Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
God drat, that tent would've given me nightmares as a kid. I think Alice in Wonderland made me wary of disembodied smiles.

Oh, edit.

Ultra Spoot posted:

Part 12 - Journey to the Painful Text

Now that we are free, nothing can stop us from getting our revenge against intelligent zombies. Not even tents or piles of puke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The Angry Video Game Nerd just released a new episode. It's about Earthbound! (spoiler free video link)

Some major spoilers, of course, but it's a great episode. It's only available on Amazon Prime (anyone can watch it, though Edit: in the US and UK [?]) right now.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 19, 2018

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

AVGN is the last person I expected to do a video on Earthbound, let alone an almost 40 minute long one. Love it. I'm kinda surprised he'd never played it, but then again, I think Earthbound is still criminally underplayed. Hell I'm not even sure I've played it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I never enjoyed AVGN, I watched probably the first 3 videos years ago before I got sick of his terrible poop jokes and constant swearing. So annoying to listen to.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 13 - Puke Base Rescue

We check out a waterfall only to find that it contains a puke base.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I never enjoyed AVGN, I watched probably the first 3 videos years ago before I got sick of his terrible poop jokes and constant swearing. So annoying to listen to.

Oh yeah he's amazingly unfunny, but when he drops the act and breaks down exactly why the games suck I don't mind him. Plus there's something about watching him knowing how long he's been around. Like, he was one of the first DIY game review people, before youtube even existed I believe. It's interesting seeing him still making videos in pretty much the same way after all these years, even if they're not funny.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Incidentally, one of my very favorite pieces of EarthBound music is right ahead for you guys, and that's saying something given how much I love the rest of this game's music (another personal favorite plays in Polestar Preschool)

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Quest 64 is great. Running around, whacking things with a stick and dropping rocks on their heads.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

PureRok posted:

Quest 64 is great. Running around, whacking things with a stick and dropping rocks on their heads.

I really wanted to like it but I remember it being just a crazy grind. Like the dungeons were ungodly long and the random encounters were just too much. It's been a long time though so it's possible I just sucked at it and didn't drop enough rocks on things. I remember really liking the art style

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I kind of like the concept and structure of the encounters, where you can use boundaries and positioning to your advantage sometimes. Now, the frequency of the encounters, that was pretty hosed. Also hosed: orienting yourself in the field or in dungeons. The element power/spell system always felt sort of opaque, too, but I accept that that may just be me being too dumb and/or impatient to really get to grips with it :shrug:

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 14 - Milky Well Wishes

It's time to head into plant land. I think I got pretty lucky in this area, cause if you have to fight a lot of struttin' evil mushrooms you will get poisoned and mushroomized, making fighting the boss extremely difficult. I had forgotten about it so I didn't mention it in the video, but on top of paralyzing you, I believe that glaring move the boss uses is the first move in the game that can diamondize you. If you've never played the game, diamondization or diamondizing or whatever makes you completely unable to do anything like paralysis, but it's even harder and more expensive to cure. Earthbound doesn't gently caress around with its status effects.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah diamondization is basically a OHKO.

There’s a really fun fact about diamondization that’ll come up much later in the game...

The best way to deal with Trillionage Sprout is to save the Big Bottle Rocket Jeff starts with for him. Granting that bottle rockets in general trivialize most bosses and should not be used if you’re looking for any sort of challenge from this game :v:

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 15 - Dusty Dunes Dessert

This was always one of my favorite areas of the game. I love all the ridiculous characters you meet, even if you have to slog through crazy waves of enemies to get there. Even then though, nothing is super difficult in the desert. I believe pretty much everything is weak to ice so you can plow your way through relatively easily.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah diamondization is basically a OHKO.

There’s a really fun fact about diamondization that’ll come up much later in the game...

The best way to deal with Trillionage Sprout is to save the Big Bottle Rocket Jeff starts with for him. Granting that bottle rockets in general trivialize most bosses and should not be used if you’re looking for any sort of challenge from this game :v:

Yeah I do feel like it kinda cheeses the game, that's why I haven't used it yet. I usually would save it for another boss coming up pretty soon in what is probably my least favorite part of the game, but I also wanna show off his moves and try something out, so we're gonna attempt to fight it in another more dangerous way and see how it goes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Don’t feel bad, it’s everyone’a least favorite part of the game.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 16 - Fourside Shufflin'

We took a short break for Tyrel to get absolutely destroyed by his job, but now we're back to hang out in Fourside. If there's corruption afoot, Gerg will expose it, because this is HIS WORLD

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Since you said you still didn't know what Luck did, here's what starmen.net says: "Luck - Helps with the dodging of attacks. This is increased by "Arms" equipment."

