Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think the idea with Pokey is that he wanted to be your friend from the start but didn't know how to express it, like in the intro he's talking like you're friends already and forcing himself into your party even though he is useless in combat - then he asks you at Happi-Happi village if you are his friend and interprets your lack of response as a resounding "No." Then goes into "WELL gently caress YOU TOO, I NEVER WANTED TO BE YOUR STUPID FRIEND ANYWAY! :qq:" from that point on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Clumsy Robot might be my favorite boss in the game. He’s one of only a few (5 to be exact) that use the best (non-final boss) music, and it’s awesome and hilarious how he bounces between “Clumsy Robot lost a gear and some bolts!” and straight up murdering your sorry rear end. And it comes totally out of nowhere. The whole thing is just so EarthBound. :allears:

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 23 - Beachy Things

In this video we make it to good old beachy Summers and become poor. I spent a little extra time checking out the shop in Winters because when I play by myself I always just skipped it, so I wanted to compare the items for myself. Hopefully I didn't drag the video out too much.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Never feel bad about spending all your money in Summers because it’s the last time in the game you’ll need to spend a significant sum of money.

The T-Rex’s bat only gets used for one short “dungeon” so it’s whatever. The Non-stick fry pan, as noted, is actually better than the Summers option so should definitely be grabbed. I don’t bother with the coins as, again, those will be upgraded very soon anyway.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 5, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Were you thinking of the movie Heat?

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don’t bother with the coins as, again, those will be upgraded very soon anyway.

Whoops. Well at least we'll have that tiny bit more defense for the areas coming up soon!

suicidesteve posted:

Were you thinking of the movie Heat?

I can officially say I was thinking of L.A. Confidential, but Tyrel was right, I could not have been any more vague about it cause I couldn't remember any of the actors or plot lol

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 24 - Cake Nightmares

In this video we try to help a relationship by getting someone's cake and improving their confidence. I think Tyrel also takes that one more step toward insanity. Unfortunately we probably won't have another video for at least a couple weeks, we were supposed to record more this week and I went and caught a nasty cold, so my voice is shot right now. Thanks everyone for hanging out though and listening to our nerd words and occasional rambling.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
About the nice eyes bit, I've had people tell me I have "pretty eyes" and I never know what to say to that. I was even asked if I wear mascara once.

All those bands you listed are some of my favorites. Nine Days, Matchbox Twenty, Lifehouse if we're still listing bands.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 25 - A Dingy Dungy

We make our way to Fourside and talk to an extremely creepy museum guy, and then Tyrel gives a super hot Fallout 4 take. I don't think Tyrel loves Fallout in the same way I and most people love Earthbound, which I think he'll see when we reach the end, but I can't really say that he's wrong.

PureRok posted:

All those bands you listed are some of my favorites. Nine Days, Matchbox Twenty, Lifehouse if we're still listing bands.

We're not anymore unfortunately, but if anyone else wants to then who am I to deny their fun. I do have a totally loving sick 90's music take coming up in one of the next videos though

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Has Tyrel played Fallout: New Vegas?

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Weed Wolf posted:

Has Tyrel played Fallout: New Vegas?

Actually no, neither of us has. It's the only fallout game I haven't played. I know a lot of people on SA think it's the best of the newer ones, and that the choices you can make are way more meaningful or something? I forget. Anyway I do wanna play it eventually cause I'm always interested when a game has a good story, or at least tries to do some cool things with it

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I liked New Vegas the least but I'm biased against games that crash constantly. Also some of the DLC wasn't very good. I'll admit I only really remember The Pitt though. I remember some red cloud or something and that DLC crashed and/or soft-locked on me so much. Maybe the rest were great.

Edit:

Also I think this might be my least favorite part of the game. Nothing really happens and it's so tedious compared to the rest of the game. Especially if you don't normally carry money, which I suspect most people don't considering how heavily the early game punishes you for carrying money.

Go to the museum, pay $20, leave, go to the show, pay $30, go to your inventory and select the item because for some reason you can't just give him your ticket :argh: wait 2 minutes, leave, go to the museum, pay $20 again, continue to the fun stuff. I know the first time I played this game I got stuck here because I didn't realize you had to manually use the ticket, and I'm sure I had to make 3 tips to the hotel ATM because I never carry any cash and there's 3 separate instances of needing to have money to continue. At least they could have had him give you money to cover the tickets and re-entry to the museum or something.

