragula premiere the moment it's released if I wanted to, but everyone watching CR can only rewind the Twitch vod, not skip forward.

(i just realized that thursday is drag race uk, canada's drag race, and the campaign 3 premiere aaaaaaaaaaaaaa:psyboom:)

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I haven't been able to find it, but any info on what the characters will be?

And there's some behind the scenes thing tomorrow to show the new set. Wonder what big changes they made.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 18, 2021

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
For those of us who missed it when it aired, the Narrative Telephone episode is out on youtube now and holy crap it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3kGly9a4kE

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

This got linked to on Reddit, but it’s worth sharing here too:

https://critrole.com/a-warm-welcome-to-marquet-and-campaign-3/

Nice short intro. Also heads off some of the discussion about cultural sensitivity issues.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Keru posted:

For those of us who missed it when it aired, the Narrative Telephone episode is out on youtube now and holy crap it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3kGly9a4kE

In the middle of this now. Aimee is a goddamn gift.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

TotalHell posted:

This got linked to on Reddit, but it’s worth sharing here too:

https://critrole.com/a-warm-welcome-to-marquet-and-campaign-3/

Nice short intro. Also heads off some of the discussion about cultural sensitivity issues.

Also now only 30% of the continent is desert. Which some have concluded to be a retcon born out the realization that it would be boring otherwise

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr1Bz1p8Od0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH4yyDk6lkQ

The "Cursed Cocktails" are Eldermancy and Sandkheg's Hide. He actually made his own Elderberry liqueur for the Eldermancy.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 19, 2021

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Also now only 30% of the continent is desert. Which some have concluded to be a retcon born out the realization that it would be boring otherwise

Yeah and may also have been informed by a sort of casual orientalist mindset of “oh this is the foreign desert culture where everything is desert.” Making it 30% is more interesting and probably ultimately more in line with what they’re doing with cultural sensitivity.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr1Bz1p8Od0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH4yyDk6lkQ

The "Cursed Cocktails" are Eldermancy and Sandkheg's Hide. He actually made his own Elderberry liqueur for the Eldermancy.

You know the drinks are truly awful when he doesn't end up hammered off them by the end of the episode.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nemo2342 posted:

You know the drinks are truly awful when he doesn't end up hammered off them by the end of the episode.
I just like the fact that the Eldermancy had so much poo poo in it that he put the Newcastle Brown Ale substitute off to the side and poured it over the top of the finished drink because otherwise the shaker would have overflowed.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

I just like the fact that the Eldermancy had so much poo poo in it that he put the Newcastle Brown Ale substitute off to the side and poured it over the top of the finished drink because otherwise the shaker would have overflowed.

I like Newcastle Brown Ale and do I don’t know if I’m happy or disappointed that it had to be substituted in this hell concoction.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

I agree with this. Sometimes you get scrolling catching up and it's hard to see where the next episode starts.

Someone get a Campaign 3 thread spun up before Thursday please. Doesn't have to be something crazy amazing.

Anytime ya'll need a title change in the new thread, drop me a PM.

Dexo posted:

The cartoon should have its own thread where you have to spoil any future talk.

Agree.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

TotalHell posted:

Yeah and may also have been informed by a sort of casual orientalist mindset of “oh this is the foreign desert culture where everything is desert.” Making it 30% is more interesting and probably ultimately more in line with what they’re doing with cultural sensitivity.

Knowing Matt as much as we can, it was probably a, "to be filled in later," placeholder that hung around until there was reason for it not to. And since it was just placeholder never got a second thought to consider any problems/implications.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dameius posted:

Knowing Matt as much as we can, it was probably a, "to be filled in later," placeholder that hung around until there was reason for it not to. And since it was just placeholder never got a second thought to consider any problems/implications.

You could also say that common knowledge of Marquet to people who have never been there is "It's the continent that's a big desert."

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

You could also say that common knowledge of Marquet to people who have never been there is "It's the continent that's a big desert."

I mean, Australia to a lot of people is the continent that tries to kill you and is mostly desert so it's not like there isn't a real world parallel.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

seaborgium posted:

I mean, Australia to a lot of people is the continent that tries to kill you and is mostly desert so it's not like there isn't a real world parallel.

Retconning all Marquesian accents to be Australian in my headcanon.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

TotalHell posted:

On the one hand yes, everything being a desert would be boring, but on the other hand it raises the question of who would build their capital in a desert, which is about the least hospitable terrain for life, if it wasn't the only option.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008
Campaign 3 Set reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfB4lVnL4CM

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Senjuro posted:

On the one hand yes, everything being a desert would be boring, but on the other hand it raises the question of who would build their capital in a desert, which is about the least hospitable terrain for life, if it wasn't the only option.

Could have been less desert when it was built but them climate change happens and it is more oasis than Mediterranean.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Odds of Critical Role Land actually happening went up from 0% to 2% :allears:

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Oh, man. I like it. I like it a lot.

And some of those effects are going to be bonkers when they get popped out during a session- like, the rain thing? Lord. I was already excited, but this has me pretty hyped.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Wow. That is some set.

44-ish hours to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Dang that rules. I want to play D&D in the Tavern of Tales!!