Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 32 - Stonehenge Starman Struggle

For this one we decided to do a mega length video to try to finish up stonehenge base. I remembered almost nothing about the boss of this area, and mistakes are made. All I'll say for now is THE STRATEGY GUIDE DIDN'T MENTION IT AT ALL OKAY

Nidoking posted:

Whoops, I watched the video and commented and forgot that you hadn't posted it yet.

I don't think Stonehenge is all that bad, unless you have a guide telling you what's there. The PSI Shield is a huge help against the worst attacks you'll face, and exploding enemies have been old hat since Peaceful Rest V- actually, now that I think about it, that's also a really nasty place to get through.

It's not really the fact that they explode, it's that they just don't die, and they're way more frequent than those trees. Like they just really love to heal themselves to max when they have like 50 hp left and drag fights out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Ultra Spoot posted:

It's not really the fact that they explode, it's that they just don't die, and they're way more frequent than those trees. Like they just really love to heal themselves to max when they have like 50 hp left and drag fights out.

Ah, yes. People who "have better things to do than spend all their time playing video games and want the experience to go by faster". Maybe that wasn't a thing when I was a kid, or maybe I was just too young to understand it. All I knew was that if they sat there healing every turn, I wasn't taking damage, so I was in no danger of losing the fight. I was quite content to unload my physical attacks every turn until the robot tried to be effective in any way, or I got lucky with turn orders and put in enough damage to destroy it between heals. If I felt really patient, I could Mirror one for free random full-heals.

Besides, I actually did grind for the Sword of Kings most of the time, so any individual fight was a drop in the bucket. Let me tell you about the time all of my characters were level 85 by the time that sword finally dropped and the rest of the game sort of didn't so much happen as drop dead at my feet as I passed by.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Battle Against a Machine (the music that plays during these fights) is one of my favorite battle themes in the game. Probably third behind Kraken of the Sea and one we won't hear for a pretty long time. It fits the area and the enemies so well. And yeah, Atomic Power Robots are the devil. You need to get a lucky smash and not have anyone miss to kill the stupid things.

Your bosses have all been the opposite of what I expected. Plague Rat and Shrooooooooooooooooooom are usually 2 of the harder fights for me while Thunder and Storm and this fight are really easy. Though to be fair it's been a looooong time since I fought Starman Deluxe legit. I'm always either ridiculously overleveled from spending an hour grinding for a Sword of Kings or I'm at a normal level and I Multi Bottle Rocket it because screw that noise. I'm curious to see how the next few go. The next one can go badly but I don't usually have much trouble. The one after that can go really bad really fast and usually ends up eating a desperation MBR.

Nidoking posted:

Besides, I actually did grind for the Sword of Kings most of the time, so any individual fight was a drop in the bucket. Let me tell you about the time all of my characters were level 85 by the time that sword finally dropped and the rest of the game sort of didn't so much happen as drop dead at my feet as I passed by.

Can confirm, the game becomes much easier when you're in the mid 80s here.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Your bosses have all been the opposite of what I expected. Plague Rat and Shrooooooooooooooooooom are usually 2 of the harder fights for me while Thunder and Storm and this fight are really easy. Though to be fair it's been a looooong time since I fought Starman Deluxe legit. I'm always either ridiculously overleveled from spending an hour grinding for a Sword of Kings or I'm at a normal level and I Multi Bottle Rocket it because screw that noise. I'm curious to see how the next few go. The next one can go badly but I don't usually have much trouble. The one after that can go really bad really fast and usually ends up eating a desperation MBR.

Yeah I think out of all the bad things I did during the fight, what really killed me was not just focusing my attacks on the starman deluxe since all his buddies just die when he does. If I had just done that I probably could have won without it even getting off a starstorm, but for some reason I thought that only worked on santuary bosses. And I decided a while ago I wasn't gonna grind for the sword. For some reason even though I played this a ton of times as a kid, I only really tried grinding for the sword once, and I never could get it to drop on a single playthrough. At this point I think I just avoid it out of some deep seeded childhood hatred. Oh, and I hate grinding. That's definitely a factor.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 33 - A Funny Little Murder

After getting starstormed a lot we take a little break and hang out where our journey first began. This one's a little bit of an interlude video, just showing off a couple things we hadn't done yet, and cleaning up the trash fire that had become our inventory.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

You "need" the pencil and eraser erasers for a certain boss in a while.