The fact that this is the 3rd worst thing I have to say about the game (the store interface is #1 and inventory management is #2) is why it's my favorite game.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 19, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The only thing I really hated about EarthBound the first time I played it was the goddamn cameraman. But it pays off spectacularly at the very end.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Ultra Spoot posted:

Actually no, neither of us has. It's the only fallout game I haven't played. I know a lot of people on SA think it's the best of the newer ones, and that the choices you can make are way more meaningful or something? I forget. Anyway I do wanna play it eventually cause I'm always interested when a game has a good story, or at least tries to do some cool things with it

Obviously opinions but I think that New Vegas best captured the feel of the old games, which is in no small part due to the fact that the original game team reformed as Obsidian. And IDK but I can't stand the slog / railroad of Fallout 3, and I only got 10 hours into Fallout 4 before confirming that the plot was atrocious and uninstalling, but I continue to replay New Vegas to this day. But again, you both should try it out and judge for yourself!

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 26 - Giant Rats Get Baseball Bats

In this video we try to get our most disgusting sanctuary yet, and I had forgotten about it but we do talk about 90's music again, but not for too long, I swear! I do think some of the bosses can be pretty challenging, but keep in mind when I say that I usually mean "without using bottle rockets or dragonite". As you can see in the video we're at the point where bottle rockets are still amazing, but they're at least not completely broken anymore. Part of me actually kinda likes that you can cheese bosses, cause I feel like people who maybe just wanted to see the story can get through a little quicker since it's kind of a long game, but I can see people looking for more of a challenge being disappointed with it. I dunno man. Oh, and I think New Vegas is now officially on Tyrel and I's enormous backlog of games to play. Maybe they fixed the crashing part? We can hope.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The oddity with EarthBound's challenge level is that it scales down rather than up as the game goes on--the most difficult challenges in the game are all in the first one-third of it, and the boss most likely to kill an experienced player is Titanic Ant (or Mondo Mole if you don't use the Paralysis instawin). I don't think the designers accounted sufficiently for how much easier it is to deal with a boss with three or four characters instead of one or two. The lategame bosses really should be using powerful attacks on every turn and having stouter defenses, but it isn't so.

There's a particular boss near the end of the game which the official player's guide touts as the greatest challenge ever and recommends a hilariously wrongheaded strategy of trying to win by attrition, when in fact (like many bosses) it can trivially be beaten by setting Auto Fight.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

The oddity with EarthBound's challenge level is that it scales down rather than up as the game goes on--the most difficult challenges in the game are all in the first one-third of it, and the boss most likely to kill an experienced player is Titanic Ant (or Mondo Mole if you don't use the Paralysis instawin). I don't think the designers accounted sufficiently for how much easier it is to deal with a boss with three or four characters instead of one or two. The lategame bosses really should be using powerful attacks on every turn and having stouter defenses, but it isn't so.

Definitely, but I do think there's a few kinda tough ones in there, like department store spook(again, unless you just blast it with a bottle rocket). That might not be the boss being hard though so much as me being bad at video games. And for some reason I remembered plague rat being tough and the next boss being pretty easy, and hoo boy was that the opposite as you'll see.

The powerful attacks thing is weird because you'd think they'd set it so that the boss would definitely use it at least once, but it seems to be random. Like I don't think shroooooom even used his best attack once, and trillionage sprout can diamondize you but I don't think it used that one on me either.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

:eng101: Each enemy has either three or six actions to pick from*, and they can be executed one of three ways: In order, at random, or at random but favoring one particular one. IIRC Shrooom! actually does his actions in the same order every time. Thunder and Storm is definitely one that always acts in order: Crashing Boom Bang, deep breaths (wasted turn), super powerful physical attack, summon a storm (unblockable Flash omega, which is SUPER dangerous), loop. (Not sure if that counts as a spoiler at this point, let me know if you'd like it removed, it's just the best example I can think of right now.)

* (Pedantic: code-wise it's always four actions, but some enemies, mostly bosses, have an extender function as one of the four which points to another set of four, one of which is an extender function pointing back to the original.)

And yeah Dept. Store Spook and Clumsy Robot are both bosses that can straight up murder even an expert player and you can do gently caress-all to stop it, if you're unlucky enough and they repeatedly use their dangerous attacks. But once again, the reason for this is mostly because you only have two characters for those fights. If you had three they would be much, much easier.

