Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Management posted:

usb c is lightning with more pins and the receptacle inverted into the male head.

Yeah a bunch of idiots came in and really hosed it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Farmdizzle posted:

so this is like, a super awesome cable!

(i found this in a drawer the other day and have no idea where the gently caress it came from - it was in a sealed bag and i've never owned anything that needed it :iiam:)

These are only made to confuse people who try to plug a nas into a computer via usb

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

all of my usb midi devices still use the b connector, as does my external hd.

usb-b is the best usb imo

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

fuctifino posted:

all of my usb midi devices still use the b connector, as does my external hd.

usb-b is the best usb imo

hmm. same, but so does my printer. a cable of contrasts

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Clipart1994bot/status/972339031462895616

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
i encountered a mini-din bnc the other day, that was fun*

* for various values of fun, including but not limited to nearly shearing off a fingernail in the tight clearances on the device in question

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that high density bnc is cute. too bad SMA's so dead cheap to manufacture tho

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

hobbesmaster posted:

i don't think so, the equivalent are going to be bayonet locks

the ip67 ones are going to screw down in some way and have a bunch of replaceable gaskets

this looks like star wars

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

that high density bnc is cute. too bad SMA's so dead cheap to manufacture tho

also it works super well, rated up to like 18GHz as a standard

the 3.5mm variant goes to 34GHz which is insane

BNC is like 4 lol

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Stereotype posted:

also it works super well, rated up to like 18GHz as a standard

the 3.5mm variant goes to 34GHz which is insane

BNC is like 4 lol

what even uses regular BNC in 2018? all i can come up with is cheapo oscilloscopes, arduino controlled stuff for ~makers~, and that legacy machine vision/cctv cam that hasn’t been written off yet

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the best usb connector

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

suck my woke dick posted:

what even uses regular BNC in 2018? all i can come up with is cheapo oscilloscopes, arduino controlled stuff for ~makers~, and that legacy machine vision/cctv cam that hasn’t been written off yet

full size handheld ham rigs still use it, but that's more because they're often built on commercial chassis, which are designed for wacky poo poo like TNC or other weird larger connectors for durability. theyd have to have a dinky SMA in the middle of a spacer or something

imo the only good way to use a BNC in 2018 is to file the bayonet lugs off of the jack, and you now have a quick-disconnect breakaway RF connector that's decent to a gig or two. if you're fuckin around operating in a field or something and catch the antenna coax with your foot, saves your radio from tumbling down into the mud

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
why didnt they just make one really small usb connector for everything to start with?

is there an overton window for connector size

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pram posted:

the best usb connector

:emptyquote:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

most oscilloscopes

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

can we get a Nice! emoticon?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

still pretty widely used in broadcast tv. 4k is implemented as 4 teamed SDI lines

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
its a valid connector as it has less loss at uhf+ than pl259/so239 and is more compact than n

tnc is really what should be used but its a rare connector if you're not an old motorola mobile radio

what's really fun is when you have a mixed bag of 50 and 75 ohm bnc that someone bought surplus and has used to assemble cables for customers

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

pram posted:

the best usb connector

Fixed it for you

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

anything that isn't high voltage in nuclear and radiation instrumentation

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

DJ Commie posted:

what's really fun is when you have a mixed bag of 50 and 75 ohm bnc that someone bought surplus and has used to assemble cables for customers

holy poo poo gently caress this

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Silver Alicorn posted:

can we get a Nice! emoticon?

:yossame:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

atomicthumbs posted:

holy poo poo gently caress this

they all er' made outta wire *pulls up britches* plus n' screw onto plugs so get your city slicker (fart) standards outta the way of my radioshack (burpppppp) brand pliers cause we gotta [dies at 52]

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Bulgakov posted:

they all er' made outta wire *pulls up britches* plus n' screw onto plugs so get your city slicker (fart) standards outta the way of my radioshack (burpppppp) brand pliers cause we gotta [dies at 52]

the ham thread is over there

but yeah there's a combo of a 50/75 ohm bnc connection that still works, the other way is intermittent at best and destroys the connector if there's any repetitive movement or you pass more than handheld radio power through it

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 11, 2018

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
dont you just look at whether it has the plastic dielectric? i think 50 ohm has it, 75 doesnt

this is as dumb as the people getting flustered about usb A. just look at the plug. it has an obvious top and bottom, as does the jack you're putting it into. if you cant see the jack, you can make an assumption based on how the circuit board is probably mounted in there, and if not, well, you gotta try once and then you know for next time

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

suffix posted:

why didnt they just make one really small usb connector for everything to start with?

is there an overton window for connector size

I don’t get it either, and it’s not even like the case of mDP and DP where we can pretend those latches on the big one are totally going to keep it from dropping out the port in industrial applications.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

the best usb connector

this is pretty good

the OG cables arent

and 3 metere long ones from ali express are VERY good

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Raluek posted:

dont you just look at whether it has the plastic dielectric? i think 50 ohm has it, 75 doesnt

if they could operate the crimper they made 'em, and it was the kind of place where if you sucked at sales you got sent to the tech department

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

take all my money lowtax

:yosnice:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

how long does it take an emote to propagate? it shows up in the big list

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

like ten minutes when i bought :nfpa:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that’s a good one

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

does someone have to manually push a button or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maybe, i dunno

pm lowtax about it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

:protarget:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

does someone have to manually push a button or something

it takes a few minutes to go through

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
low tax gets an email which prompts him to roll over in bed and ssh into the server and manually edit a config file that has a hard-coded regex for doing smilies.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The Management posted:

low tax gets an email which prompts him to roll over in bed and ssh into the server and manually edit a config file that has a hard-coded regex for doing smilies.

no wonder it costs 30 bux

• Locked thread