Edit: That doesn't seem to be quite right, though. I read the formulas that are on starmen.net and they say Luck is for avoiding status effects, usually at a rate of Luck/80, but sometimes /60 or /40.

Check out this page to see how the numbers work under the hood.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 8, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes, that’s right. I always had a general suspicion that Luck didn’t quite do what the game/guide claimed but didn’t know the specifics until the ROM was studied.

There are two ways an attack can miss: “Just missed!” Or “...narrowly missed hitting the target!” which means the weapon or enemy failed its hit check; and “(target) dodged swiftly!” which means the target made its Speed save. Luck has nothing to do with physical hit rates and instead, as stated, affects the hit rates of certain status attacks.

The tl;dr is that Speed is important in several non-obvious ways and Luck doesn’t really matter.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

I love how Earthbound managed to make a stat so mysterious that there's still confusion/ debate over what it actually does 20 years later. Not even the stache stat in Mario and Luigi could hope to touch this.

Also your avatar reminded me, I don't think I've ever won anything from the desert gambling in 20 years of playing Earthbound on and off. So if anyone was wondering why I gave up on gambling so fast, I think my memories of losing were starting to flood back and I just couldn't handle the pain of loss

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If nothing else I'm reminded of some of the more arcane details in Super Mario RPG that you could only find out through data mining. For instance Jump (yes, the very first ability in the game) gets a hidden boost based on how many times you've used it on that save, so eventually it can be one of Mario's most powerful attacks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The win rate with Pancho, Pincho and Tomas Jefferson is in fact the 1/16 you would think, but of course it takes almost a minute per play and it doesn’t take much bad luck to lose 30 times in a row at those odds. If you’re curious, the prizes are mostly insignificant: Skip Sandwich, Can of Fruit Juice, Chick, PSI Caramel That last item is fairly useful and this is the only theoretically unlimited supply in the game of them, but it’s safe to say at about a half hour of time each no one has ever grinded for them :v:

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 17 - Swole Mole
Part 18 - Department Store Hell

Holy gently caress it's a double update. First up is the desert maze. I've always been kinda indifferent about this part of the game, it's not super difficult or anything, just a bit of an endurance test to survive all the poison and waves of enemies. We were almost able to do the whole thing in one run, and if I had bought some serum I probably could have, but all in all not too bad. In the next video we head back into Fourside and get into some inventory hell, which was bound to happen sooner or later. This is the part of the game I've always disliked, even if you prepare for it like I did it can still do a number on you. Anyone who played this game and got through without the guide gets my full commendations.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

The win rate with Pancho, Pincho and Tomas Jefferson is in fact the 1/16 you would think, but of course it takes almost a minute per play and it doesn’t take much bad luck to lose 30 times in a row at those odds. If you’re curious, the prizes are mostly insignificant: Skip Sandwich, Can of Fruit Juice, Chick, PSI Caramel That last item is fairly useful and this is the only theoretically unlimited supply in the game of them, but it’s safe to say at about a half hour of time each no one has ever grinded for them :v:

I'm glad the person with the appropriate avatar was the one to give this information. I like to think you've never played the game, you just know this one part and really really like the desert gambling brothers

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
"the" desert maze

Oh boy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Desert maze isn’t so bad if you have the patience to use the Slime Generator on every turn against Thirsty Coil Snakes, which mostly stops them from poisoning you and draining Ness’s PP. Freeze alpha on Gigantic Ants, Rockin beta when you’re forced to fight swarms of Noose Men (try to avoid it though), kill the Diggers with Freeze while Ness and Jeff Defend. It’s not so bad. But it’s actually probably the most challenging part of the game because it’s basically the only part where PP will get scarce even if you’re carefully managing it.

Or you can just cheese it by abusing the “Rock Candy bug” with the Magic Truffle from Twoson and Ketchup Packets to have functionally infinite PP, but, I mean, c’mon. :v:

I, er, read all that somewhere. :yayclod:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That department store has a special place in my mind for the game.
I think there is a certain boss coming up who comments on you showing it your Pencil Eraser. If not that fight, then when you have a re-fight with it much later.

NGDBSS posted:

If nothing else I'm reminded of some of the more arcane details in Super Mario RPG that you could only find out through data mining. For instance Jump (yes, the very first ability in the game) gets a hidden boost based on how many times you've used it on that save, so eventually it can be one of Mario's most powerful attacks.
All three of his Jumps have their own hidden counter and easily disturbs the difficulty of the game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think there is a certain boss coming up who comments on you showing it your Pencil Eraser. If not that fight, then when you have a re-fight with it much later.