The best solution IMO to have actually difficult boss fights against 3/4 member parties would have been to make you fight two or three at a time: not just a boss and a couple weak flunkies like e.g. Titanic Ant or Trillionage Sprout, but multiple bona fide bosses to deal with.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

:eng101: Each enemy has either three or six actions to pick from*, and they can be executed one of three ways: In order, at random, or at random but favoring one particular one. IIRC Shrooom! actually does his actions in the same order every time. Thunder and Storm is definitely one that always acts in order: Crashing Boom Bang, deep breaths (wasted turn), super powerful physical attack, summon a storm (unblockable Flash omega, which is SUPER dangerous), loop. (Not sure if that counts as a spoiler at this point, let me know if you'd like it removed, it's just the best example I can think of right now.)

* (Pedantic: code-wise it's always four actions, but some enemies, mostly bosses, have an extender function as one of the four which points to another set of four, one of which is an extender function pointing back to the original.)

I did not know this, thanks for the info. I'll probably try to talk about it in one of our future videos. Also yeah that's perfect, I forgot to set up a spoiler policy in the op but please spoiler anything we haven't seen yet.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 27 - Thunder Beasts and Kraken Feasts

In this video our kids get a couple of big boss fights. Apparently the "summons a storm" attack has the same effects as a max level flash, which has a chance to give you some really bad status effects, or just kill your characters outright if you're unlucky. So, you know, that's cool!

edit: forgot eric the mauve talked about this in greater detail, read his spoilers after watching the video or playing past this point.

Ultra Spoot fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 29, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The surest way to a dead Thunder and Storm is simply to equip Ness with the Franklin Badge and Night Pendant. Everyone else might die, but Ness will be invincible; T&S can only hurt him one turn in four and healing the damage is trivial.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 28 - Chucking Snakes in a Pyramid

In this video we solve a very complicated puzzle and head into a pyramid, snakes in hand. On your first playthrough I think this can be one of the more grueling areas in the game cause it goes on juuuuust a little bit longer than you think it would, but if you know to conserve your pp a bit and maybe carry a few healing items it's not too bad. Even if you don't have anything, you can just take advantage of the DX water merchant and use Poo as your main psychic kid.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

that bitchin' ice spell you just got is in fact PSI Freeze Omega, as in the ultimate

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 29 - Dumbgeon Man

We arrive at another fantastic part of the game, except for one slight thing: THOSE enemies are back.

SatansOnion posted:

that bitchin' ice spell you just got is in fact PSI Freeze Omega, as in the ultimate

They grow up so fast...

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I for one am sickened by this game's shameless pandering to the transdungeon community. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people who want to be dungeons, but it's high time the game industry stopped shoving their existance into my face.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 30 - Swamp Embarrassment

We say our goodbyes to dungeon man and get on our way to Deep Darkness, which, for a place called Deep Darkness, doesn't stay dark for long.

Whybird posted:

I for one am sickened by this game's shameless pandering to the transdungeon community. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people who want to be dungeons, but it's high time the game industry stopped shoving their existance into my face.

drat, the SJWs win again!!!!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The game blocks you with an invisible wall from progressing until you use the Hawk Eye, which I think is a shame. It would have been fun trying to navigate the whole thing by memory or persistence completely blind, at least for psychos like me who always get a certain spoiler item on every playthrough and once actually sold enough cookies as solo Jeff to buy a T-Rex’s Bat before going to Threed, just so I could say I did (it’s not even close to being close to worth it).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The word for combining other words is Portmanteau btw.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

The game blocks you with an invisible wall from progressing until you use the Hawk Eye, which I think is a shame. It would have been fun trying to navigate the whole thing by memory or persistence completely blind, at least for psychos like me who always get a certain spoiler item on every playthrough and once actually sold enough cookies as solo Jeff to buy a T-Rex’s Bat before going to Threed, just so I could say I did (it’s not even close to being close to worth it).

Oh, bummer. I think I was thinking of pokemon speedruns where they go through the caves without using flash.

BioEnchanted posted:

The word for combining other words is Portmanteau btw.

Thank you, someone told me and I was excited to bring it up in a video and then I completely forgot it again.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Pretty sure the Casey Bat is a guaranteed drop there. It's strong, but misses most of the time. Probably not worth using.

