Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

think of it this way: it's not the ceiling that is different, but the floor.

china has built supercomputers, launched people into space (my favorite onion article btw), builds their own fighter jets, etc. and nearly every little bit of electronics you've ever bought was made in part in china. the country is perfectly capable of working to a very high standard, and their best work is at least approaching if not equal to the best work done in the western world.

the difference is that the worst work coming out of china is so much worse than the worst stuff here. i'd say this is partially due to an extreme attitude of Caveat Emptor in chinese business culture, and partially due to a severe lack of regulation and enforcement of the regs that do exist. if an american restaurant was caught skimming oil out of the sewers to re-use in their deep fryers, it would be national news for months and people would be going to prison left and right. an american company that made a set of jackstands from melted down zinc carburetors would not be allowed to put that product on sale, and if they faked the certification standards, again, people would be going to jail.

in chinese business, whether because of apathy or cultural inertia or corruption, you can generally always find someone who's willing to sell you a hammer for 390 dollars per 1000-units, shrugging and doing whatever they have to do to meet that price point. it will be cheap, and it will be lovely, but americans seem to really struggle with "you get what you pay for," for some reason.

post the onion article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQhX8PbNUWI

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

think of it this way: it's not the ceiling that is different, but the floor.

china has built supercomputers, launched people into space (my favorite onion article btw), builds their own fighter jets, etc. and nearly every little bit of electronics you've ever bought was made in part in china. the country is perfectly capable of working to a very high standard, and their best work is at least approaching if not equal to the best work done in the western world.

the difference is that the worst work coming out of china is so much worse than the worst stuff here. i'd say this is partially due to an extreme attitude of Caveat Emptor in chinese business culture, and partially due to a severe lack of regulation and enforcement of the regs that do exist. if an american restaurant was caught skimming oil out of the sewers to re-use in their deep fryers, it would be national news for months and people would be going to prison left and right. an american company that made a set of jackstands from melted down zinc carburetors would not be allowed to put that product on sale, and if they faked the certification standards, again, people would be going to jail.

in chinese business, whether because of apathy or cultural inertia or corruption, you can generally always find someone who's willing to sell you a hammer for 390 dollars per 1000-units, shrugging and doing whatever they have to do to meet that price point. it will be cheap, and it will be lovely, but americans seem to really struggle with "you get what you pay for," for some reason.

holy gently caress those examples werent hyperbole

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Despite the Chinese authorities running a campaign to crack down on gutter oil production, they admit they have no way of distinguishing legitimate cooking oil from gutter oil. Unless companies are caught in the act, there’s no way of determining whether a restaurant is using new or used oil.

Gutter oil production is clearly big business in China: a 2011 crackdown on gutter oil production saw police deal with 128 cases and 60,000 tonnes of gutter oil over a period of four months. It’s frequently referred to as an “open secret” in the restaurant industry in China.

https://www.foodprocessing.com.au/content/ingredients/article/gutter-oil-out-of-the-sewer-and-into-the-frying-pan-782655007

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I’m reminded of the story from years back where there were companies in China making cheap soy sauce out of human hair

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol don’t call you kitchen “china”

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I’m reminded of the story from years back where there were companies in China making cheap soy sauce out of human hair

some folks cast doubt on the original video, but no one could actually be sure whether it was real

china.jpg

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

echinopsis posted:

Despite the Chinese authorities running a campaign to crack down on gutter oil production, they admit they have no way of distinguishing legitimate cooking oil from gutter oil. Unless companies are caught in the act, there’s no way of determining whether a restaurant is using new or used oil.

Gutter oil production is clearly big business in China: a 2011 crackdown on gutter oil production saw police deal with 128 cases and 60,000 tonnes of gutter oil over a period of four months. It’s frequently referred to as an “open secret” in the restaurant industry in China.

https://www.foodprocessing.com.au/content/ingredients/article/gutter-oil-out-of-the-sewer-and-into-the-frying-pan-782655007

do they not have an analytical chemist over there

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

suck my woke dick posted:

do they not have an analytical chemist over there

an honest one? no

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my function generator has usb-b for control. I’m not excited for learning the api if it even exists.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Stereotype posted:

my function generator has usb-b for control. I’m not excited for learning the api if it even exists.

since its chinachat its an knockoff knockoff prolific chip or a knockoff3 ftdi chip pre-bricked for your convenience

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

has anyone said infiniband yet

v satisfying to have a handle on your connector

or how about sfp

anyway thats the extent of my mid 2000s ~enterprise~ connector memory cya

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

LC is modern and widely used. See FC or MTRJ for dumb ones that no one uses now. Same with SFP type items, GBIC and Xenpak would be the less used obnoxious ones today, in most cases.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

DJ Commie posted:

since its chinachat its an knockoff knockoff prolific chip or a knockoff3 ftdi chip pre-bricked for your convenience