I don't know about the one coming up but I know the one much later does. I don't actually know what it is though.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Oh man I'm gonna look this up and try to do it cause I never knew about it

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 19 - What Just Happened

We finish up one of my least favorite parts of the game and head into one of my favorite parts of the game. Earthbound is interesting because for every kind of annoying part, there's pretty much always a really cool part right after to keep you going, so it's easy to forgive. It's gotta be one of the most charming games ever made, if not the most. And unfortunately, my, uh, master plan didn't go so well against the boss. What can I say, I never used Jeff items much.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There was a little possible cut content where Everdred did die and his ghost floated away.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Man, I'm loving Moonside. This game just keeps throwing curveballs.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Nidoking posted:

"the" desert maze

Oh boy.

Part 20 - Annoying Monkey Cave

I stand corrected, because obviously we needed TWO desert mazes! So first off, unfortunately we had already recorded this before Scalding Coffee told me about the pencil eraser thing, so I didn't get to show it off. But yes, if you try to use it on the Mani Mani statue you get a message that says "how could you possibly think that looks like a pencil?", which is great. After Moonside you get to probably the most annoying part of the game. I appreciate that the monkeys have pretty funny stuff to say, but it's just not enough to make me forget that I'm running around like an idiot through a cave where everything looks the same and I'm being slowly driven insane by music with constant annoying chirps and poo poo. So there's your warning, this video contains me running around through a monkey cave like an idiot. I'm sure everyone who's already played this game has nightmares about this part, so sorry if I bring back some repressed memories. Luckily I don't think there's any more annoying parts of the game really after this, or at least not nearly to this level, and I really like the part after this, so it's kinda one of those things you deal with to get to the good stuff, like the Krauser quick time fight in RE4 or something.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'll be honest. I never remember that the monkey cave exists. Every time I play the game I just assume Dept. Store -> Monotoli Building. And I still can't remember ever doing that monkey cave, but I must have because I've played this game through repeatedly since I was a wee lad.

Edit: Also, Bound Together (released 2005) is a really good fan remix album for the music in this game. Monkeys Fling Poo is the remix for the The Monkeys' Maze.
Edit edit: I recommend you grab it here, since OCRemix seems to be missing some tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tee9x4x58WQ

PureRok fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 18, 2018

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

You might try applying vinegar to that sunburn to help it feel better. It works, iirc, because the vinegar evaporates more readily than water, and that evaporation transfers some of the heat from your skin to the air. It has only two downsides that I have encountered:
-it's hard to combine this with other sunburn remedies, like aloe vera
-also you (the sunburned) will smell like a salad with a very boring vinaigrette dressing

it absolutely works, tho

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I’ve played the game so many times that I have the entire layout of the monkey cave memorized. Even when you have it memorized it’s a very boring 15 minutes of back and forth to clear the place (and the loot is VERY valuable so you under no circumstances want to skip any of it).

But honestly, I’ve long since switched to the habit of using a walk through walls game genie code for this part. Lets you just skip most of it, grab the loot, and get back to the fun.

e: I still have the original Rock Candy disc :iia:

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

SatansOnion posted:

You might try applying vinegar to that sunburn to help it feel better.

It's looking like Tyrel's probably gonna be working outside quite a bit for the foreseeable future, so I'll see if I can get him to slather himself with vinegar and report back in the videos.

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
(I actually really enjoyed the monkey cave.)

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 21 - The True Power of Monkeys

peachsynapse posted:

(I actually really enjoyed the monkey cave.)

I think I can see why, I think the monkeys are pretty funny but I just can't shake the feeling that it's padding the game a bit on top of all the other stuff I said in my other post. It's not unbearable or anything, once you get past the first two monkeys everything else you need is in there, unless of course you, uh, don't bring your pencil eraser. Anyway join us for learning about the true power of monkeys.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 22 - A Flock of Turkeys

We've smashed our way through Monotoli's sentry bots and found our way to a tiny little dude. Surely this is nothing to worry about.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So you're right about how that fight works. It ends based on how much damage you do because the sandwich the robot eats doesn't actually do anything except for waste its turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

So you're right about how that fight works. It ends based on how much damage you do because the sandwich the robot eats doesn't actually do anything except for waste its turn.

Yeah I had a feeling that's how it worked but never bothered to actually look it up. It makes the fight pretty harrowing on your first time through since it seems like you're not damaging him at all, and then you freak out and start scrambling to heal and survive the onslaught of the least threatening looking robot ever.