You can't move items from one character to another if you're full, but whenever it's convenient to return to Onett, you can hand your sister just about any item to free up space, shuffle stuff around, and then get it back. Or sell that unused armor you keep lugging around. Or just drop it once you get to the point where money becomes largely irrelevant. You can, however, rearrange the items that a particular character is holding by having them give items to themself. I highly recommend moving the Heavy Bazooka to the first slot in Jeff's inventory as soon as you get it so that the A-mashing can become a bazooka use with very few extra button presses.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Casey Bat is a guaranteed drop, and it misses fully 75% of the time, and so is unusable in battle. Its only use is helping you insta-win battles (because Offense is a primary component the game considers when deciding whether to grant an insta-win, and it doesn't care about miss rate) but that's very situational. There's one use for which it's particularly helpful but it might be spoilery at this point.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Nidoking posted:

You can, however, rearrange the items that a particular character is holding by having them give items to themself. I highly recommend moving the Heavy Bazooka to the first slot in Jeff's inventory as soon as you get it so that the A-mashing can become a bazooka use with very few extra button presses.

Oh man I never knew this, thank you. This and everything else in your post will definitely happen, I promise, just not for a couple videos unfortunately since we already recorded a couple more. I am an rpg hoarder in recovery and it's not going well.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Not to mention all of those slime generators and shield nullifier items Jeff made and is carrying. You could probably give those to your sister, as well.

Edit: The Key to the Tower, Neutralizer, Shield Killer, Lucky Coin, and Counter-PSI Unit to be more precise.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'd keep the Neutralizer, it can be useful once in a while

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Casey at the Bat in a nutshell: Mighty Casey is the star player for the Mudville team, famous for his ability to hit home runs. He has the final at-bat with the bases loaded and his team down by three (for non-baseball fans like me, that means a home run will win the game). He lets the first two pitches go by for dramatic effect and then misses the third, disappointing everyone. The miss is so famous that it became a reference in this game.

As far as I know, you can always successfully run as the opening action if you score a surprise attack. Basically, the enemy just never notices that you were ever there.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 31 - Winters Problems

We finally make it to an adorable village and then immediately get hit with some bad stuff happening in Winters, leading us to what I think most people would say is the worst "dungeon" in the game. At this point with his arsenal, I imagine that Jeff/ Tyrel is talking like Duke Nukem about how he's gonna kick some alien rear end.

Nidoking posted:

As far as I know, you can always successfully run as the opening action if you score a surprise attack. Basically, the enemy just never notices that you were ever there.

I had a feeling it was too good to be true, running never seems to work for me.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Whoops, I watched the video and commented and forgot that you hadn't posted it yet.

I don't think Stonehenge is all that bad, unless you have a guide telling you what's there. The PSI Shield is a huge help against the worst attacks you'll face, and exploding enemies have been old hat since Peaceful Rest V- actually, now that I think about it, that's also a really nasty place to get through.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nidoking posted:

Casey at the Bat in a nutshell: Mighty Casey is the star player for the Mudville team, famous for his ability to hit home runs. He has the final at-bat with the bases loaded and his team down by three (for non-baseball fans like me, that means a home run will win the game). He lets the first two pitches go by for dramatic effect and then misses the third, disappointing everyone. The miss is so famous that it became a reference in this game.

It’s actually a really cool and fun poem even if you don’t care about baseball, worth looking up.

Fun fact, in the original poem Casey struck out intentionally because he’d been paid to throw the game (this kind of thing was not uncommon in baseball in the 19th century, when the poem was written), but the stanzas that established this fact were removed from the version of the poem that attained the pre-WWI version of going viral. So the original was a tongue-in-cheek commentary on corruption, whereas the popular verson became one on hubris.

e: not that it materially changes anything but it was runners on 2nd and 3rd base with the Mudville nine trailing 4-2, meaning a home run wins the game and a single probably ties it. In modern baseball Casey would just be intentionally walked but that strategy didn’t exist in 1890 :v:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 18, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So far as I can tell, that "part from the original" was asserted by one sports journalist. Leonard Koppett was apparently a big deal in his day but it's hard to believe just one guy's assertion without any mention of a source text. Those 18 lines that were supposedly don't quite fit the published version, constructed exclusively of four-line stanzas. And Leonard Koppett's article, well...given some of the word choices and archaic hyphenations I suspect it's meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's interesting, and as far as I can tell you're right--it seems to me most likely something Koppett made up (or got from a now-lost source who made it up). Based on what I know of 19th century baseball it's a pretty believable fib in any case!