Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.
I'm only to IX but I am curious as to the affect, if any beyond general presentation, of using the character's names like that for their respective quotes. Not referring so much to the diary and journalistic entries, but the dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

CestMoi posted:

Woah this guy's smart he said he'd take a book on how to build a boat

I hope the performative cleverness in that interview never shows up in this book.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, he does get propelled by the spirit of a black man who's out for revenge entering his body.

This is where the story really abandoned itself. I realize it was right at the end but there was never a natural transition. His realization of my God so many sons will die to then conclude well I'm gonna bury those fuckers hard rather any nuance of Jesus gently caress this is destroying a country. I think Saunders may have gotten swept up by the "herp derp we've gotta kill these slave having bastards" conviction which is also horrendous as it neglects any acknowledgement of structures of power and never recognizes that both sides had sons dying at the instructions of leaders. Much less be an acceptable step from the rest of the novel.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hrm yes the poor slave owners and people who enlisted explicitly to help slave owners

Implying that at the highest levels of power the Civil War wasn't actually fought to consolidate Industrialist power by destroying the agricultural barons of the South.

You are a pathetically predictable idealogue.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Heh, well actually the Civil War was about the economic forces of modernity snuffing out a dark ages era social system that was only economically sustainable through the literal ownership of human beings"
Translation: y-you're right b-but s-s-so what. Herp derp slavery. Punch a nazi! :circlefap:

Franchescanado posted:

Sorry you don't like it, but the book didn't pull any deus ex gotchas with the ending.
I don't think it pulled a gotcha. I thought the book was beautiful and it dealt with race well. I'm saying the possession was tacked on and took an unnecessary turn to essentially try to make his son's death the impetus for the Emancipation Proclamation. See:

Tree Goat posted:

it also sort of had the effect of lionizing lincoln as one of either a spirit of vengeance or a supernaturally woke anti-racist which a) seems ahistorical and b) somewhat undoes much of the effort spent in humanizing him and placing him in context as a historical figure.

Down With People posted:

lose another war bitch
Implying anything I said says I give a gently caress about who won the Civil War. Go change your tampon sweetie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh poo poo need suggestions for next month

how about Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff

The long home by William Gay

• Locked thread