Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Procgen is the wrong description, pregen sounds closer to what I mean, hallway A will connect to hallway B one game, then next game it will be hallway H to hallway X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Has there been any comment about how the metaprogression system is going to work so far? Because I really hope it's not going to be as grindy as VT2.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

maybe fatshark will find a way to make it work, but from my brief time with B4B, its reuse of level segments across the campaign mostly just seemed to make the levels feel like they had no distinct identity and weren't memorable. either fully procgen like DRG or fully handcrafted like L4D still feels like the way to go.

Angry Lobster posted:

Has there been any comment about how the metaprogression system is going to work so far? Because I really hope it's not going to be as grindy as VT2.

this video from last page has some high level info but a lot of the specifics are still speculation. they've said that there will be vertical progression, weapons will have random rolls, there will be the ability to move weapon traits around in some way, the ability to chase a specific weapon type through a contract system, and the ability to buy specific weapons directly using generic money gained from wins. How grindy this turns out to be in practice is up to the numbers but the confirmed existence of a cosmetic cash shop and the terribad approach to itemization in VT2 does not inspire hope.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 10, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

maybe fatshark will find a way to make it work, but from my brief time with B4B, its reuse of level segments across the campaign mostly just seemed to make the levels feel like they had no distinct identity and weren't memorable. either fully procgen like DRG or fully handcrafted like L4D still feels like the way to go.

That's definitely something I'm a little worried about, especially with home memorable VT levels could be.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Warframe does it just fine, for the most part. If it's close to that, it'll be grand.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

this video from last page has some high level info but a lot of the specifics are still speculation. they've said that there will be vertical progression, weapons will have random rolls, there will be the ability to move weapon traits around in some way, the ability to chase a specific weapon type through a contract system, and the ability to buy specific weapons directly using generic money gained from wins. How grindy this turns out to be in practice is up to the numbers but the confirmed existence of a cosmetic cash shop and the terribad approach to itemization in VT2 does not inspire hope.

Missed that part, thanks. Let's hope they learned a bit from VT2 and they minimize the most bullshit parts of the metaprogression system. The rng loot approach and the progression system saddled down VT2 as a game, imo.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

Warframe does it just fine, for the most part. If it's close to that, it'll be grand.

Yeah but in warframe you fly through them at the speed of sound. The levels themselves barely matter. At least that's how it still was when I played it from beta until a couple years ago.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kokoro Wish posted:

I mean...it doesn't? When I think of my time with Warframe I think of a bunch of generic rooms or outdoor areas stitched together with little memorable coherence, when I think of my time with VT I think of carefully designed maps leading to exciting setpiece moments and evocative visuals.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Wizards tower

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Warframe’s level generation felt fine for what it was going for, but that game* was about flying through through those rooms at the speed of sound with a build that automatically melts every enemy before you can see them while L4D-style games are much more about the space you have to navigate through with a balance of speed and safety to minimize attrition, so you really get to know those levels and setpieces and it’s important for them to feel distinctive.

*at the point when I last played it, which was an entire 3-4 years ago, so given that game’s development history I assume it’s now some kind of real-time strategy pinball JRPG

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

For me, Warframe's best parts of the scenery is when doing stull like Data Vaults on Spy missions or boarding ships on Railjack where you get a real sense of place. In general though I don't find Warframe's levels too different than doing the Chaos Wastes mode in Vermintide and as for the equivalent bespoke story levels Warframe really does not have enough and they're all basically one time things that it's really hard to evaluate them against Vermintide's, which are extremely well done.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Is it worth going back to the first vermintide to play maps like Wizard Tower? I've only played the second game but the first goes on sale fairly often.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wizard's tower is still a blast and I like the original Drachenfels maps better.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Man I loved VT1. I wish I could take the career variety and just port that back.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Thinking of grabbing Vermintide 2 on the massive sale it's seeing currently and wondering if Winds of Magic is worth picking up at a steep discount ($8.00). Looks like there was a lot of scorn for it when it released but have they made it worthwhile to grab in 2022? Are the Beastmen balanced finally?

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

Thinking of grabbing Vermintide 2 on the massive sale it's seeing currently and wondering if Winds of Magic is worth picking up at a steep discount ($8.00). Looks like there was a lot of scorn for it when it released but have they made it worthwhile to grab in 2022? Are the Beastmen balanced finally?

It depends if you like that game mode, or think it's worth it for the weapons you get.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Memnaelar posted:

Beastmen are in Chaos Wastes mode anyway whether you buy it or not, and CW is the best way to level up currently as Adventure mode doesn't give partial XP for failures due to a bug. WoM has some good weapons that are probably worth the price of admission. The Weaves are deserted though, so don't plan on playing those with randoms.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Fishstick posted:

as Adventure mode doesn't give partial XP for failures due to a bug

:fatshark:

poo poo like this is the only thing that makes me worry about Darktide. How many times have severely disruptive bugs been allowed to hit the live game, and for how many months do they typically sit until they're fixed?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Winds of Magic is fine for 8 bucks. The new level is good, the weapons are all pretty decent. Weaves suck but they were the prototype for the alternative weather and colour palette swaps that you see in the rest of the game so that's cool.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Fishstick posted:

Beastmen are in Chaos Wastes mode anyway whether you buy it or not, and CW is the best way to level up currently as Adventure mode doesn't give partial XP for failures due to a bug. WoM has some good weapons that are probably worth the price of admission. The Weaves are deserted though, so don't plan on playing those with randoms.

