Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

r u ready to WALK posted:

I like better how a usb 1.1/2 A plug fits snugly in any 8p8c ethernet jack

any port in a storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
lots of male connectors itt

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i like vga more than dvi. i always get get usb superposition phenomenon with dvi.

and i like regular displayport over mini. i feel like smaller connectors can come loose easier

pram
Jun 10, 2001

me likey

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

mod petition: change this thread to ‘The Connector Thread’ and post your favourite deprecated and edgecase connectors.

edge case connector? howzabout just an edge connector?!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

gettin a chub here

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You can fit a USB-C cable in a type A 3.1 port and it makes my computer just lock up and whoops it's right next to the type C port.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

what are these used for anyways?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

akadajet posted:

what are these used for anyways?

military garbage that needs heavy duty digital interconnects

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

military garbage that needs heavy duty digital interconnects

they should make a usb 4 standard around it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

thebigcow posted:

You can fit a USB-C cable in a type A 3.1 port and it makes my computer just lock up and whoops it's right next to the type C port.

wait, so like the outside metal of the type-c cable is shorting out the pins in the type-a plug or something?

jesus goddamn how did usb end up such a disaster

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

AtomD posted:

anyone know how these were to work with

these were pretty great hth

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Don Lapre posted:

Stick it in me

unnnnnnh

sca was so good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

usb-A is the best connector ever invented except for maybe like the 1/4" TRS audio plug

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

usb-A is the best connector ever invented except for maybe like the 1/4" TRS audio plug

so this is like, a super awesome cable!

(i found this in a drawer the other day and have no idea where the gently caress it came from - it was in a sealed bag and i've never owned anything that needed it :iiam:)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Samtec has the coolest connectors.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Farmdizzle posted:

(i found this in a drawer the other day and have no idea where the gently caress it came from - it was in a sealed bag and i've never owned anything that needed it :iiam:)

those are fun because they’re explicitly in violation of USB standards.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

exactly

i knew this, too, so that why i was especially like "wtf?" when i found it

i think it might have come with an ooooold as gently caress cable or dsl modem that supported either a usb or ethernet connection, leased from an isp like 15 years ago

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I’m a big fan of a to a cables

tons of usb 3 hubs come with them too

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Farmdizzle posted:

my coffee roaster uses one of those

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

SO DEMANDING posted:

wait, so like the outside metal of the type-c cable is shorting out the pins in the type-a plug or something?

jesus goddamn how did usb end up such a disaster

apple made lightning and they got caught with their pants down so they tried to ape the design and half-assed it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Apple designed USB-C too fyi

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Farmdizzle posted:

i have an external 2.5” hdd enclosure that uses this. idc if it violates a standard its way better than loving with one of the finicky little variants on the drive end

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

ah yes, the connector that you have to flip over twice to insert properly. definitely the best.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Remember to use a condom when sticking it into a stranger's port.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Farmdizzle posted:

maybe get that thumb looked at

Stereotype posted:

wait what

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

ah yes, the connector that you have to flip over twice to insert properly. definitely the best.

I've never understood this argument. If the like two-and-a-half seconds it takes you to make this connection at most 3 or 4 times a day are seriously negatively affecting your life, I hate you and you should be put in jail

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
The USB logo should be on only one side of the connector. It says which side is up.

Still a crapshoot if your USB ports are rotated 90 degrees.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

high voltage n?

Stick Insect posted:

Remember to use a condom when sticking it into a stranger's port.

don't you have to negotiate higher current with the host controller nowadays?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

also the existence of both sma and rp-sma is an affront to all that is good

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

NEED MORE MILK posted:

also the existence of both sma and rp-sma is an affront to all that is good

especially when you use equipment that toes the lines of both 'consumer' and 'carrier' like ubiquiti stuff

my favorite is that i have seen a 3d printed spacer for the external threads so you'd just touch the tips of the male pins, simultaneously violating the sma spec, loving up the swr, and kinkshaming everyone at once

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Apple designed USB-C too fyi

they were part of the consortium not the sole designer

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

maybe get that thumb looked at

wait what

USB (at least before C) was a strictly host-client architecture because power delivery was dumb, just a V+ and V- pin with nothing really controlling it. If you plugged together two computers (hosts) with one of those A to A cables, it would make a dead short between the power rails of both USB controllers and fry them

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

DJ Commie posted:

don't you have to negotiate higher current with the host controller nowadays?

Yeah, so it's gonna be slow charging. The condom is mostly about protecting against malware messing with the files on your phone('s SD card).

I don't think the condoms protect against USB killers. Some phones have their own protections against that, intentional or not.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I think a better idea is to use public and untrusted chargers only to charge up a bunch of USB power banks, and then when you have verified that their batteries didn't explode because the USB socket delivered 120V or whatever you can use those to charge up your phone indirectly.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

these look like usb cables i rolled over with my chair

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DJ Commie posted:

especially when you use equipment that toes the lines of both 'consumer' and 'carrier' like ubiquiti stuff

my favorite is that i have seen a 3d printed spacer for the external threads so you'd just touch the tips of the male pins, simultaneously violating the sma spec, loving up the swr, and kinkshaming everyone at once

i went the other way once and fabbed up a center pin for an RPSMA so i could use it with regular SMA gear lol
soldered the little sumbitch in and everything

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

they were part of the consortium not the sole designer

usb c is lightning with more pins and the receptacle inverted into the male head.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

The Management posted:

usb c is lightning with more pins and the receptacle inverted into the male head.

don't link shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hifi posted:

are there any electrical connectors that use a collar around some ball bearings like water hose quick connects

i don't think so, the equivalent are going to be bayonet locks

the ip67 ones are going to screw down in some way and have a bunch of replaceable gaskets

• Locked thread