You don't actually but it gives you a funny message if you use it on the boss before the fight.

Edit: Also Guy Fieri unironically owns. The dude gives so much free business to family run places and people hate him because he enjoys himself while he's doing it.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 27, 2018

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ness is now officially a homeowner, which is part of the foundation of the Eagleland Dream

I'll grant you that it's arguably something of a fixer-upper, but since our heroes are literally children they have extra time to put in equity and spruce up the place

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

suicidesteve posted:

You don't actually but it gives you a funny message if you use it on the boss before the fight.

Edit: Also Guy Fieri unironically owns. The dude gives so much free business to family run places and people hate him because he enjoys himself while he's doing it.

coincidentally I am watching a Guy Fieri barbecue bit right now

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Good call, I forgot about that.

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah I used to poo poo on him a lot and now diners drive ins and dives is like one of 3 reasons I turn on my tv

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So watching this made me want to play Earthbound again. Obviously this means I bought an SNES classic because I apparently haven't bought these games enough times yet. My 3 year old daughter wanted to help so I let her take over after we got Buzz Buzz. She made it back to Star Man Junior and beat it with a little help from me telling here where to go.

I've never been more proud of someone accomplishing something that's mostly literally impossible to fail.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 34 - Fobby Hall

We're alive! We've both been busy and recording has been tough lately, but for now we're back on schedule. It's time for Lumine Hall, or Lumine Hole as the guide mistranslates it to. I might have gotten some shield stuff wrong in this video? I'm not sure. There's some stuff going on where I think you still get damaged by reflected attacks even if you have a shield up. Not too much to say about Lumine Hall, every enemy is basically just a reskin of old ones we've already seen. Definitely a bit of a reprieve after the Stonehenge base.

suicidesteve posted:

So watching this made me want to play Earthbound again. Obviously this means I bought an SNES classic because I apparently haven't bought these games enough times yet. My 3 year old daughter wanted to help so I let her take over after we got Buzz Buzz. She made it back to Star Man Junior and beat it with a little help from me telling here where to go.

I've never been more proud of someone accomplishing something that's mostly literally impossible to fail.

I love it. As far as an essential snes collection I think it's great, really all it's missing is Chrono Trigger.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Any character can only have one type of shield at a time - when you cast Shield, it eliminates the PSI Shield, and vice versa. (I used to use this when grinding, once Ness reached level 99 - to focus the EXP gain on the characters who needed it, I'd start Super Starman battles with PSI Shield Σ and then have Ness use Shield α on himself so he'd die on the first attack, then use the remaining characters to finish the fight.) Electro Specter's lightning probably doesn't count as PSI, even though it has the same effect as PSI Thunder β, so it doesn't affect the shield. It's a good thing, too - I believe Thunder eliminates any shield in one hit, even if it's reflected.

This is also the first time I ever noticed that the spell letters are in mixed case: You've got lower-case α, β, and γ, but upper-case Σ and Ω.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

That's why I said it's mostly impossible to die to star man jr. If you level up until you learn shield, you can cast it and overwrite Buzz Buzz's PSI shield. Do that and Star Man Jr's attacks can actually kill you.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Nidoking posted:

Any character can only have one type of shield at a time - when you cast Shield, it eliminates the PSI Shield, and vice versa.

Oh boy. Not sure how I didn't pick up on that! I thought thunder just went through shields or something.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 35 - Exposition Rock

We get into the meat of the Lost Underworld and learn about how awesome we are from Exposition Rock. We're deeeeeeeep into this game now!

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 36 - Dogfights and Mindflights

We got no time for sanctuary bosses, we got us some truth to touch.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 37 - Nightmare in Dream Land

We head deeper into Magicant and see some of its enemies, including the Carefree Bomb, killer of countless Flying Men across billions of Earthbound playthroughs.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Surprised you didn't consider the Ultimate Bat worth throwing away once you had the Magicant Bat. No real point keeping it.

