Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I didn't think I'd get this in time but somehow being 4th in line at the library paid off quick. I'm glad to see it opens talking about poop. All real literature does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
About halfway through now, and I've found it quite enjoyable.

Regarding the spoilered bit from Franchescando and Down With People, I'm really curious as to what the alternate reading of that is. I came away with the same impression.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
And I finished this last night. Overall my favorite part was probably Lincoln's first visit and the responses from the ghosts.. I wasn't so sure of the change in Lincoln. Everyone has sorrow, therefore we need to kill these guys better, harder, faster. That struck me as a bit of a stretch, though I don't think it matters. this was a good book and I really enjoyed it.

Ben Nevis fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 19, 2018

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, he does get propelled by the spirit of a black man who's out for revenge entering his body.

I feel like the degree of influence is a pretty open question there.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, to be fair, the opinions Lincoln has when he leaves the graveyard are the literal expressed opinions of Lincoln during the Civil War

Like, that poo poo he was thinking was all stuff he said at one point or another

There's a couple responses here. First, from what little I've read about it, that wasn't so much his thinking at the time of Willie's death. Generally though, I think that's not really relevant to whether that change is justified by the narrative. I mean, I understand that it has to be that, you can't have a different outcome there and have it consistent with the rest, but it seemed sudden and not really supported to that point.

• Locked thread