FTDI worked with Microsoft to push a driver update that killed hardware that uses counterfeit chips

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

caveat emperor

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

has anyone said infiniband yet

v satisfying to have a handle on your connector

or how about sfp

getting triggered by MM fibre being inserted into a SM SFP

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

it works over short distances iirc with massive issues due to core size mismatch

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sfps and lc connectors are good

ST connectors suck

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
there are going to be a minimum of 3 different form factors for the next generation of ethernet, that will be fun

apparently heatsink needs are now way too big to fit into ye olde sfp form factor

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

FTDI worked with Microsoft to push a driver update that killed hardware that uses counterfeit chips

yes, because they'll be scavenged from scrapped bricked hardware

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I don't think I've ever seen a "legit" FTDI chip. Not even stuff made by Agilent/Keysight had legit ICs in them.

When your supply chain management is so bad that nobody can even get legit chips then you've hosed up as a company.

use SiLabs CP210x instead, they Just Work

Partycat posted:

it works over short distances iirc with massive issues due to core size mismatch
can confirm that 10G ethernet is fine with 1m MM patches and SM transceivers.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Progressive JPEG posted:

horrible memories of learning how to take these fuckers apart in bad circumstances

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

NoneMoreNegative posted:

mod petition: change this thread to ‘The Connector Thread’ and post your favourite deprecated and edgecase connectors.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the ultimate back of computer plug :prepop:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Has anything ever got plugged into one of those?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
i had a hard drive dock in that brief era when esata existed but usb 3 didn't and it was handy for cjing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

r u ready to WALK posted:

Has anything ever got plugged into one of those?

not esata but i use mine all the time on my old thinkpad b/c its a high current usb port

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Dell Docks only have 5x USB ports so the eSATA is a handy 6th

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what do u have on 6 usb ports

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
kb, mouse, phone, headphones transmitter, headphones charger

could get a USB charger but I've run out of powerpoints too

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
the last time i installed windows 7 on a physical computer I didn't have a blank DVD to burn an ISO on and making a bootable thumb-drive was still annoying back then

so i plugged the ssd into my eSata port on the laptop and ran the first stage installer in vmware then moved the SSD to the real computer and booted into the second stage install

that's my esata story, it's the only time I ever used it for anything useful

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

longview posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a "legit" FTDI chip. Not even stuff made by Agilent/Keysight had legit ICs in them.

When your supply chain management is so bad that nobody can even get legit chips then you've hosed up as a company.

:agreed: and it would be extremely good and funny if FTDI got sued for breaking $250k oscilloscopes for developing ram and displayports and poo poo

hail esatan

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
The Century Of National Humiliation.

Shaggar posted:

its absolutely racist to assume because its Chinese it will be inferior when it would be just as likely to be inferior if it was American made. its fud spread by dongle makers like apple who don't want you buying superior, cheaper cables from better manufacturers.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

china is a one-party state marked by endemic corruption. the court systems do not function for any foreign party, or any suit with a particularly well-connected defendant. it is routine for unscrupulous dealers to contaminate the domestic food supply, to say nothing of consumer goods made for export

Sagebrush posted:

shaggar, bsd and sagebrush, ya'll so so wrong and racist for lumping the taiwanese and chinese together

because pretty much ALL of the so called 'chinese manufacturing' are actually taiwanese corps that has factories in china using cheap chinese labors, they are passable because those taiwanese corps managing the factories and acting as gatekeepers/qa/qc

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idgi taiwan is part of china

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

luv 2 have these grab on to the usb cable so hard that I can only remove it with pliers

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are going to be a minimum of 3 different form factors for the next generation of ethernet, that will be fun

apparently heatsink needs are now way too big to fit into ye olde sfp form factor

I'm surprised they aren't just doing some kind of plate that presses down on the top or bottom and heatsinks out through the chassis

pram
Jun 10, 2001

nong posted:

shaggar, bsd and sagebrush, ya'll so so wrong and racist for lumping the taiwanese and chinese together

because pretty much ALL of the so called 'chinese manufacturing' are actually taiwanese corps that has factories in china using cheap chinese labors, they are passable because those taiwanese corps managing the factories and acting as gatekeepers/qa/qc

ah yes the republic of china is not chinese

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

nong posted:

you're continuing the racism by claiming Chinese companies must have non-Chinese oversight in order to deliver a good product.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

luv 2 have these grab on to the usb cable so hard that I can only remove it with pliers

a lady in my office insists on plugging these guys into esata/usb ports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Rock My Socks! posted:

a lady in my office insists on plugging these guys into esata/usb ports

seeing one of those on a laptop at work is a sure sign you will see that person repeatedly dropping their mouse trying to walk to a meeting

i know trackpads are novel to some people but for a slide deck they dont need their 11 button logitech and they seem real perplexed by this

• Locked thread