I don't believe you can get Earth Pendants anywhere else, so I usually buy a couple in Magicant and store them. They're not quite the best pendant in the game - I'm pretty sure the Sea Pendant from the Lost Underworld is stronger, and one of the enemies in the Fire Cave has a Star Pendant as its rare drop, which I think guards against Fire, Flash, Freeze, and Paralysis, but if you did the grinding for the Sword of Kings, that's a bit too much fighting.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Nidoking posted:

Surprised you didn't consider the Ultimate Bat worth throwing away once you had the Magicant Bat. No real point keeping it.

I don't believe you can get Earth Pendants anywhere else, so I usually buy a couple in Magicant and store them. They're not quite the best pendant in the game - I'm pretty sure the Sea Pendant from the Lost Underworld is stronger, and one of the enemies in the Fire Cave has a Star Pendant as its rare drop, which I think guards against Fire, Flash, Freeze, and Paralysis, but if you did the grinding for the Sword of Kings, that's a bit too much fighting.

I think from this point on I was tired of inventory management and tried to do as little as possible. I apologize in advance to anyone who likes a clean inventory.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

This fight is unusual in that it really rewards abusing the rolling HP meter. You can take a Metal Omega and still get several attacks in before you have to heal. I think I usually let Ness drop to around 150 before I stop attacking and do a full heal. It's all about being as quick as possible to minimize the chances it has to use Lifeup. You get a lot more damage in while saving a lot of PP.

You touched on this in your video, but if your goal is to run it out of PP, defending makes your HP roll down slower until your next turn, which can buy you an extra turn or 2 before you have to heal. Obviously that's not going to help against the one-shot Flash, but I think the Earth Charm stops that.

And I think you have to use the pencil eraser on the statue before the fight.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Earth Pendant only protects you from Flash 50% of the time. Ness’s Nightmare’s Glorious Light is Flash Omega and if you aren’t wearing a Night, Sea or Star Pendant it will kill you outright before long. It’s one reason why it’s wise to give Ness the Sea Pendant as soon as you find it.

All that said, contrary to the ridiculous PP attrition strategy the official guide advocates, the rolling HP meter trivializes the fight and it is easily won with Auto Fight.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

You touched on this in your video, but if your goal is to run it out of PP, defending makes your HP roll down slower until your next turn, which can buy you an extra turn or 2 before you have to heal. Obviously that's not going to help against the one-shot Flash, but I think the Earth Charm stops that.

How am I still learning things about this game

suicidesteve posted:

And I think you have to use the pencil eraser on the statue before the fight.

I feel pretty dumb for not realizing this. Not sure why I didn't think of that. To be fair, I looked it up on the wiki and I don't think it specified, but, yeah, still dumb

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 38 - Zexonyte and the Shield Confusion Incident

We take a trip back to Onett and get hosed up a bit. My button mashing ways get me into trouble in this video as I'm mashing so fast I read the text wrong, leading to what I like to call the Shield Confusion Incident. If you've never played the game and wanted to see it for yourself, here's your warning as we do head into endgame territory here. It's weird finally making it here after playing Persona 5 and other really long rpgs. I kinda want there to be more stuff to do cause I'm sad to see it end. There's no millions of sidequests or a bunch of long story cutscenes, just some children who need to take care of their business and beat down some aliens. It's time for us to meet our destiny or whatever. I hope you're ready, cause the next video is the finale!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

A couple of notes about PSI levels: Healing γ is sufficient to cure diamondization, and I'm pretty sure β is enough to cure feeling strange - I learned some things about what levels cure what conditions when I hit Auto-Fight in some drawn-out fights and the AI used techniques I thought were too weak to cure those conditions. Granted, the menu also tells you, but I had the guide, so I never bothered to dig around. Ness/Gerg will never learn Healing Ω - just like Poo/Ryan will never learn Lifeup Ω. Everyone has their own specialties.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Healing beta cures everything short of paralysis, death and diamondization (and things like mushroomization and possession that Healing can't cure at all).

Or to put it another way, Healing beta cures everything except death and the things you'd have to see a Healer to fix.

Also, not that anyone ever wastes precious inventory space with these items but the Refreshing Herb is Healing beta in a can, and the Secret Herb is likewise for Healing gamma.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

And the Horn of Life is Healing Ω. Never tried Cup of Lifenoodles on anything but death, so I have no idea whether it works the same way.