Was thinking of just running through all the "base" levels for the story on Recruit and then going into CW after that... So, you're saying that you level your characters the same in either Custom or CW? Or are they separate tracks somehow?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
CW and Adventure ("normal") mode share XP/levels, the only difference is that in CW you don't need any upgraded weapons or trinkets as everyone starts with white versions of their weapons and no trinkets, partial XP on failures works, and you get a lot more boxes at the end of a succesful run.

Counterpoint is that it's generally a lot harder than adventure, especially if youre just starting out. There's a couple talents you'll want before trying some the harder stuff, specifically each career's level 15 (?) talent that gives temp hp.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chaos Wastes is very fun though I'd like more maps. The randomized nature of talents, enemies and weapons makes it a lot more replayable. I like the base game maps a lot but VT2 did lose something when it decided to make every level a gauntlet run instead of the objective style maps you'd also get in VT1 alongside gauntlets. Sometimes you just want to play Black Powder, Well Watch or Docks. Or Wheat and Chaff if you're a masochist. I also quite liked the one where you steal grain from the market square.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Everyone misses ram the manparts.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/darktide40k/status/1552685635219210240

Is there a darktide thread yet? may be time to make one.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Chakan posted:

I was actually looking for one recently myself. Game's pretty close to release, and I was surprised there wasn't one already.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Chakan posted:

Had to kick it back so they could polish up Sienna's DLC class no doubt

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I went ahead and threw together a new thread for Darktide.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

This game will likely never see Playstation

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Wonder if they'll have that baked in twitch integration bullshit vermintide 2 had on release for darktide. That was some quality level shenanigans.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I would love to see more mechanics which allow audience participation. It's a cool idea which is hardly utilized.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hey dead thread, FS has a page going on where you can sign up for the Darktide closed beta Oct 14-16. They'll email you a form you fill out with your deets and computer specs and maybe they'll select some of us to test it.

https://www.darktide.live/signup

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks! I'm wondering if I didn't get it last time because my specs aren't high enough. I can run VT2 just fine, but I might need a new PC for Darktide.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

No Playstation options on that beta.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

No. 6 posted:

No Playstation options on that beta.

It's not been announced for Playstation so if it eventually does come out for those platforms, it won't be for awhile.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Okay, so who else got a taste of Darktide and is jonsing for some Vermintide 2 while we wait for release?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I didn't play darktide but I fell into a v2 hole a few weeks ago and have played every day since. Trying to do all the achievements for beating every map on legend with every class. Don't know what I'll do after that because cata seems like it will be very frustrating for me - poor reflexes, plus the diceroll of teammate competency.

Absolutely love this game's melee mechanics. I wish there was a 60-hour single-player epic on the market with similar melee mechanics

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm surprised by the number of people still playing. I was able to get a Veteran game going with no wait at all. Who is still playing Veteran after all this time?!?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

big cummers ONLY posted:

I didn't play darktide but I fell into a v2 hole a few weeks ago and have played every day since. Trying to do all the achievements for beating every map on legend with every class. Don't know what I'll do after that because cata seems like it will be very frustrating for me - poor reflexes, plus the diceroll of teammate competency.

Absolutely love this game's melee mechanics. I wish there was a 60-hour single-player epic on the market with similar melee mechanics

You'll find the people in cata a lot more competent than those you meet in legend. I'd say just dive in (once you have lvl 35 talents and a solid build) and let the others know you are new to cata and they will usually be pretty forgiving and try to look out for you a bit more. That said, if you have 4 people who all know their roles and can actually dodge, a cata run can almost be a casual romp to the finish but often if one person makes a one bad choice at the wrong time - run over. You will improve v. quickly playing cata

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Best thing to do if you're unsure of your skills is to stick by a teammate who does know what they are doing so they can assist you and you can assist them. Running off by yourself is suicide but even a bad player can act as a force multiplier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah I'm usually not the weakest player on the team but idk. I still take dumb damage, still find myself out of position or left behind, etc. And I have anxiety about being the reason a run fails. We'll see if I ever even finish legend, maybe I won't have to worry about it!

e: I will say that while competency varies and gets worse during prime time, most groups in Legend are Good Enough right now and there's usually at least one player on the team who is slumming it and can carry if they have to. And only maybe 3 toxic players in 80+ games so far.

1) Two people friendly firing me and another guy the entire time, but in a way where I thought they were just bad. They FFed us down just outside of the exit portal and then teabagged us. I quit out after 30 seconds because I didn't want to help amuse them by getting downed every few feet to the portal. I thought this kind of trolling died years ago
2) Someone ran ahead of the group constantly, just sprinting through areas, playing a warhorn sound effect through voice chat. That was unfunny and we died instantly so it wasted my time but that's on the lower end of toxicity
3) Just now had a Sienna who was yelling and trying to micromanage positions in the middle of a fight, got mad at us for moving on, complained that it was our fault when she dropped. I told her "stfu or leave, toxic af" and she stopped. Finished the map after friendly firing me a few times in questionable circumstances, then quit the game ten feet from the exit portal for some reason? She wasn't hosting so she didn't own any of us

As long as you aren't trying to actively ruin my time, I will suffer any amount of incompetence.

I would love to hear stories of griefers or bad teammates from everyone still watching the thread.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 18, 2022