I could have sworn there was one more thing that requires γ to fix, but I can't think of what it would be.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cup of Lifenoodles and Horn of Life are the exact same item, yeah. The only difference is the Horn of Life is buyable and the Cup of Lifenoodles isn't. I have no idea why the devs felt like they needed to be two different items. The CoL sells for like $100, so did they worry that you could sell an early Horn of Life for $900 and break the game? That's the only explanation I can think of (other than "LOL EarthBound :allears:") but we're talking about a game in which, near the very beginning of the game, you can buy a whole inventory full of Fresh Eggs at $12 each, dick around for a few minutes then sell the resulting chickens for $110 each.

So basically, thatsearthbound.gif

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ahahahaha, oh my god that first fight was an absolute delight to watch. Hitting yourself with Metal omega, then reflecting it back onto yourself, is peak Earthbound.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Ahahahaha, oh my god that first fight was an absolute delight to watch. Hitting yourself with Metal omega, then reflecting it back onto yourself, is peak Earthbound.

Lol. This is exactly why I had the player's guide with me at all times, but I quickly found out that as funny as the guide is, it doesn't give much information on enemies. It gives you their stats, but doesn't usually say what they actually do to attack you.

I'm starting to think it's impossible to play through Earthbound without eating a couple of your own attacks. Fate won't allow it. Clearly every Earthbound speedrun is fake or tool assisted.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Hey everybody, here's a Gerg update for you. Sorry for the radio silence, life got weird and bad for us lately, especially Tyrel, and recording has been really tough. We'll probably talk about it in our next videos. We do have the next video recorded, it just might be a couple more weeks before I can put it up. Just wanted to say we didn't disappear, just had to take a little break from nerd poo poo

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Cool, I'd started to worry. Hope you guys are doing alright.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

life got rough, so you took a bit of time off, which is just what Gerg's dad would have told you to do

so sit back and enjoy your coffee break, so you can come back at your best

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

SatansOnion posted:

life got rough, so you took a bit of time off, which is just what Gerg's dad would have told you to do

so sit back and enjoy your coffee break, so you can come back at your best

We finally took his advice after telling him to go away one hundred times.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 39 - Universal Cosmic Showdown

After a long break, we're back with an extra long one! Will Gerg fulfill his destiny, or will getting starstormed in the face repeatedly be too much for robot children to bear? If you've never finished Earthbound and wanted to see the end for yourself without people talking over it, definitely don't watch this till after. It's still very powerful after all these years, and probably way more so playing it for yourself. I'm a little desensitized to it actually because I've watched it so many times.

One more thing: this is the end of the journey, but it's not the finale. We're gonna do one or two more videos that will be much more podcasty and basically talk about what we think about the game, its legacy, how the playthrough went, my embarrassing mistakes that are forever immortalized on the internet, you know, the works. I feel like if I say more than that it's getting kinda spoilery, so, yeah. I think it's still one of those games you don't want spoiled even after 20 plus years.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Now that the game is over and it's no longer spoilery, I can finally link to this, which is amazing and very apparently had so much love poured into every moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hVuv7mDNqM

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

What's up everybody! Happy new year, holidays and all that good stuff. Just wanted to give an update on the TyrGerg lp situation. We're still planning on finishing Earthbound, but unfortunately it's still gonna be a while longer, so instead this post will be everyone's favorite: a Life Update! Basically what started us needing to take a break was my work schedule changing due to someone at my job quitting. I had to start working on the only day of the week we could record, and then around the same time Tyrel started working what felt like one thousand hours a week, so there was just no time to record. Maybe we could have worked something out, but we don't really wanna make videos where we're both exhausted, as obviously it probably wouldn't result in a great video. I work overnights and Tyrel works days, so it's tricky to find a time to record where one of us isn't about to pass out asleep.

Anyway all of this is to say our lives are a little more stable now and we're planning on getting back to it in 2019, not just finishing Earthbound but playing some other stuff as well. Eventually, anyway. Currently I'm looking for a new place to live, so I'll probably have to figure that out before we get this operation going again. It figures cause I was finally able to change my schedule to something a little more reasonable, but you know, poo poo happens. Point is, we're getting there, and we haven't disappeared, hooray! Well, I still lurk anyway. I think Tyrel just works and wrecks people in Rocket League with the van, and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I'll be waiting for the thrilling conclusion whenever you guys get around to it. Good luck with life stuff!